Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Eliminate SAT and ACT Requirements?

I’ve heard that UCs and CSUs got rid of using standardized tests in their admission process. It was found that they basically correlate with the ability of students to pay for test prep classes and did not correlate with actual ability

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

NBA is stealing the most talented recruits now. Kuminga is 17 and will make $500,000 in the G-league. 

Jonathan Kuminga, one of the nation's top 2021 high school basketball recruits, has reclassified to the 2020 class and graduated high school last month, he told The Athletic. 

And instead of playing a year of college ball, he's heading to the NBA's G League professional pathway program — a trend that's become more common this recruiting cycle. 

Touted prospects such as Jalen Green, Isaiah Todd and Daishen Nix had similarly opted to take that route. The program team, coached by Brian Shaw, includes professional coaching and mentorship outside of the traditional G League schedule, while competing against other G League teams throughout the season. 

The move for Kuminga — rated No. 1 overall in 2021 by ESPN and No. 4 by 247Sports — is somewhat expected. On May 22, he revealed his top school choices were Auburn, Duke, Kentucky and Texas Tech, while saying he was considering the professional pathway program. Kuminga will make $500,000 through the program, per The Athletic.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2020/07/16/jonathan-kuminga-2021-nba-draft-prospect-joining-g-league-program/5449538002/

58 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Howard landed a 5* recruit, no SAT/ACT issues there :coffeecomputer:

There’s been at least one BLM chapter that’s been telling black athletes to blow off the racist greedy white big P5’s and to attend all black schools only. He was probably influenced by that. 

kat.jpg

55 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I think that's disingenuous.

He wanted to play for a historically black college.

Maker did want to play for a HBCU.  And Howard is a fine university.  Other than the UCs and the Ivies, i just can't believe SAT and ACT scores of basketball recruits are that important to schools. Certainly not for the Kansas's, Kentucky's, etc. of the world. 

Disclaimer: I never took those tests; went the juco route and was accepted into UCI, UCSB and UCD.  

1 hour ago, godogsgo said:

I’ve heard that UCs and CSUs got rid of using standardized tests in their admission process. It was found that they basically correlate with the ability of students to pay for test prep classes and did not correlate with actual ability

That’s a valid reason to get rid of them.  Playing the race card isn’t.

I think getting rid of them would be a bad idea.  It's up to the admitting institution to decide whether to use them as a tool, or a standard.  The more competitive you can make your admissions, the more employable your graduates will be, and the heftier your endowment will be down the road.  If your admissions staff is smart enough to put the right amount of weight on test scores, they might have a leg up.  If they underrate or overrate standardized tests, they may be doing themselves a disservice.  Don't ditch the tools, learn to use them right.

2 hours ago, Coog kev said:

Why not? How is this unlike MLB plucking locker changing 11th graders right into MLB draft?  No wait..MLB is sacrosanct. 

The G league is quickly becoming a legitimate route for basketball prospects, and the one and done rule will likely be done away with in the near future. Great developments.

43 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I think getting rid of them would be a bad idea.  It's up to the admitting institution to decide whether to use them as a tool, or a standard.  The more competitive you can make your admissions, the more employable your graduates will be, and the heftier your endowment will be down the road.  If your admissions staff is smart enough to put the right amount of weight on test scores, they might have a leg up.  If they underrate or overrate standardized tests, they may be doing themselves a disservice.  Don't ditch the tools, learn to use them right.

I think they need better tools.

21 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

NBA is stealing the most talented recruits now. Kuminga is 17 and will make $500,000 in the G-league. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2020/07/16/jonathan-kuminga-2021-nba-draft-prospect-joining-g-league-program/5449538002/

This is exactly what should happen. If kids want to get paid to play sports go pro. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

4 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

This is exactly what should happen. If kids want to get paid to play sports go pro. 

Yes. Unfortunately that hasn’t been a realistic option for basketball players coming out of high school in the U.S. until, well, now. I expect next year to see many more top prospects go the G League route. If the one and done rule isn’t done away with for some reason, within a few years we will probably see almost all “one and done” players head to the G League anyway, with NCAA basketball churning out more NBA role players and guys that head overseas. 

29 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yes. Unfortunately that hasn’t been a realistic option for basketball players coming out of high school in the U.S. until, well, now. I expect next year to see many more top prospects go the G League route. If the one and done rule isn’t done away with for some reason, within a few years we will probably see almost all “one and done” players head to the G League anyway, with NCAA basketball churning out more NBA role players and guys that head overseas. 

I wonder how this will shake out. If a player signs with the G league out of high school are they giving up the chance to be a high first round draft choice?

Last year, the 1st round draft choice 2 year guaranteed contracts ranged from $20 million to $3 million. Will a kid still be able to cash in if they sign G-league contract?

20 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I wonder how this will shake out. If a player signs with the G league out of high school are they giving up the chance to be a high first round draft choice?

Last year, the 1st round draft choice 2 year guaranteed contracts ranged from $20 million to $3 million. Will a kid still be able to cash in if they sign G-league contract?

No they are going to be draft eligible next year, just like all the guys that went the NCAA route. All the prospects will be on a new G league team that is unaffiliated with any NBA team.

They should eliminate the shooting, dribbling, jumping and running requirements in order to be fully inclusive.  Or is it that only certain merit based requirements are "racist" and not others?  If the kids don't want to go to school and be actual college students, the NBA has a program for them.

Remember, if there are no standards, entrance into a university is based strictly on the whim of those individuals that are in a position make the decision.  This used to be known as tyranny.

This will not end well.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

They should eliminate the shooting, dribbling, jumping and running requirements in order to be fully inclusive.  Or is it that only certain merit based requirements are "racist" and not others?  If the kids don't want to go to school and be actual college students, the NBA has a program for them.

Remember, if there are no standards, entrance into a university is based strictly on the whim of those individuals that are in a position make the decision.  This used to be known as tyranny.

This will not end well.

Nah, they should just get rid of these tests as requirements for all students.