Jump to content
jdgaucho

NCAA allows D3 St. Thomas to jump directly to Division 1, join Summit League

Recommended Posts

The NCAA granted a waiver for the University of St. Thomas (MN) to move up from Division 3 directly to Division 1, bypassing D2 altogether. They will join the Summit League for most sports in 2021-2022, the Pioneer League for football, and men's hockey to be determined.  UST was kicked out of their current D3 conference, the MIAC, for dominating too much.

https://news.stthomas.edu/july-15-2020-press-release

The Tommies become the second full Division 1 program in the State of Minnesota.  @East Coast Aztec, you think we'll see some Gopher-Tommie contests in the near future?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of luck to them.  This is a rough time to take on the additional cost of jumping up two levels.  Being in Minnesota, if they can bring it in hockey they'll be in great shape though.  Football?  If I were an AD I wouldn't want anything to do with making that jump right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

The NCAA granted a waiver for the University of St. Thomas (MN) to move up from Division 3 directly to Division 1, bypassing D2 altogether. They will join the Summit League for most sports in 2021-2022, the Pioneer League for football, and men's hockey to be determined.  UST was kicked out of their current D3 conference, the MIAC, for dominating too much.

https://news.stthomas.edu/july-15-2020-press-release

The Tommies become the second full Division 1 program in the State of Minnesota.  @East Coast Aztec, you think we'll see some Gopher-Tommie contests in the near future?

At least one, I am sure.  St. Thomas and U of M cross-pollinate quite a bit.  It would be a fun game for the region.  Probably just once though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Best of luck to them.  This is a rough time to take on the additional cost of jumping up two levels.  Being in Minnesota, if they can bring it in hockey they'll be in great shape though.  Football?  If I were an AD I wouldn't want anything to do with making that jump right now.

St. Thomas is a major alumni web for Twin Cities millionaires.  Their funding of the program created a program to boost it to D1

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

St. Thomas is a major alumni web for Twin Cities millionaires.  Their funding of the program created a program to boost it to D1

That's great.  My statement of "best of luck" was sincere.  So was my statement that I'd hate to be an AD of a football program moving up right now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

At least one, I am sure.  St. Thomas and U of M cross-pollinate quite a bit.  It would be a fun game for the region.  Probably just once though.

 

It'd be fun across multiple sports, although I agree with you for only once in hockey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

 

It'd be fun across multiple sports, although I agree with you for only once in hockey.

Oh, no.  Football was my once.  I see no reason for non-revenue sports to have those two teams play one another.  Obviously hockey would not be a home and home agreement.  And probably just an exhibition 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Best of luck to them.  This is a rough time to take on the additional cost of jumping up two levels.  Being in Minnesota, if they can bring it in hockey they'll be in great shape though.  Football?  If I were an AD I wouldn't want anything to do with making that jump right now.

Pioneer Football league is super spread out, too. 

image.png.1fafa63e5a413b6ef564dd06e491c2cb.png

Hockey is probably trying to decide between NCHC and WCHA - both already have teams from Minnesota.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing their new Summit League friends who play football in the MVFC will help them out with ooc scheduling.  Won't surprise me to see the Dakotas or Western Illinois pop up every couple years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Pioneer Football league is super spread out, too. 

image.png.1fafa63e5a413b6ef564dd06e491c2cb.png

 

 

Pioneer is basically the 'we want to play D1 basketball, but dont want to pay for D1 football' football league.  At least in the short term, UST's OOC will probably entail D2 schools (lots of those in Minnesota), and lower tier D1AA.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they are going to become very competitive in the Summit League very quickly. The Summit has done a very good job making lemonade out of lemons with all the defections they have experienced; they actually have a pretty concise league geographically focusing on that upper Midwest region. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I read that they have a 5 year transition period instead of the normal 4 year.  Is that specialized for them because of the jump from d3?

Link to post
Share on other sites

By adding St Thomas, and Northern Colorado for baseball, the Summit is safe there as they'll be back up to seven members.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 10:07 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

Pioneer Football league is super spread out, too. 

image.png.1fafa63e5a413b6ef564dd06e491c2cb.png

Hockey is probably trying to decide between NCHC and WCHA - both already have teams from Minnesota.

I pay no attention to USD so had no idea there weren't at least a couple other conference schools in the same universe. Wow! How can they afford the travel?

As to St. Thomas, although he's no millionaire, by cousin attended that university after converting to Catholicism.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brillio said:

I read that they have a 5 year transition period instead of the normal 4 year.  Is that specialized for them because of the jump from d3?

Well I know they weren’t set to be kicked out of their league until after this next season, so maybe they just felt it was better to let them ride out their last year before starting the four year transition? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 11:07 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

Pioneer Football league is super spread out, too. 

image.png.1fafa63e5a413b6ef564dd06e491c2cb.png

Hockey is probably trying to decide between NCHC and WCHA - both already have teams from Minnesota.

 

This is not a bus league.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, robe said:

So they will stay non scholarship for football and add scholarships for the other sports. 

 

Yup.  It wouldn't make sense to jump two divisions and suddenly add 63 scholarships for football.  Their athletics budget is already going to shoot up by at least $10 million to be competitive in the Summit League and across D1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...