Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

What is a fair price for BYU to pay if the MW helps them out?

45 minutes ago, jiminfresno said:

I think it would be good to get BYU back into the Mountain West. It would be very simple to accomplish that. All Mountain West  Schools need to ban against playing BUY as long as they are independent. If the Mountain West Schools did that, BYU would be forced to come back so that they could have a full schedule of games. Who is BYU going to play if they cannot play Mountain West Schools. Its a simple fix. 

No chance of that ever happening. 1st of all BYU plays only 3 MWC teams a year. 2 of them are rivals. It is supply and demand. MWC (supply) teams wanting to play BYU is much more than BYU’s demand. BYU wants to travel the country and they are playing 3 to 4 PAC12 schools each year. There just isn’t room for a bunch of MWC teams on the schedule anymore. 

Yes when independence started we need the MWC. We are eternally grateful that the MWC gave us the much needed games. 

this year is the exception of course

The Masters 5k road race All American.

8 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Serious question. Why does the MWC need or even want three free home games @BYU? Chances are they can get a 1&1 against an AAC school where the cash will be even and probably play a better team. Or.... a top Sunbelt or C-USA school where the MWC would make cash more than likely or better yet, take a home & home against a bottom tier P5 like Oregon State or Vandy? Hell some of us can get a home & home with top P5 schools.

And to be honest (And we see it every year), most schools in the MWC would rather go make a paycheck at Penn State or Washington instead of going to BYU. A win against BYU is still big for Utah State and Boise State, but a P5 win means more for Broncos fans. And to be fair, every year that passes it seems like a win against BYU just seems to hold less and less weight. 

Once again, BYU isn't near as important as people in this forum or BYU thinks they are. The MWC is doing fine without them.

Ask SDSU, UNLV and BSU fans. For a better answer ask the AD’s. you’ll get a bunch of 3 year old nonsense if you ask a fan in here. 

1 hour ago, robe said:

No chance of that ever happening. 1st of all BYU plays only 3 MWC teams a year. 2 of them are rivals. It is supply and demand. MWC (supply) teams wanting to play BYU is much more than BYU’s demand. BYU wants to travel the country and they are playing 3 to 4 PAC12 schools each year. There just isn’t room for a bunch of MWC teams on the schedule anymore. 

Yes when independence started we need the MWC. We are eternally grateful that the MWC gave us the much needed games. 

this year is the exception of course

At this point I think the only chance of BYU coming back to the MW would be if 

1.) CFP expands to 8 teams and that highest rated little 5 champ is given an auto bid. At that point BYU would have to strongly consider joining the MW or the AAC. Because even if BYU had an AMAZING year as an indy (say finish the year #6 in the CFP poll) they still probably won't have any chance at an at large bid to the CFP. 5 big 5 champs, 1 little 5 champ, the required 2nd SEC team, then one at large bid for the rest of the major conferences. 

2.) The big-5 break off and form a new division. They refused to play any of the current fbs teams. At that point probably makes more sense for BYU to join the MW or AAC as opposed to staying indy. 

But barring either of those I have a hard time seeing BYU joining a conference. 

2 hours ago, Rev McQuervo said:

Why ever play them?

Because schools (just like people) put their own self interest over the "greater good". Yes the MW as a whole might be better off if from day one the outlawed ANY games vs BYU (ie might force BYU to come back to the MW) but individual schools won't. I mean as a Fresno fan a 1:1 with BYU is just about the best 1:1 we are capable of getting. We got a 1:1 with Minnesota but that is really the only 1:1 series over the last 10 years or so that was better than a hypothetical 1:1 with BYU.

14 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Seems ambitious... I mean, they only pay their God 10%. 

I say we demand free ice cream vouchers for all visiting fans and make them promise to not accept any bowl invite that would impact MW tie-ins. 

BYU already provides free ice cream to the visitor's section after BYU's first score of the game.  Only reason they would need a voucher is if BYU doesn't score.

3 hours ago, thedude15 said:

At this point I think the only chance of BYU coming back to the MW would be if 

1.) CFP expands to 8 teams and that highest rated little 5 champ is given an auto bid. At that point BYU would have to strongly consider joining the MW or the AAC. Because even if BYU had an AMAZING year as an indy (say finish the year #6 in the CFP poll) they still probably won't have any chance at an at large bid to the CFP. 5 big 5 champs, 1 little 5 champ, the required 2nd SEC team, then one at large bid for the rest of the major conferences. 

