Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ghost of Jack Graham

Can the bank repo Canvas stadium when we stop paying our loan debt?

41 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

The Hoteliers are trying to get the city to fork out the millions (estimated $8m, but who knows?) to make the necessary mods. However, it seems pretty stupid for the Holiday Bowl to be played in a 42k seat baseball stadium with bad sight lines over a 40k football stadium with great sight lines. 

The Fenway Bowl.

Hockey matches in FB stadiums.

It works if people want to see it 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Padres and Petco owners have stated numerous times they will host the Holiday Bowl after The Murph comes down.

That's so nice, are they going to pay the roughly 7m the bowl is losing every year? That game was barely holding on the city has been struggling to keep it afloat.

Why would the city do that now? They had revenue coming in largely because they controlled the stadium. 

Which has been the problem with this con job from the beginning. There is no money in the stadium, no money from SDSU, the Holiday bowl is teetering, the state is strapped for cash, there was no need for the campus expansion before covid and absolutely no need now.

There was not one logical reason for any of it. SDSU got their pride wrapped up in having their own stadium and denying the soccer guys. Usually such follies end horribly. 

In this case it will work out well for the city who will shed costs but lose money on the exchange of property, and it's probably the end of a bowl game. It will end up sticking SDSU with a stadium too big and crumbling that they will have to figure out how to keep up with a limited budget and no municipal or state help.

So San Diego as a whole loses.

1 hour ago, JoeBlo said:

That's so nice, are they going to pay the roughly 7m the bowl is losing every year? That game was barely holding on the city has been struggling to keep it afloat.

Why would the city do that now? They had revenue coming in largely because they controlled the stadium. 

Which has been the problem with this con job from the beginning. There is no money in the stadium, no money from SDSU, the Holiday bowl is teetering, the state is strapped for cash, there was no need for the campus expansion before covid and absolutely no need now.

There was not one logical reason for any of it. SDSU got their pride wrapped up in having their own stadium and denying the soccer guys. Usually such follies end horribly. 

In this case it will work out well for the city who will shed costs but lose money on the exchange of property, and it's probably the end of a bowl game. It will end up sticking SDSU with a stadium too big and crumbling that they will have to figure out how to keep up with a limited budget and no municipal or state help.

So San Diego as a whole loses.

You're a sucker city supporter? Good for you!

12 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

Naw just against exploiting the public assets for a pipe dream.

Tell that to the additional 15k undergrads that will get to go to college at SDSU because of the project. 

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

Tell that to the additional 15k undergrads that will get to go to college at SDSU because of the project. 

According to SDSU's own study those students don't exist and campus expansion is unnecessary for the current (this was way before covid) expected student population.

If you don't think that is coming up to beat over someone's head when politicians are making budget cuts, then you have never paid attention to american politics.

That money will never get to SDSU. The optics are just terrible for anyone not in the San Diego bubble. Unfortunately the money comes from a much larger state that is not going to spend money on a SDSU's unnecessary dream.

It will be amusing to see if that happens before the lawsuits about the legality of the sale start. At that point does SDSU start hoping they lose that just to get out from under a terrible deal they leveraged themselves into?

16 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

According to SDSU's own study those students don't exist and campus expansion is unnecessary for the current (this was way before covid) expected student population.

If you don't think that is coming up to beat over someone's head when politicians are making budget cuts, then you have never paid attention to american politics.

That money will never get to SDSU. The optics are just terrible for anyone not in the San Diego bubble. Unfortunately the money comes from a much larger state that is not going to spend money on a SDSU's unnecessary dream.

It will be amusing to see if that happens before the lawsuits about the legality of the sale start. At that point does SDSU start hoping they lose that just to get out from under a terrible deal they leveraged themselves into?

Lmao, just SDSUfan with another sock on. You're so mad, hahahaha.

Assuming this new stadium never comes to fruition...
The elephant in the room for SUDS is their “home” stadium.  Are they going to continue to play in a cavernous, decrepit stadium off campus?  Where they probably have to chip in for repairs and pay annual rent. 
Or can they make a deal to play at Petco which although newer and nicer, is a baseball stadium. 
Asstecs aren’t in a very envious position. 

4 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Lmao, just SDSUfan with another sock on. You're so mad, hahahaha.

LOL

Why would i need a sock?

I stand unafraid to call this corrupt,profligate RIPOFF of the taxpayers corrupt, profligate and a ripoff.

Campus retail MY ASS

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

LOL

Why would i need a sock?

I stand unafraid to call this corrupt,profligate RIPOFF of the taxpayers corrupt, profligate and a ripoff.

Campus retail MY ASS

Weird how its not a sock but you showed up as soon as I made the comment without a tag. Either way you have been consistently wrong, keep it up.

