Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

What is a fair price for BYU to pay if the MW helps them out?

Would monetary compensation be appropriate? Or maybe 3 free home games (ie for the 2022/23/24 season BYU has to play one MW team on the road with no monetary compensation). 

It pretty much seems like BYU is going to be left begging to try to join the AAC or MW for one year or having to try to create a random schedule of little 5 schools. I am pretty sure the Big-5 conferences will end up playing conference only with the exception of the ACC and Notre Dame. I kinda doubt BYU will just cancel their season as it would be to devastating if everyone else plays this year by BYU doesn't. Would mean no tv money for the year and very likely would hurt recruiting. 

Guest #1Stunner
10 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Would monetary compensation be appropriate? Or maybe 3 free home games (ie for the 2022/23/24 season BYU has to play one MW team on the road with no monetary compensation). 

It pretty much seems like BYU is going to be left begging to try to join the AAC or MW for one year or having to try to create a random schedule of little 5 schools. I am pretty sure the Big-5 conferences will end up playing conference only with the exception of the ACC and Notre Dame. I kinda doubt BYU will just cancel their season as it would be to devastating if everyone else plays this year by BYU doesn't. Would mean no tv money for the year and very likely would hurt recruiting. 

BYU should agree to play Wyoming, New Mexico and Air Force in separate, neutral games in Fort Collins.

42 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

YBU is a school that can survive this problem better than most schools they have no facilities debt, a loyal fan base, and strong financial support regardless of the economy.

10 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

YBU is a school that can survive this problem better than most schools they have no facilities debt, a loyal fan base, and strong financial support regardless of the economy.

Yes they will survive. I mean we are not talking about NMSU (this might be the end of them at least in fbs). But it would still hurt them to not have a season IF the rest of college football has a season. Thus it is reasonable if a conference extends a helping hand there should be some price to pay. 

4 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Yes they will survive. I mean we are not talking about NMSU (this might be the end of them at least in fbs). But it would still hurt them to not have a season IF the rest of college football has a season. Thus it is reasonable if a conference extends a helping hand there should be some price to pay. 

The fact that the discussion is about survival is telling enough.  Thriving is in the past for the cougars.

Make them a full member for one year, with all benefits.  A full equal share of the TV money, tourney credits if there are any, etc.

In exchange they pay an entry fee equal to the cost of start up (and two years overhead) of our own TV network.  They also have to donate their HD truck to the MWC.

Last thing... they have to blacklist my address.  No more door knockers.

1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

ESPN will hook them up with another ESPN conference, probably AAC..

There a many here that won't ever forget the BYU pompous money ego grab. I'm over it, if they help attendance and then revert back to their old ways trying to become a P5 school big F--- deal. Bottom I love to hate them, bring them back they bring fans and $$$.

Guest #1Stunner

BYU is the ORIGINAL VILLAIN of the Intermountain West.   

BYU fans live in EVERY MWC market...we are legion!!!

BYU is the most popular, most discussed, most followed, most watched, and most cheered school in the West. 

An upstart virus from China will not stop BYU....we are the ORIGINAL virus of the MWC!!!

BYU will crush Boise, and send them home crying to their Mamas...

@robe @BroncoOrange @hickaggie

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

5-7 mil plus travel subs.

Seems ambitious... I mean, they only pay their God 10%. 

I say we demand free ice cream vouchers for all visiting fans and make them promise to not accept any bowl invite that would impact MW tie-ins. 

6 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Read the other post. ESPN will help BYU. BYU joining for one year is mutually beneficial to both parties. I think ESPN would be fine. I know fox will love it. I don’t it will happen but I’m actually getting excited about coming back for one year. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

8 minutes ago, robe said:

Read the other post. ESPN will help BYU. BYU joining for one year is mutually beneficial to both parties. I think ESPN would be fine. I know fox will love it. I don’t it will happen but I’m actually getting excited about coming back for one year. 

How much do you think ESPN will help BYU? Enough to keep some of the Big-5 games? Is so then obviously BYU doesn't need the MW's help. But if you are talking about just helping BYU get games vs little 5 schools that doesn't mean much.  

43 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Serious question. Why does the MWC need or even want three free home games @BYU? Chances are they can get a 1&1 against an AAC school where the cash will be even and probably play a better team. Or.... a top Sunbelt or C-USA school where the MWC would make cash more than likely or better yet, take a home & home against a bottom tier P5 like Oregon State or Vandy? Hell some of us can get a home & home with top P5 schools.

And to be honest (And we see it every year), most schools in the MWC would rather go make a paycheck at Penn State or Washington instead of going to BYU. A win against BYU is still big for Utah State and Boise State, but a P5 win means more for Broncos fans. And to be fair, every year that passes it seems like a win against BYU just seems to hold less and less weight. 

Once again, BYU isn't near as important as people in this forum or BYU thinks they are. The MWC is doing fine without them.

The games I proposed would be one and dones @ the MW school (not BYU) with ZERO payout. I don't know any MW school that gets a better 1 for 0 that doesn't cost anything. 

Most of the MW schools can only get 1:0 series with fcs schools and they have to pay those schools a decent chunk of change to get it.

I think it would be good to get BYU back into the Mountain West. It would be very simple to accomplish that. All Mountain West  Schools need to ban against playing BUY as long as they are independent. If the Mountain West Schools did that, BYU would be forced to come back so that they could have a full schedule of games. Who is BYU going to play if they cannot play Mountain West Schools. Its a simple fix. 

"Fair Price" my question is two fold:

Why ever play them?

When have they EVER been "Fair" in anything?

Independence=perfect for Planet Kolob.

9 hours ago, thedude15 said:

How much do you think ESPN will help BYU? Enough to keep some of the Big-5 games? Is so then obviously BYU doesn't need the MW's help. But if you are talking about just helping BYU get games vs little 5 schools that doesn't mean much.  

At this point it’s a crap shoot. A wild guess if the MWC doesn’t help. Probably MAC, conf USA and the other independents. Unfortunately I think this was going to be a good BYU football team. 

ticket sales is a big revenue for BYU. That is gone no matter who we play. Capping crowd at 6k means pretty much every home game is losing money. 

BYU probably one of only a handful of schools that would survive without much pain. 

MWC is going to feel the heat from Fox to help BYU. Fox just lost some good content. 

BYU vs MWC opponents does well in TV ratings. Usually as well as the BSU/BYU games.

The odds are the 2020 isn’t going to happen at least not until spring. Though there will be tremendous economic pressure (TV) to play on. Few fans will be at any game.

BYU is asking for donations In lieu of tickets. I’ll probably buy season tickets this year now or equivalent donation. If I re up next year I’ll send my tickets to stunner. 

20 minutes ago, Rev McQuervo said:

"Fair Price" my question is two fold:

Why ever play them?

When have they EVER been "Fair" in anything?

Independence=perfect for Planet Kolob.

You have no ability to understand what is going on. It would be like having a conversation with a 3 year old or a women with BPD. 

that is all.