Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Your dream Presidential candidates

Had this discussion with several friends. We agreed the people we'd want us President either don't generally run or have zero chance to win. It's not controversial to say the last two elections we've had subpar candidates on both sides. The evil of two lessers really. If you could pick anybody to run on either side, who would it be? Here are three candidates I would not lose sleep over electing. I don't agree with all of them on all things, but I think they'd perform the duties of President with dignity and represent the USA well at home and abroad. 

D: Tulsi Gabbard

R: Mitt Romney

L: Justin Amash (my favorite, naturally) 

Wildcard: Mark Cuban or Dwayne "the rock" Johnson 

@BSUTOP25 @Jack Bauer @Akkula @CPslograd @#1Stunner

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner
17 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Had this discussion with several friends. We agreed the people we'd want us President either don't generally run or have zero chance to win. It's not controversial to say the last two elections we've had subpar candidates on both sides. The evil of two lessers really. If you could pick anybody to run on either side, who would it be? Here are three candidates I would not lose sleep over electing. I don't agree with all of them on all things, but I think they'd perform the duties of President with dignity and represent the USA well at home and abroad. 

We need a Ross Perot type candidate to step forward this election (which hasn't happened).

Someone with real business experience (i.e., not a Donald Trump type).   And someone who has morals.   Avoiding a career politician who has never done anything real in their life (Joe Biden).   Also, someone without dementia. 

Who that is, or could be, I simply don't know.   I like Howard Schutlz (the Coffee Baron) but he was attacked by Democrats who feared that his running would get Trump elected.  So, not sure who the other options are. 

16 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

We need a Ross Perot type candidate to step forward this election (which hasn't happened).

Someone with real business experience (i.e., not a Donald Trump type).   And someone who has morals.   Avoiding a career politician who has never done anything real in their life (Joe Biden).   Also, someone without dementia. 

Who that is, or could be, I simply don't know.   I like Howard Schutlz (the Coffee Baron) but he was attacked by Democrats who feared that his running would get Trump elected.  So, not sure who the other options are. 

The problem with CEO's is they are used to giving orders and having everyone jump.   Politic's doesn't work that way.   You have to persuade people to your point of view.   I wonder if another CEO wouldn't default to issuing strings of executive orders like Trump because they don't know how to govern.  Reagan by contrast led the screen actors guild and new how to bring people together and get people to rally to his cause.

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

Hard pass on Tulsi. I agree with the other two. 

I'd totally vote for Dwayne Johnson though.

Who would be your choice on the dem side? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Government is not a for profit business and isn't run like one. Being a successful CEO type has limited worthiness when talking about a president.

6 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

The problem with CEO's is they are used to giving orders and having everyone jump.   Politic's doesn't work that way.   You have to persuade people to your point of view.   I wonder if another CEO wouldn't default to issuing strings of executive orders like Trump because they don't know how to govern.  Reagan by contrast led the screen actors guild and new how to bring people together and get people to rally to his cause.

Bad CEOs are used to giving orders and having everyone jump. Really exceptional ones build cultures that promote positive behavior change where people want to follow the CEOs vision. If you could find a really good CEO, they could be ideally suited to lead. 

2 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Bad CEOs are used to giving orders and having everyone jump. Really exceptional ones build cultures that promote positive behavior change where people want to follow the CEOs vision. If you could find a really good CEO, they could be ideally suited to lead. 

Right but if they are really good they are rolling in money and don't need the aggravation.  It is only the Carly Fiorina's running for office.

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

Right but if they are really good they are rolling in money and don't need the aggravation.  It is only the Carly Fiorina's running for office.

Exactly. That's the big problem with people that would make great public servants, outside of altruism and warm fuzzies, there's no reason a really great potential candidate would want that terrible job. 

Steve Bullock would be a nice Democrat candidate.  

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Someone who speaks like Reagan, is pragmatic like HW, compromises like Clinton, empathizes like W, and has the fawning support of the press like Obama.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

The first company I worked for had a CEO like that. Great person, ethical, charismatic, with great vision. When I started the company was Califonia based with 250 employees. When I left twenty years later it was international with 5,000 employees and a leader in the field of environmental engineering

Government is a different animal than private industry and should be run different. One of Trumps issues is he tries to run government like a business and one of the reasons there has been so much turnover. Anyway, back to a pick for president, I wish Amash had stayed in the race. 

It doesn’t matter if either Trump or Biden is president. We are still going to be a country with poor leadership. About all we can hope for is someone will come forward in 2024.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Government is not a for profit business and isn't run like one. Being a successful CEO type has limited worthiness when talking about a president.

Yep - Don't get these "We need a businessman" type of president - Govt doesn't run like a business & has different purposes than businesses - It's a whole different ballgame 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Yep - Don't get these "We need a businessman" type of president - Govt doesn't run like a business & has different purposes than businesses - It's a whole different ballgame 

I don't think career politicians work out all that well either. Someone who has ideally worked in private industry recently with some political experience maybe? 

14 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I don't think career politicians work out all that well either. Someone who has ideally worked in private industry recently with some political experience maybe? 

I disagree. Our "little experiment in democracy" has endured and thrived for 235+ years, mostly with "career politicians".

Is it perfect, no, but it's worked pretty damn well. 

31 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

what are you talking about

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

what are you talking about

I didn't think my opinion was hard to understand. 

4 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Don’t let Tulsi Gabbard fool you. She’s a political hack. Her whole campaign is ran on being a current Army officer in the guard or reserves. That’s it.

She wanted Hawaii’s Health Director and administers fired in the beginning of this pandemic when they were actually doing a great job of testing and contact tracking. Hawaii’s numbers are one of the best in the country. Stupid $&@; couldn’t name a suggestion for a immediate replacement. The position would have been vacant for months during a frickeen pandemic. She is slowly becoming a career politician as that was just a ploy as a move on the Governors seat which is due open soon. Politics over health and safety, yeah that’s what I want. She showed her ass with that move.

I would vote for Mitt Romney or Michelle Obama. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.