25 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Assuming this new stadium never comes to fruition...
The elephant in the room for SUDS is their “home” stadium.  Are they going to continue to play in a cavernous, decrepit stadium off campus?  Where they probably have to chip in for repairs and pay annual rent. 
Or can they make a deal to play at Petco which although newer and nicer, is a baseball stadium. 
Asstecs aren’t in a very envious position. 

We could build a stadium and bond only the non-football revenues and still likely cover our commitments and then some...sorry you mad. 

6 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

We could build a stadium and bond only the non-football revenues and still likely cover our commitments and then some...sorry you mad. 

So everyone who disagrees with you is mad?  LOL

Remember, per your own poll you’re the angry one. If SUDS ever gets their own stadium then you can talk shyt. Until then, I don’t see it happening. 

Just now, Cincy said:

So everyone who disagrees with you is mad?  LOL

Remember, per your own poll you’re the angry one. If SUDS ever gets their own stadium then you can talk shyt. Until then, I don’t see it happening. 

We're mad in general, but Fresno certainly is one of the most jealous fan bases in the MW. Keep rooting for something you don't understand. 

12 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

LOL...again

Petco Park is larger, downtown and already hosts all of the major outdoor events that used to be held at Qualcomm.

8 mid major games isn't going to cut it.

SDSU athletics doesn't fund itself now.  TAXPAYERS fund fully half of the athletics budget.  In that sense, what's a few million more from the good citizens of Fresno to pay the debt service on this boondoggle.

Fresno State can't fix its toilets

SJSU considers it major progress that they can rent a bulldozer for a couple of hours to move some dirt around

SDSU is building a $500,000,000 stadium and "campus retail".

It's almost like the fix is in somehow.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

We're mad in general, but Fresno certainly is one of the most jealous fan bases in the MW. Keep rooting for something you don't understand. 

Jealous of what?

You must have a lot of friends. If someone disagrees with you then they don’t understand, they’re mad or they’re jealous. LOL. 

Like I said, get back to me when construction starts on your own stadium.

6 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Jealous of what?

You must have a lot of friends. If someone disagrees with you then they don’t understand, they’re mad or they’re jealous. LOL. 

Like I said, get back to me when construction starts on your own stadium.

Here you go. You can follow yourself, we're inside of 2 months. We're just the Mayors sig away now. 

image.png.45b4050328f0585f1ab1eef1904a7675.png

6 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Hey guys, I can't read this. What does it say?

image.png.c539a79765139770c996a149da7b3342.png

First I am no ones sock, phuckin tinfoil hat wearing mfs. I grew up in Santa Fe, durring the height of the WAC in the 80s/90s. Been a bit of a vagabond including a couple times living outside the country. Hate the way pro sports in America hold cities hostage for money they should be making on their own.  Something you don't see in other domestic leagues in Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

So I choose to follow college sports in general. No specific teams, tend to favor underdogs, but for obvious reasons am most familiar with the MWC teams and BYU/Arizonas, as well as NMST and UTEP.

SDSU tried to pull a slick pro sports move and are about to get stuck with a bad deal they did everything they could to get in.

It's also laughable how in denial some of the Aztecs are. The entire higher education system of California is looking at massive cuts. They will struggle to fund basics, trust me all those approvals won't mean a damn thing when billions of dollars are getting cut. Athletics aren't important and campus expansions in this covid world are definitely a no-no. That it was unnecessary before that is just the final Wile E. Coyote acme brick falling on them.

9 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

First I am no ones sock, phuckin tinfoil hat wearing mfs. I grew up in Santa Fe, durring the height of the WAC in the 80s/90s. Been a bit of a vagabond including a couple times living outside the country. Hate the way pro sports in America hold cities hostage for money they should be making on their own.  Something you don't see in other domestic leagues in Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

So I choose to follow college sports in general. No specific teams, tend to favor underdogs, but for obvious reasons am most familiar with the MWC teams and BYU/Arizonas, as well as NMST and UTEP.

SDSU tried to pull a slick pro sports move and are about to get stuck with a bad deal they did everything they could to get in.

It's also laughable how in denial some of the Aztecs are. The entire higher education system of California is looking at massive cuts. They will struggle to fund basics, trust me all those approvals won't mean a damn thing when billions of dollars are getting cut. Athletics aren't important and campus expansions in this covid world are definitely a no-no. That it was unnecessary before that is just the final Wile E. Coyote acme brick falling on them.

It's nothing like a pro deal. Saying that just makes you sound ignorant. SDSU is buying the land, not leasing it like a pro team. SDSU is liable for the costs including a public park, unlike a pro sports team. And unlike a pro sports team the school will add an additional 15k UG seats over 15 years helping meet regional demand for higher ed. 

All you have to do is link something showing SDSU, their funding, and their stadium are in jeopardy other than your inflamed feelings for me to take you seriously.