Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeffkills

The Washington Redskins

Should the Redskins change their name?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Redskins change their name, or is that just a bit too progressive?

11 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I’m in favor of changing the name because it’s a racial slur.

Changing names like the Aztecs or Chippewas would be stupid.

Tell that to the Boise High School Braves who recently dropped the s because woke progressive parents descended on the school. Is Braves a racial slur? 

30 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Tell that to the Boise High School Braves who recently dropped the s because woke progressive parents descended on the school. Is Braves a racial slur? 

No but the history behind the redskins name is. Maybe  change it to pale faces.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

15 minutes ago, Warbow said:

No but the history behind the ref skin name is.

If any reference to Indians can create a mascot name change of Braves in Boise, it can happen anywhere including Aztecs, Seminoles, Chippewas, etc. How does Hawaii get away with Rainbow Warriors? Why should the caricature of a school mascot be named after indigenous natives? 

Whats interesting is Leighton Vander Esch’s high school in Riggins is called the Savages and Riggins is very close to the Nez Perce reservation. 

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

If any reference to Indians can create a mascot name change of Braves in Boise, it can happen anywhere including Aztecs, Seminoles, Chippewas, etc. How does Hawaii get away with Rainbow Warriors? Why should the caricature of a school mascot be named after indigenous natives? 

Whats interesting is Leighton Vander Esch’s high school in Riggins is called the Savages and Riggins is very close to the Nez Perce reservation. 

Seminoles won't happen. The school has a great relationship with the tribe. Same with the Utes. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Scream for a name change. Get the name change. Scream about name change before even knowing what it is.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/kevin-blackistone-rips-statement-washington-football-team-racist-approach-solving-racist

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

36 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Scream for a name change. Get the name change. Scream about name change before even knowing what it is.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/kevin-blackistone-rips-statement-washington-football-team-racist-approach-solving-racist

Apologizing for the mascot, I get and agree with. But as far as consulting goes, consult who? Which tribe? All of them? What, hold a binding referendum where every indigenous person votes? Who decides what gets on the ballot? Ok so don’t do that, then what? Just talk to a few leaders of activist groups? Well who gave them the mandate to speak for every indigenous person? 

Just call them the squirrels or some other generic shit and call it a day. 

26 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Apologizing for the mascot, I get and agree with. But as far as consulting goes, consult who? Which tribe? All of them? What, hold a binding referendum where every indigenous person votes? Who decides what gets on the ballot? Ok so don’t do that, then what? Just talk to a few leaders of activist groups? Well who gave them the mandate to speak for every indigenous person? 

Just call them the squirrels or some other generic shit and call it a day. 

Yep, agreed. I mean, the goal was achieved. Just take the win and STFU. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I've always thought the mascots were a bit of a compliment.  You know, teams adopting "Indians" because they're brave fighters and whatnot.  If a team wants to be adopt the "Fighting VP97's" as their mascot, I would be all-in on that shit.  

Despite having a good current relationship with the Ute tribe, I'm convinced Utah will eventually give up the Utes nickname. I've come to expect it and accept that it will happen.  Considering I'm a white guy and have no business deciding what's offensive to Native American culture, I'm not opposed 

We've already changed the nickname once back in the 70's from the Runnin Redskins. 

1966%20Utonian%20Page%20405%20close.png

713916.jpg

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

lmfao

EcfSjMFXkAAubb6?format=jpg&name=large

This guy is proud of this design? 

laugh.gif

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

12 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The Seminole name will not be changed because it has the support of the Seminole tribes in Florida and Oklahoma.

@Jeffkills Dude, your poll question is actually 2 questions that conflict with each other. 
Should the Redskins change their name? No
Is it too progressive to change the name? Yes

I would assume most people are responding to the first question, but does look like some people voted on the second question. It’s a badly worded poll question that could result in bad votes. 

kat.jpg