Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

BASEBALL!!

23 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I was gonna say the pride of Reed, but only the Cali boys were posting so I didn’t think they’d get it.

I read that as the pride of Weed.

There IS a town called Weed in NorCal

54 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I read that as the pride of Weed.

There IS a town called Weed in NorCal

Weed is so small that you drive through it in about the same amount of time it took me to type this. :D They do have cool JUCO there (College of the Siskiyous) with an awesome view of Mount Shasta. 

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x54ce0ad7951ab9c9%3A0xf01c97771622f1d8!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMrpXCjtgc2VVN2exFhLgTWbv899kMdWQhUgi-z%3Dw213-h160-k-no!5sJUCO in Weed%2C CA - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNmCQ6MbX-cgyKmvlC29JeyGihJSCXcIjjWVsky&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj68t-v08fsAhUFqZ4KHV4tBTgQoiowCnoECA4QAw

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Good pitching matchup Friday night 

Hopefully Dave Roberts has finally learned how to manage his pitching staff. He has a history of mental gaps in pressure situations pulling pitchers at the wrong time, etc.

https://www.dodgersnation.com/its-time-for-the-dodgers-to-move-on-from-dave-roberts/2019/10/10/

1 minute ago, crixus said:

Hopefully Dave Roberts has finally learned how to manage his pitching staff. He has a history of mental gaps in pressure situations, pulling pitchers at the wrong time, etc.

Was tonight not bad pitching management? It almost seems like they ceded game 2, hoping the lineup would carry them through. They didn’t. Snell was awesome and the front bullpen got shelled. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

28 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Was tonight not bad pitching management? It almost seems like they ceded game 2, hoping the lineup would carry them through. They didn’t. Snell was awesome and the front bullpen got shelled. 

Read my post again and the article I just linked to it (above). I didn't blame Roberts for game 2 against the Rays, I'm talking about his very documented history. I did an internet search on the topic and found a slew of articles on his poor pitching management decisions. It's common knowledge to Dodger fans and is talked about all the time on sports radio and TV here in SoCal. 

Here's some more articles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dave+roberts+history+of+poor+pitching+management&rlz=1CCZBMY_enUS684US684&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.35i39i362l3...3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

One of the few notable athletes from my ol' high school Reed !!! 

Edward C. Reed High School - Sparks, NV

The only notable athlete from my High School was Conrad Dobler, known as being a troublemaker and named Pro Footballs Dirtiest Player by Sports Illustrated. He played college ball at Wyoming and then for the Cardinals & Saints. 

37 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

OTOH, Jansen, Urias and Graterol were not touched :shrug:

30 minutes ago, crixus said:

Read my post again and the article I just linked to it (above). I didn't blame Roberts for game 2 against the Rays, I'm talking about his very documented history. I did an internet search on the topic and found a slew of articles on his poor pitching management decisions. It's common knowledge to Dodger fans and is talked about all the time on sports radio and TV here in SoCal. 

Here's some more articles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dave+roberts+history+of+poor+pitching+management&rlz=1CCZBMY_enUS684US684&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.35i39i362l3...3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I’m not trying to argue postseason baseball from an empiricist standpoint. I don’t believe playoff baseball is like that. I was just asking how Dodger fans felt about it. Because I’m married to one, and she is as every good tortured baseball fan should be. Kirk Gibson isn’t even a memory to her. It’s all been torment and lately terror ever since.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

19 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I’m not trying to argue postseason baseball from an empiricist standpoint. I don’t believe playoff baseball is like that. I was just asking how Dodger fans felt about it. Because I’m married to one, and she is as every good tortured baseball fan should be. Kirk Gibson isn’t even a memory to her. It’s all been torment and lately terror ever since.

Well, like I said. I don't blame Dave Roberts for last night's loss. I just hope his history of poor pitching management is behind him. On Monday's Tuesday's Around The Horn on ESPN the LA reporter (Ramona Shelbourne) talked about it too. I personally like Roberts and hope he's got it worked out and stays in Dodgerland for a long time.

*Tell your wife to hang in there, I've been a Dodgers fan since Lasorda first took the helm and I still bleed lad.png&w=72&h=72&transparent=true blue.

16 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

OTOH, Jansen, Urias and Graterol were not touched :shrug:

We’ll sure, they’re rested. But 27 outs in a loss which at the start was a winnable game doesn’t cover Roberts in glory. 2-0 without pitching Buhler and Kershaw seems like a helluva lot better position to be in than our best bullpen guys are fully rested.

This is one of the the things that makes postseason baseball still magic. No matter how much the launch angle and the ob% come to matter, it still comes down to small ball. And the managers adjusting their bullpens have only become more important.

The Dodgers seem to have ceded game two. Hoping that their rested studs, combined with their all star lineup, could win a 5 game series over an overmatched lineup. Maybe it’ll work. I think it’ll probably work. But one wrench in the plan, one crazy late inning game, could throw the whole thing off the tracks.

