Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Canary in the Coalmine? University of Wyoming Enrollment down 20% (Undergrad) and 40% (Grad Students)

28 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Enrollment is way up at my cc. If you’re a freshman or sophomore why would you pay thousands of dollars for literally the same classes they have at the cc for $46/unit. Juniors and seniors are out of luck, I suppose, but we deliver a better product for cheaper at the lower division level imo.

My buddy at Casper College is worried, the administration there is really dropping the ball :/ 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I'm not sure I would want to hire a 21 or 22 year old (at least many of them) who spent college learning online from their parent's home and hanging out with their high school friends.

Like K-12, college provides socialization and professional development. I know I needed the in-person group projects and in-person mentoring from professors to grow up more and be ready for a professional environment which was very different than my parents world.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:33 AM, #1Stunner said:

Wyoming expecting 20% reduction in undergraduate enrollment and a 40% reduction in graduate enrollment.   The school facing a steep decline in tuition revenue.

Not good.... and I'm sure that the University of Wyoming is not alone.

Wyoming will probably be OK since it is the flagship University.  But we might see some layoffs in higher ed.  Some schools might go bankrupt.

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/university-of-wyoming-expects-20-enrollment-drop/article_82dd1e94-9185-564f-adc7-0c159644c31b.html

The University of Wyoming is expecting to have about 1,900 fewer students enroll this fall than were enrolled at the university in fall 2019.

UW had 6,212 undergraduates enroll for fall 2019 and, according to preliminary headcounts, that number is scheduled to drop 18.8% this fall.

The drop in number of graduate students will be even more drastic: With just 1,170 graduate and professional students scheduled to enroll, UW’s graduate student count is set for a 38.9% decline.

Well, PPE might still be in short supply, but I'm guessing the map supply chain is back on line and as a result people finally became aware the school is in Laramie. :ph34r:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

43 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

I'm not sure I would want to hire a 21 or 22 year old (at least many of them) who spent college learning online from their parent's home and hanging out with their high school friends.

Like K-12, college provides socialization and professional development. I know I needed the in-person group projects and in-person mentoring from professors to grow up more and be ready for a professional environment which was very different than my parents world.

Yeah to graduate an in-person college you have to navigate a minimum level of personal interaction and bureaucratic management. That's a big part of why a degree has a cachet still. It communicates a minimum level of computer, personal, and social competence.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 hours ago, happycamper said:

Yeah to graduate an in-person college you have to navigate a minimum level of personal interaction and bureaucratic management. That's a big part of why a degree has a cachet still. It communicates a minimum level of computer, personal, and social competence.

Plus, it shows you have the resilience to survive a keg stand.