Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

When is it announced the 2020 season is cancelled? Votr!

2020 season  

75 members have voted

1. 1. When is it announced the 2020 season will not be played?

• End of July
    • First week in August
    • Second week in August.
    • Third week in August.
    • Cancelled at some point during the season.
    • Some sort of a "full" season is played. conference only, etc.

I texted with my relative tonight who is a P5 ad. There is less than a 1% probability of a fall college football season per him.  They need the football money badly so for now the discussion amongst his conference ad’s is how to structure a spring football season. There are lots of impediments to a spring season - contractual and otherwise - But the lost revenue is untenable for his school and conference mates so he thinks it’s a good probability a spring season happens. 

50 minutes ago, Fowl said:

I texted with my relative tonight who is a P5 ad. There is less than a 1% probability of a fall college football season per him.  They need the football money badly so for now the discussion amongst his conference ad’s is how to structure a spring football season. There are lots of impediments to a spring season - contractual and otherwise - But the lost revenue is untenable for his school and conference mates so he thinks it’s a good probability a spring season happens. 

This is what I'm hearing . Spring football at best...that's the beginning point. Fall football won't be ' officially ' taken off the table yet. Because too many are still hopeful.  The reality being talks have going towards a spring schedule.  If people just do a quick search ..Lincoln Riley Oklahoma's coach has talked about it recently. 

There isn’t going to be fall football or November basketball. Hopefully they can figure out a way to play both in spring.

Pro sports are one thing. But I don’t know how you ask kids to play for free in this environment. 

Guest #1Stunner
10 hours ago, Fowl said:

Would love to get John David and Tom Holmoe in a room and hear their thoughts on this, and hear the budget concerns of SDSU and BYU.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Without football some programs will shut down or at best, teams do what Boise State and Stanford do and they trim as much fat off as possible. I'm just not sure how spring works either. Kickoff in February and finish the season in May or June? One more delay and spring ball is cancelled as well and teams are gonna fold. But playing conference only schedules are gonna hurt some teams as well.

I honestly don't see how San Jose State will survive this.  Terrible timing for their stadium renovation.

They might have to join the WAC.

Not a good article if you are hoping for a season with fans.  Or a season at all.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2020/07/14/college-football-2020-sec-trouble-covid-19-outbreak/5432797002/

Years down the road, when the history of how we got here is written, it will be filled with curiosities like Herbstreit being labeled an alarmist and athletics directors talking about full stadiums being fêted for their optimism when all evidence showed that the opposite was true. 

Now the situation is too urgent to explain in any other way than the one that’s right in front of us: College football, even in the mighty SEC, is in real trouble. 

I like what the NBA is doing locking everyone in a bubble. If college football could somehow do that by sequestering all of its players and staff, I think you could have a season.  But the logistics and cost of that would be a nightmare.  And how are you going to get college kids to do that?

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I like what the NBA is doing locking everyone in a bubble. If college football could somehow do that by sequestering all of its players and staff, I think you could have a season.  But the logistics and cost of that would be a nightmare.  And how are you going to get college kids to do that?

Yeah, I don't think it is feasible for college football.

Plus, so many of these schools (especially the P5) have massive football budgets and might go bankrupt if they don't play a normal season this year.

I'm not sure how Wazzu or Oregon State will survive unless their States throw tax dollars at their Athletics Programs (a touch subject when people are desperate to pay their house payments, and basic expenses).  

I have no idea what's going at Air Force, but the new Superintendent Lt. Gen  Dick Clark is a former Falcon Football player (Class of 86).  I'm sure he'll do everything possible to salvage a season of some sort. Maybe Just Army and Navy.  USAFA did bring in the class of 2024 on schedule and is going through basic training right now. 

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Yeah, I don't think it is feasible for college football.

Plus, so many of these schools (especially the P5) have massive football budgets and might go bankrupt if they don't play a normal season this year.

I'm not sure how Wazzu or Oregon State will survive unless their States throw tax dollars at their Athletics Programs (a touch subject when people are desperate to pay their house payments, and basic expenses).  

Doesn't Wazzu and Cal have a bunch of debt from facilities construction?

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Fowl said:

Doesn't Wazzu and Cal have a bunch of debt from facilities construction?

Yes, both have massive debt.

It looks bad for Cal, and much worse for Wazzu.

https://dailyevergreen.com/57739/news/athletics-department-faces-100-million-deficit/

Athletics department faces $100 million debt

Plan to break even by 2023 will not include cuts to coaching, administrative salaries

11 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

the sun has set on the golden age of college athletics

I think it's more of a pause.  Whenever a vaccine comes out,  the economy is going to take off and college athletics will return to what it is today.  Until then,  figure at least another year,  yeah it's going to be a whole different world.  Fall football seems like such a stretch.

1 minute ago, packNV said:

I'm hearing from inside the Nevada athletic department that Nevada won't be playing in the fall.  Decision has been made just not announced.  

Undefeated National Champs!

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

9 hours ago, alum93 said:

I think it's more of a pause.  Whenever a vaccine comes out,  the economy is going to take off and college athletics will return to what it is today.  Until then,  figure at least another year,  yeah it's going to be a whole different world.  Fall football seems like such a stretch.

I read somewhere today that clinical trials (actually, many)  are being started on 'vaccines' that have shown to be successful in severely reducing the effects of covid, if not preventing them altogether. I didn't have time to read the entire article, and I can't find it now, but they said it would only take a few weeks, and they've gotten good results so far. Could be just talk, but if I find it I'll post it.

Oh, and btw, I have actually heard people say that they will not inject themselves with the 'tracker vaccine'.. :blink:

edit: this was the one..developed by Fauci's group.

https://apnews.com/e4d5259bfc6c74fcb090d885737c55a6?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

7 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

If there are no sports don’t you only have scholarships to pay. And possibly coaches salaries at reduced rates. I can’t imagine that being more than $10-15M. The school can borrow that for a year. 

Plus facilities maintenance, training staff, departmental staff, debt service.  For a P5 or someone who just dropped major bond issuances on renovation, it could get pretty bad, especially for the P5 who may lose out on media money as well as donors and ticket sales, while having massive salaries, much more sports than a G5, and larger facilities to manage.  This may actually be worse for lower-tier P5 programs than a standard G5 which is subsidized by student fees that can't be removed without a vote, lower salaries, and smaller departments.  We may see the end of million dollar body bag games for the forseeable future, especially if body bags try suing to get their money for nothing.