2.) The big-5 break off and form a new division. They refused to play any of the current fbs teams. At that point probably makes more sense for BYU to join the MW or AAC as opposed to staying indy. 

But barring either of those I have a hard time seeing BYU joining a conference. 

Probably. Bringing them and Gonzaga in for Olympic sports with a 5 or 6 game scheduling agreement would help both sides. But BYU isn’t going pursue this. WCC last year was the best basketball conference in the west. Pope has BYU ascending and Gonzaga is pretty much a top 5 team now. Gonzaga is content with WCC now and BYU isn’t leaving without Gonzaga. 

I really don’t care either way now. If I was the MWC I would go after BYU/Gonzaga basketball and get 5 to 6 football games from BYU. In a non COVID environment the most years will only be 3 BYU games. 

1 hour ago, Spazdog said:

Tell BYU to go play NMSU 5 or 6 times this year.  If the MWC only allows conference games, let BYU reap what they sow.  Too good to be in a actual conference?  Well, no life rafts from the MWC. 

Ha ha. Very naïve. Fortunately few in power share these thoughts. 

3 hours ago, robe said:

Ha ha. Very naïve. Fortunately few in power share these thoughts. 

Why should any team in the MWC lend a hand to BYU?  BYU acts like a member of the conference but we all know they are not.  Yet somehow they benefit from the conference thru their former association with it.  No. That's not right for any of the conference members.  If BYU wants a life raft for this season from the MWC, join the conference as a full time member.  Otherwise, the conference owes them nothing and should offer the same.

3 hours ago, Spazdog said:

Why should any team in the MWC lend a hand to BYU?  BYU acts like a member of the conference but we all know they are not.  Yet somehow they benefit from the conference thru their former association with it.  No. That's not right for any of the conference members.  If BYU wants a life raft for this season from the MWC, join the conference as a full time member.  Otherwise, the conference owes them nothing and should offer the same.

I don’t know asked the AD’s why they do it. I assume it benefits them. I don’t think you will have any luck convincing anyone to follow your advice.

I’m grateful for all the MWC teams who helped us. 

Since 2001 ( first game played against BYU since 1940) Nevada is 3 wins vs 2 losses against the nut punchers and cheap shot out of bounds hitters ( see Chance Krestchmer ) ...no need to play them again. We all know their brand of football. No need to even have them in a discussion on this board.

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, Spazdog said:

BYU is more likely to have a season than Fresno/San Jose, at this point.

Guest #1Stunner
7 hours ago, robe said:

Probably. Bringing them and Gonzaga in for Olympic sports with a 5 or 6 game scheduling agreement would help both sides. But BYU isn’t going pursue this. WCC last year was the best basketball conference in the west. Pope has BYU ascending and Gonzaga is pretty much a top 5 team now. Gonzaga is content with WCC now and BYU isn’t leaving without Gonzaga. 

I really don’t care either way now. If I was the MWC I would go after BYU/Gonzaga basketball and get 5 to 6 football games from BYU. In a non COVID environment the most years will only be 3 BYU games. 

Gonzaga and BYU are joined at the hip.

You are spot on...again!!

10 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Since 2001 ( first game played against BYU since 1940) Nevada is 3 wins vs 2 losses against the nut punchers and cheap shot out of bounds hitters ( see Chance Krestchmer ) ...no need to play them again. We all know their brand of football. No need to even have them in a discussion on this board.

I remember that out of bounds attack. Also remember when their President had to take out a full page add in the SD Tribune apologizing for Racial Comments continually made (and caught on National TV Audio) from their DB's to our receivers.

Too much bad history that traditionally every team that plays them experience. No value in ever playing them in any sport.

3 hours ago, Rev McQuervo said:

I remember that out of bounds attack. Also remember when their President had to take out a full page add in the SD Tribune apologizing for Racial Comments continually made (and caught on National TV Audio) from their DB's to our receivers.

Too much bad history that traditionally every team that plays them experience. No value in ever playing them in any sport.

No value, yet Dutcher schedules a home and home :ph34r:

https://byucougars.com/story/m-basketball/1293343/BYU-and-San-Diego-State-ink-home-and-home-series