Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

BASEBALL!!

Just now, sebasour said:

Well it took one weekend for a COVID breakout with The Marlins.

I really have a hard time seeing sports without a bubble happening in this country

Which is why I think the options are

1. pushing to spring (ie possible vaccine by then)

2.Just being happy with the NBA/NHL (sports that can do a true buble as many of the teams have been eliminated already and are at/near playoff)

3. Intentionally infection players- tad bit unethical and if a 1,500 NFL players get COVID one will probably have a bad outcome (not saying death but requiring hospitalization). Plus some of the coaches/support staff could have negative outcomes

4. Just deal with it like any of illness. If you are too sick to play/practice then don't. If not keep practicing/playing but wear a mask and distance as much as possible. I have a hard time seeing the union/other players accepting this option.  

3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Giants earn split with Dodgers. It’s hard as hell to win baseball games. 

Which if we actually have a full baseball season is HUGE for the Giants! I mean the goal would be to finish 2nd in the NL West (or have a decent enough record as the 3rd place team to get the 7 or 8th playoff bid). Giants can't really ask for more (realistically) than splitting with the dodger. 2-2 so far, 6 more games to go. 

1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

Which if we actually have a full baseball season is HUGE for the Giants! I mean the goal would be to finish 2nd in the NL West (or have a decent enough record as the 3rd place team to get the 7 or 8th playoff bid). Giants can't really ask for more (realistically) than splitting with the dodger. 2-2 so far, 6 more games to go. 

I was listening to KNBR yesterday and they said the Giants shortstop Crawford is the only starter from last years opening day lineup (and he's about to be replaced with the young kid from Honduras). 

BTW...MLB has proven that the model CAN work!  Miami is sick...so they are out for a week or two and the MLB just rearranges the schedule on the fly.  Let's say Wyoming is scheduled to play Nevada and Texas State is scheduled to play Rice.  Rice and Nevada have outbreaks...well guess what Wyoming, you are now hosting Texas State this week!  It is absolutely outside the box and poses a lot of logistical hurdles but MLB is seemingly proving that those hurdles can be overcome.

8 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

BTW...MLB has proven that the model CAN work!  Miami is sick...so they are out for a week or two and the MLB just rearranges the schedule on the fly.  Let's say Wyoming is scheduled to play Nevada and Texas State is scheduled to play Rice.  Rice and Nevada have outbreaks...well guess what Wyoming, you are now hosting Texas State this week!  It is absolutely outside the box and poses a lot of logistical hurdles but MLB is seemingly proving that those hurdles can be overcome.

Yeah would be easier for college football to do it than mlb. The early they start the season the better though. I mean if you have 14-15 weeks to play 10 games it might be possible. Test/contentain as best you can but if a team has an outbreak they basically get shut down for a couple of weeks.  

In the mlb, especially with a short season, this basically eliminates the marlins. I mean they will start back up in a week with what 60% of the initial roster and then some random players to file the other spots until the regulars get back (probably 10-14 days or so from positive test). That week of games with the B team might be enough to eliminate them considering this is only a 60 game season. 

20 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Yeah would be easier for college football to do it than mlb. The early they start the season the better though. I mean if you have 14-15 weeks to play 10 games it might be possible. Test/contentain as best you can but if a team has an outbreak they basically get shut down for a couple of weeks.  

In the mlb, especially with a short season, this basically eliminates the marlins. I mean they will start back up in a week with what 60% of the initial roster and then some random players to file the other spots until the regulars get back (probably 10-14 days or so from positive test). That week of games with the B team might be enough to eliminate them considering this is only a 60 game season. 

I assume the pro sports leagues pay for their own testing, but how would college football be able to test and, more importantly, get results quickly enough to make the season possible? There is a 7-10 day turnaround time for results in my county. 

33 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I assume the pro sports leagues pay for their own testing, but how would college football be able to test and, more importantly, get results quickly enough to make the season possible? There is a 7-10 day turnaround time for results in my county. 

I have an 4-8 hour turn around for my test (work in a hospital). Point being they can get them done faster if they want to. 

1 minute ago, thedude15 said:

I have an 4-8 hour turn around for my test (work in a hospital). Point being they can get them done faster if they want to. 

My wife is a RN at a skilled nursing facility, and her facility’s results took 6 days. They are among the highest priority in my county for obvious reasons, and even they are incredibly backed up right now. 

54 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

My wife is a RN at a skilled nursing facility, and her facility’s results took 6 days. They are among the highest priority in my county for obvious reasons, and even they are incredibly backed up right now. 

Depends on the platform, workforce, and most importantly, the reagent allocation. 

Abbott ID now has an ~8 minute positive, 15 min negative time. 

Cepheid- About the same as above

RT PCR (many vendors)- about an hour to extract, an hour to plate, 4 hours to cycle. Hour to validate.  

BD Max- 3-4 hours 

Those are all the ones I’ve seen. Then there’s the antibody tests which I won’t get into. 

Issues, as I mentioned, are reagent allocations and backlog of samples. 

If they want to get the tests done quickly, they need to do 2 things. #1 sequester enough reagents to last all year or at least have a reliable supply. #2 Create their own testing facility or pay a private lab tons of money to put them STAT priority every time. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

12 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Depends on the platform, workforce, and most importantly, the reagent allocation. 

Abbott ID now has an ~8 minute positive, 15 min negative time. 

Cepheid- About the same as above

RT PCR (many vendors)- about an hour to extract, an hour to plate, 4 hours to cycle. Hour to validate.  

BD Max- 3-4 hours 

Those are all the ones I’ve seen. Then there’s the antibody tests which I won’t get into. 

Issues, as I mentioned, are reagent allocations and backlog of samples. 

If they want to get the tests done quickly, they need to do 2 things. #1 sequester enough reagents to last all year or at least have a reliable supply. #2 Create their own testing facility or pay a private lab tons of money to put them STAT priority every time. 

Do you think it is realistic to test every P5 athlete and coach quickly enough to have sports? Not asking rhetorically. I say athlete because I just don’t see colleges being able to get away with canceling all sports but football, and if all sports are played I don’t see them getting away with anything but equal safety/testing protocols for all sports. It just seems unlikely it can be pulled off due to the sheer number of people we are talking about.