There is still some innovation left in baseball as yet unexplored. Would handing the ball to Jansen, saying get us three outs or if it goes well as many as can, have made less sense to you more than greasy Jesus? Even if things went wrong, that brutal lineup is still there. And if they go right? Well, you’re on your way to matching a Cy Young winner throwing peas with a lineup built to crush.

18 minutes ago, crixus said:

Well, like I said. I don't blame Dave Roberts for last night's loss. I just hope his history of poor pitching management is behind him. On Monday's Tuesday's Around The Horn on ESPN the LA reporter (Ramona Shelbourne) talked about it too. I personally like Roberts and hope he's got it worked out and stays in Dodgerland for a long time.

*Tell your wife to hang in there, I've been a Dodgers fan since Lasorda first took the helm and I still bleed lad.png&w=72&h=72&transparent=true blue.

Losing is a cross all sports fans must bare. She’ll be alright. It builds character, if not unmentionable stress.

3 hours ago, crixus said:

Shasta is so gosh dang impressive driving through those parts. All of a sudden there's this ginormous mountain all by itself. It's unsettling in a way.

14 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Shasta is so gosh dang impressive driving through those parts. All of a sudden there's this ginormous mountain all by itself. It's unsettling in a way.

It's over 14,000 feet tall and volcanic to boot. I love Mount Shasta, it's my favorite mountain in America. I find it kind of spooky at night under a full moon. It attracts a lot of people that are involved in mysticism (which I'm not). And the Native American tribes in the area say it has spiritual powers. Here's a picture of it from Lake Shastina. I didn't take the picture, but I've got a Google Photos album full of them. 

ZsQtgFx4LHNlqIYmCzsNY_LQ8Payps6axPq2Ibim8CKdOe1FCjOsQ7UAh5Z4EeVafmip-scjjMUrdM1NqYXsqu_GHYQzGtOqjCPJiZm9e7uj4zLEjRk_ZSsCtf2_gsUQSpURf5_4eVP0DgUXluP-kXoH7M_iJMqU3TDuSGOrDr7uGPT6biSjt-5tLdj9vjOAF4mRGn9DBBY3nMyUf1Mlbtd4lQp1yQed76F8iiMsm79a14ffJJL9BaU41ey6HW_EkXFAklT5hHtPsAmumSLlILGkX2hDolgY7GJFkP1aKCa07WeKZnnRWqnzKifJp2t-x-N-Xufrk8zRUtwkOyQacWOAf5Uj00hQtIYlJ_Qrvjyv2iZXunziafe2goEzGMi7w3WFGjKBfySUbkAvU5JjwkP_15rGsCUhl3v3rVQQ-meqzpUWgc0XQq5VXzTXYAI3vSd3FxK6XVa8VCEKlloKXPdWR4tFyMse3WTREWrYAI-pIFddwPV4uxXQMQgiYIyhBQvKBKFahleVCw3Kvv8eNWMSo-SpdyvaV39ezaXAME-kOarlhVCV2JftVc4-_eIONppnOVtoX01THEQsGSWzOMMB3lllWnrFj2KarNkrFIVNU7lKrykrfRCqE4ykVGPEqUW-3ol4hAd_rGSjVq3aHBDQYRfoyBfbC0eWm_5PbsKYnqjMlfBw8eZRlEpg4g=w640-h426-no?authuser=0

6 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Have you thought about a new wife?

26 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Have you thought about a new wife?

Alas, I’m smitten. She has all the vices I admire and none of the virtues I despise. Besides, I can’t tell you how funny this tragic Dodgers run has been the past few years for me.

Big game for the Dodgers tonight. They can’t afford to lose with their ace on the mound because the following game will be an assortment of bullpen arms again. Urias should start , but Roberts will save him for relief.

I trace the Dodgers World Series dilemmas in the past seven years on not having three dominant pitchers. The Nationals weren’t that great last year, but they won it with dominant pitching. 

How the hell the Giants won three World Series pitching Bumgarner just about every game was amazing. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Big game for the Dodgers tonight. They can’t afford to lose with their ace on the mound because the following game will be an assortment of bullpen arms again. Urias should start , but Roberts will save him for relief.

I trace the Dodgers World Series dilemmas in the past seven years on not having three dominant pitchers. The Nationals weren’t that great last year, but they won it with dominant pitching. 

How the hell the Giants won three World Series pitching Bumgarner just about every game was amazing. 

*Tomorrow night. Sorry, we’re screwed. It’s all politics tonight.

What Bumgarner did was legendary. My grandkids won’t believe it when I tell them how amazing it was.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

*Tomorrow night. Sorry, we’re screwed. It’s all politics tonight.

What Bumgarner did was legendary. My grandkids won’t believe it when I tell them how amazing it was.

There's an NFL game tonight.