Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ghost of Jack Graham

Can the bank repo Canvas stadium when we stop paying our loan debt?

13 minutes ago, slappy said:

I am usually right.  I called this years ago.  In all reality your athletic department  should be shuttered.  It is a very real possibility.  

This is horrible timing. 2020 is the year when our debt obligation increases as well. I don't know by how much. The smallest number I've seen is a 50 increase from 8 million to 12.5 million. I've also seen an article that said that number is much larger. Who knows?

I picked a bad year to quit sniffing glue.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

This is horrible timing. 2020 is the year when our debt obligation increases as well. I don't know by how much. The smallest number I've seen is a 50 increase from 8 million to 12.5 million. I've also seen an article that said that number is much larger. Who knows?

I picked a bad year to quit sniffing glue.

Do you guys have all your ex coaches paid off yet.   I am surprised the university doesn't open up a weed shop to help pay its bills.  Would help

They're considering offering a 3 for 1 deal where Fort Collins residents can pay 150 bucks for a pair of stretchy girl pants, a manbun hair do, and a tramp stamp tattoo. The problem is, most CSU students already have a tramp stamp and the entire CSU student population already has a closet full of skinny jeans.

12 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Colorado State is sitting on a $60 million slush/"emergency" fund for economic shocks like this one. They're fine.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2017/08/20/how-did-new-colorado-state-stadium-finally-become-reality/581426001/

Don’t be naive. 

6 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Colorado State is sitting on a $60 million slush/"emergency" fund for economic shocks like this one. They're fine.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2017/08/20/how-did-new-colorado-state-stadium-finally-become-reality/581426001/

That article is three years old and that 60 million was the amount CSU raised from the donors, meaning they took out a larger loan then they had too. They took out a loan to put money in the bank to pay the loan. That's like paying off your Visa bill with your American Express card.

Every school in the country is facing tough economic times. CSU had a billion dollars in construction debt to pay off BEFORE covid-19, and they've maximized their revenue streams already by doubling tuition to pay for it all.

If you consider that "fine" more power too you.

13 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Don't bother with the nincompoops , this is a circle jerk thread for people who don't understand financing. 

4 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Don't bother with the nincompoops , this is a circle jerk thread for people who don't understand financing. 

But I'm bored! From the article, and note they've run a profit on the stadium every year and their overall athletic dept revenue has jumped something like $15m/yr because of this new stadium....

""It's why he put the $60 million raised through donations into a reserve fund that will only be tapped to cover the difference in those years. That's also where excess profits will go for now, he said. The university also has committed any money it makes from the sale and or development of the 162 acres surrounding Hughes Stadium to that reserve fund.""

21 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

People who understand "financing" call it finance, the extra "ing" is just a handy way to prove you're not part of that club.

Oh yeah, you guys are trying to convince yourself that a massive capital facilities campaign is going to happen in Whales Vagina shortly after covid crippled the world's economy.  

Since you're an expert in "financing", you must be pretty confident, but I'm pretty sure they're not giving stimulus checks to SDSU athletics.

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

People who understand "financing" call it finance, the extra "ing" is just a handy way to prove you're not part of that club.

Oh yeah, you guys are trying to convince yourself that a massive capital facilities campaign is going to happen in Whales Vagina shortly after covid crippled the world's economy.  

Since you're an expert in "financing", you must be pretty confident, but I'm pretty sure they're not giving stimulus checks to SDSU.

SDSU is about to make serious bank. Even if the stadium is a bust, the extra $12-14m/yr from increasing student fees (as the university goes from 30k to 45k students) will be more than enough to pay off the stadium debt. 

But the stadium won't be a bust. It'll be the only stadium in town that can support professional soccer teams and tourneys (including the Xolos from TJ and the Mexican National team when they want to make some extra bank in the US). Add in Rugby 7's, truck pulls, concerts, Holiday Bowl, maybe a new Poinsettia Bowl, and other events that want to put on a show to a market of 3.3 million (instead of a couple hundred K in Fort Collins)... we're good.  

29 minutes ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

Since you're an expert in "financing", you must be pretty confident, but I'm pretty sure they're not giving stimulus checks to SDSU athletics.

Oh yeah, that what us Controllers and CFO's do, we hem and haw about word usage. 

7 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

SDSU is about to make serious bank. Even if the stadium is a bust, the extra $12-14m/yr from increasing student fees (as the university goes from 30k to 45k students) will be more than enough to pay off the stadium debt. 

But the stadium won't be a bust. It'll be the only stadium in town that can support professional soccer teams and tourneys (including the Xolos from TJ and the Mexican National team when they want to make some extra bank in the US). Add in Rugby 7's, truck pulls, concerts, Holiday Bowl, maybe a new Poinsettia Bowl, and other events that want to put on a show to a market of 3.3 million (instead of a couple hundred K in Fort Collins)... we're good.  

That must be why SDSU is building a 40,000 seat stadium as the most high profile NCAA athletics program in a surrounding area with 10 million people: demand. San Diego has a history of really supporting sports teams/events.

20 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Not sure how we stack against CSU and their non-football related bookings but having a venue in SD is like having a goldmine. Hell our dilapidated Sports Arena is one of the most consistently booked venues in the world. A run down Q had a Beyonce and Jay-Z concert just a few years ago on top of near weekly events

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

That must be why SDSU is building a 40,000 seat stadium as the most high profile NCAA athletics program in a surrounding area with 10 million people: demand. San Diego has a history of really supporting sports teams/events.

You're just mad and not that bright

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

Now you're just bitter. If CSU can make a profit (quite a nice one), SDSU (with higher attendance numbers) can as well. 

11 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Not sure how we stack against CSU and their non-football related bookings but having a venue in SD is like having a goldmine. Hell our dilapidated Sports Arena is one of the most consistently booked venues in the world. A run down Q had a Beyonce and Jay-Z concert just a few years ago on top of near weekly events

Yeah, that's why three professional basketball teams and an NFL team all left.

Is there a city in America that has a shi+tier history of supporting sports than San Diego?

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

I'm bright enough to know that I've never heard a finance expert refer to finance as financing.

That's about as frequenting as a stripper using her real name.

To me, and this just me. I tend to use these terms differently because I have to work with the COO and CTO and others who are used to hearing it in common parlance. So, I use finance when speaking in general about the category, but I use financing when I am speaking on specific scenario or LOC or Angel Investor...etc. I could be wrong but you're the first person I've ever come across who cared. lol.