Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ghost of Jack Graham

Can the bank repo Canvas stadium when we stop paying our loan debt?

1 minute ago, Cincy said:

Good to know that we’re frozen in time. LOL

Does it upset you that they are making more money then needed with measly attendance? Why are Fresno and WYO fans so bitter?

2 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Does it upset you that they are making more money then needed with measly attendance? Why are Fresno and WYO fans so bitter?

Well... maybe running a profitable stadium that costs $11m/yr (maintenance plus bond) forced them to spend $60m over the past two years. LOL.

1 minute ago, Koji Vu said:

Well... maybe running a profitable stadium that costs $11m/yr (maintenance plus bond) forced them to spend $60m over the past two years. LOL.

The funny thing is that $60 mil is probably $70mil or more now. Wasn't that article from 2 years ago?

3 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Like I said. Look up the word sustainability. Maybe you’ll understand after you read the definition?

Bitter at what?  We’ve racked up a few conference championships in the last few years. CSU hasn’t done much even with a new stadium so o think you’re starting to reach here. 

Just now, Cincy said:

Like I said. Look up the word sustainability. Maybe you’ll understand after you read the definition?

Bitter at what?  We’ve racked up a few conference championships in the last few years. CSU hasn’t done much even with a new stadium so o think you’re starting to reach here. 

Sustainability? We talking a green project or you just making this up as you go?

6 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Sustainability? We talking a green project or you just making this up as you go?

Propping this up in hopes of SUDS' proposed stadium is all I can guess.

42 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

California is $54B in debt which they apparently plan to make up on Aztec football games.

That stadium is never happening. It wasn't before covid, it certainly isn't now. The legality of the sale not withstanding, the state was never going to approve the budget money for that. I know CSU came out and approved it, but their own studies showed they didn't need the new campus expansion. With covid forcing even fewer people on campus there will never be a need.

California isn't spending money they don't have because SDSU thinks they can replace the Chargers before all this, they certainly won't be now.

Holiday bowl is in trouble finacially.

Most likely outcome is SDSU gets out of rent, stuck with an old stadium and maintenance. San Diego finally quits pouring money into the Holiday Bowl and it collapses.

1 minute ago, JoeBlo said:

That stadium is never happening. It wasn't before covid, it certainly isn't now. The legality of the sale not withstanding, the state was never going to approve the budget money for that. I know CSU came out and approved it, but their own studies showed they didn't need the new campus expansion. With covid forcing even fewer people on campus there will never be a need.

California isn't spending money they don't have because SDSU thinks they can replace the Chargers before all this, they certainly won't be now.

Most likely outcome is SDSU gets out of rent, stuck with an old stadium and maintenance. San Diego finally quits pouring money into the Holiday Bowl and it collapses.

They already approved it, and the check will be delivered to the city the minute escrow closes in August. We can revisit this topic at that time.

4 hours ago, Koji Vu said:

They already approved it, and the check will be delivered to the city the minute escrow closes in August. We can revisit this topic at that time.

Lol you think just because people voted for it thay makes it legal?

I guarentee you, SDSU, and the city of San Diego end up in court. 

I will also assure you the money to change that slowly rotting carcass will never be further developed into a campus. Which means that as I stated SDSU will trade maintenance for rent and bye-bye to the Holiday bowl since the city won't fund it for no return.

Personally how SDSU tried to bend the city over I find it insanely amusing how it's going to finish. Essentially the city will pawn off a problem on a university who thought they were getting over on the city.

5 hours ago, slappy said:

Everyone is hurting right now for cash.  Difference will be who has to shutter sports and who cant pay the bills.  Let's see how this plays out.  Still early

It's not going to be easy on any school, including CSU.  We're still in pretty good shape right now, but nobody's kidding themselves about what we're up against.  We can skip this season and survive.  It will definitely hurt, especially with the ongoing construction of the women's sports complex.  I'm pretty sure we're still on the hook to complete and pay for that on schedule. 

The key is to play football and allow at least some fans in the gate.  The Denver Post drastically overstates the financial necessity of the CU game.  That's just a drama queen reporter in a back handed "CSU is cu's little brother" rant.  If we can get an 8 or 9 game season with roughly 50% capacity, I'd imagine we can meet all of our financial obligations without tapping into the reserves.  No season at all?  Well thank God for the reserves.

I'm not excited that Wyoming is struggling, I make a living up there.  I do think it's a case of people in glass houses though.

1 hour ago, JoeBlo said:

Lol you think just because people voted for it thay makes it legal?

I guarentee you, SDSU, and the city of San Diego end up in court. 

I will also assure you the money to change that slowly rotting carcass will never be further developed into a campus. Which means that as I stated SDSU will trade maintenance for rent and bye-bye to the Holiday bowl since the city won't fund it for no return.

Personally how SDSU tried to bend the city over I find it insanely amusing how it's going to finish. Essentially the city will pawn off a problem on a university who thought they were getting over on the city.

I see you now agree the money is in hand. We'll have to wait a little longer to prove your other points are incorrect as well. 

2 hours ago, Koji Vu said:

I see you now agree the money is in hand. We'll have to wait a little longer to prove your other points are incorrect as well. 

That wasn't the money I was talking about.

SDSU will not have the money to do anything to that stadium. Cali ain't cutting the check. I said that to start with. I have been aware of the political shell game for a while. Everyone has, but lil Aztecs run around acting like it is legit.

It seems unlikely it will ever get to the point where you can even ask the legislature for the cash. It will be in court about the time they try to finish the closing of the deal. Even if it survives what will likely be multiple challenges it won't get done. In case you didn't realize it Cali is going to be cutting higher education funding quite hard. With students unlikely to be on campus this fall and already having no need for campus expansion, while being way, way, way down the totem pole I wonder how this will work out?

10 hours ago, Bob said:

If CSU has 60 mil just laying around why did they leverage so much money? That doesn't make sense

When you're getting the money at 3.5% interest, you go big or go home. 

1 hour ago, JoeBlo said:

That wasn't the money I was talking about.

SDSU will not have the money to do anything to that stadium. Cali ain't cutting the check. I said that to start with. I have been aware of the political shell game for a while. Everyone has, but lil Aztecs run around acting like it is legit.

It seems unlikely it will ever get to the point where you can even ask the legislature for the cash. It will be in court about the time they try to finish the closing of the deal. Even if it survives what will likely be multiple challenges it won't get done. In case you didn't realize it Cali is going to be cutting higher education funding quite hard. With students unlikely to be on campus this fall and already having no need for campus expansion, while being way, way, way down the totem pole I wonder how this will work out?

(The money has already been allocated.)

11 hours ago, Cincy said:

Propping this up in hopes of SUDS' proposed stadium is all I can guess.

Ding. Ding. Ding. They are definitely a little sensitive to the possibility that big rona' hysteria is going to put their project on the backburner. I have a feeling investors are gonna pucker up to those revenue bonds when California continues to strangle their economy....additionally are the  donos the city was expected to rely on raining in to cover the $310 million deficit when small and medium businesses are struggling to stay afloat? 

image.png.c504ce7b47c124db422455618c52fddc.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 7/17/2020 at 12:37 PM, JoeBlo said:

Padres and Petco owners have stated numerous times they will host the Holiday Bowl after The Murph comes down.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

21 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Padres and Petco owners have stated numerous times they will host the Holiday Bowl after The Murph comes down.

The Hoteliers are trying to get the city to fork out the millions (estimated $8m, but who knows?) to make the necessary mods. However, it seems pretty stupid for the Holiday Bowl to be played in a 42k seat baseball stadium with bad sight lines over a 40k football stadium with great sight lines.