Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Canary in the Coalmine? University of Wyoming Enrollment down 20% (Undergrad) and 40% (Grad Students)

Guest #1Stunner

Wyoming expecting 20% reduction in undergraduate enrollment and a 40% reduction in graduate enrollment.   The school facing a steep decline in tuition revenue.

Not good.... and I'm sure that the University of Wyoming is not alone.

Wyoming will probably be OK since it is the flagship University.  But we might see some layoffs in higher ed.  Some schools might go bankrupt.

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/university-of-wyoming-expects-20-enrollment-drop/article_82dd1e94-9185-564f-adc7-0c159644c31b.html

The University of Wyoming is expecting to have about 1,900 fewer students enroll this fall than were enrolled at the university in fall 2019.

UW had 6,212 undergraduates enroll for fall 2019 and, according to preliminary headcounts, that number is scheduled to drop 18.8% this fall.

The drop in number of graduate students will be even more drastic: With just 1,170 graduate and professional students scheduled to enroll, UW’s graduate student count is set for a 38.9% decline.

Not surprising with most universities going to an online format, there's no point in paying that kind of tuition to take an online class from home. Here in California our community college districts are already seeing a rise in enrollment. My dad teaches an online computer course through Taft Community College and his classes are already filled for the Fall semester and the college is requesting him to teach an additional two classes. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

1 hour ago, Rebels18 said:

It's about time Whyoming gets cancelled for their horrid racist and homophobic history!

It’s karma for knocking us out of the MWC tourney too 

17 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Some titanic shifts coming to education, higher education, and college athletics I fear.

Yep. They have way overpriced themselves for the value they offer in return. I don't understand why someone would get $45,000 in debt for a degree in oppressed women's studies, or feminist interpretive dance.  

Some 4 year degrees are worth the cost. My accounting degree has served me well, Engineering, nursing and other STEM fields are probably still worth it. 

My son is in a summer class at Nevada right now. I’m impressed at how it works. It’s 2hr 45m, four days a week for 1 month. He goes to campus every other day. If you don’t want to go, you don’t. All lectures are taped so you can watch at your leisure or again. You can DM everyone super easy, there’s a message board, access to online resources, etc. Granted, it’s a silly elective that he just wants to get out of the way but still. I get this technology has been around forever, and I get every college uses it but the model is changing and probably for the better. I think the hy-flex model or whatever it’s called can work.

There’s a waiting list for dorms at Nevada. People want an in-person experience or some level of it. I’m sure student headcount will be down and will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

4 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Yep. They have way overpriced themselves for the value they offer in return. I don't understand why someone would get $45,000 in debt for a degree in oppressed women's studies, or feminist interpretive dance.  

Some 4 year degrees are worth the cost. My accounting degree has served me well, Engineering, nursing and other STEM fields are probably still worth it. 

They will charge what people are willing to pay for it. I don’t think people should look for the government to pay them back for an experience I will say that. 

2 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Preach.  I got shouted down last time I said that some degrees are a waste of time and money 

29 minutes ago, brillio said:

Preach.  I got shouted down last time I said that some degrees are a waste of time and money 

So yall don't like freedom of choice? It's one thing for dummies to pay their money for something and another thing for a structural change caused by a virus that means a lot of kids won't be enrolling this fall. These things aren't connected, yet. 

3 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

FU! I make great use of my feminist interpretive dance degree!! I should have it paid off in the year 2865.

25 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

So yall don't like freedom of choice? It's one thing for dummies to pay their money for something and another thing for a structural change caused by a virus that means a lot of kids won't be enrolling this fall. These things aren't connected, yet. 

Some are choosing to sit out a semester or year of school. Nothing wrong with that. It gives them an opportunity to work and save some money. I think schools should be giving a tuition fee discount for online classes. 

3 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Some titanic shifts coming to education, higher education, and college athletics I fear.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

Costs have been falsely inflated and are out of control. Schools need to tighten up their budgets and decreased costs.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Costs have been falsely inflated and are out of control. Schools need to tighten up their budgets and decreased costs.

To me this is a lot like movement from traditional cable  to streaming. In this case though it's movement from in person education to online and the removal of overhead expenses allowing schools that find the right format to offer a competitive alternative (in price AND quality) to a "traditional" education. Ultimately though until hiring managers stop getting seduced by the school name it will be a slow trudge. 

19 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

in 2011 we were little more than other countries but not by much. right in line with Switzerland and Norway. 

http://www.oecd.org/education/EAG2014-Indicator B1 (eng).pdf

I don't know how much this has changed. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, brillio said:

I didn’t agree with you. People are paying for an experience. It’s none of my business to tell someone how to spend their money. As long as they don’t ask for a reimbursement I got no problem. 

2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Lolzzzz.  Where’d you get that from? I said people waste money and time on stupid degrees. 

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

I didn’t agree with you. People are paying for an experience. It’s none of my business to tell someone how to spend their money. As long as they don’t ask for a reimbursement I got no problem. 

Why do you need to announce you disagree with me?   I care about what people do when they take a loan out for a useless degree and then default on it and taxpayers have to cover it. 

8 hours ago, brillio said:

It’s karma for knocking us out of the MWC tourney too 

In fact, think of everything that has happened since that fateful night?! It’s all Wyoming’s fault!

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

in 2011 we were little more than other countries but not by much. right in line with Switzerland and Norway. 

http://www.oecd.org/education/EAG2014-Indicator B1 (eng).pdf

I don't know how much this has changed. 

Undergrad was reasonable when I went, I know BYU is different than state schools and cost is lower, but when I went it was similarly priced to Utah. 

Utah is about nearing double now 20 years later. USU isn't much less. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg