Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Warbow

Should the G-5 sue the P-5?

Recommended Posts

Yes, unless they can prove conference games are safer to play than non conference games? 
 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Nope. They'll just stop playing teams if you do that.

You should probably stick to your expertise of putting band aids on scraped elbows at your doc office. 

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. What is that saying Americans use about rocking boats? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’re not making the argument that conference games are safer, they’re trying to buy time to see if they can start the season after the curve has flattened (again) or come down. G5 schools would be better served to negotiate something that works for both parties and avoid biting the hand that feeds. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait and see if there's even a season first. This is just a dieing grasp to save the season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can make that argument... If you're conference has schools that are not in 'covid-hot states/cities' then yes, it's safer to play among yourselves, than risk taking your team to states/cities, where infections are out of control. Games in Arizona, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, etc. etc. That's an easy argument to make. 

G5 schools should at least consider re-negotiating their contracts with P5 schools. A G5 school that sues a P5 school, will find it harder to schedule P5 schools in the future. I can see a Blacklist being kept by the P5 conferences, of which G5's sued, and agreeing to never schedule those schools again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Warbow said:

Yes, unless they can prove conference games are safer to play than non conference games? 
 

 

Yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

They can make that argument... If you're conference has schools that are not in 'covid-hot states/cities' then yes, it's safer to play among yourselves, than risk taking your team to states/cities, where infections are out of control. Games in Arizona, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, etc. etc. That's an easy argument to make. 

G5 schools should at least consider re-negotiating their contracts with P5 schools. A G5 school that sues a P5 school, will find it harder to schedule P5 schools in the future. I can see a Blacklist being kept by the P5 conferences, of which G5's sued, and agreeing to never schedule those schools again.

Well for some of the teams they have no choice. This whole conference games are safer is a bunch of BS. I hope multi teams sue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly SDSU is in the PAC for men's soccer and they have to abide by the no-OOC games edict by the PAC for soccer and can only play PAC schools.  However, our home football game against UCLA is cancelled.  Makes 0 sense but I think this is just a pretext to cancel/move the fall sports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no legal basis for it.  None whatsoever.  During These Times, sports across the board are scrambling to make do in so many forms.  Professional and amateur. 

To Mr. Warbow...we're both now open on September 12.  If my squad is up for it to fill in the Washington State hole...let's work on that instead as well as we can. 

UH v UH September 12 in Hawai'i.  Easy non-stop travel from United hub IAH to ya'll.

 

image.jpeg.863ddc357a79a39264dc32ed1bbd50fb.jpeg    Outline Of Texas Png - Transparent University Of Houston Logo ...   image.jpeg.5fc522bbb4129c86afd128b1e9c8d849.jpeg 

 

Assuming we get a great slot on ESPN.  If it's relegated to CBSSports Network..total meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would assume in most cases they will just try to reschedule the game OR offer a buyout (maybe not the full buyout the contract states but some reduced amount). I mean maybe you could win a lawsuit but that would make it much tougher for your school to schedule OOC games vs Big-5 schools in the future. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.  Business is business.  The P5 knows that and knew it when they started making these decisions.  Don't be pussies.  If you get screwed over, then get whole.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The G5 will lose in court and on the field.

Conference only games allow for scheduling flexibility that may be needed. You will be able to have 5 to 6 bye weeks to be able to reschedule or to give extra time between games for any infected players to get cleared.

 

P5 conference will breakaway for good if the G5 sue as a whole.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's assume there is a football season and there's a corona downturn such that there's a postseason--what happens then?

Say Hawaii, who is undefeated in the MWC and had 3 games against the P12 cancelled gets denied a spot in the postseason by one of the teams it had scheduled.

Could get messy...and crazy scenarios happen.  How do we prove which conferences were the best?

That said, a conference-only season will show why the P5 needs the G5 because a lot of P5 schools who normally go like 8-4 are now going to go 5-7 or worse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WAC_FAN said:

Let's assume there is a football season and there's a corona downturn such that there's a postseason--what happens then?

Say Hawaii, who is undefeated in the MWC and had 3 games against the P12 cancelled gets denied a spot in the postseason by one of the teams it had scheduled.

Could get messy...and crazy scenarios happen.  How do we prove which conferences were the best?

That said, a conference-only season will show why the P5 needs the G5 because a lot of P5 schools who normally go like 8-4 are now going to go 5-7 or worse.

 

Except they wont be playing 12 games.  Both B10 and P12 are playing 10.  ACC is probably next.  Only the SEC might try to play more than 10.

 

And you'll hear a lot more angst about which P5 champ gets left out of the CFP than you will about any G5 team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 10:59 AM, robe said:

Well for some of the teams they have no choice. This whole conference games are safer is a bunch of BS. I hope multi teams sue.

You must be an ambulance chaser at heart. ..no one should sue anyone due to a health event. That's just plain stupid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

You must be an ambulance chaser at heart. ..no one should sue anyone due to a health event. That's just plain stupid.

Tell that to NM St. This thread was started by an AD comment not mine. But yes I agree with him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 10:59 AM, robe said:

Well for some of the teams they have no choice. This whole conference games are safer is a bunch of BS. I hope multi teams sue.

Nebraska had a game that was scheduled with South Dakota State. When they inquired about how they were doing with covid, they were informed that South Dakota State wasn’t testing their athletes due to the expense. The Big 10 can control conference teams. They can implement the same testing programs to apply to all schools. They can’t do that for teams outside the conference. So yes, conference games are safer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, masterfrog said:

Nebraska had a game that was scheduled with South Dakota State. When they inquired about how they were doing with covid, they were informed that South Dakota State wasn’t testing their athletes due to the expense. The Big 10 can control conference teams. They can implement the same testing programs to apply to all schools. They can’t do that for teams outside the conference. So yes, conference games are safer. 

True ^^^!

I hear Ohio State is actually mandating that all free tattoos for their recruits only be created with disinfected needles and ink and mandating their Big 10 brethren to do the same! :ph34r: 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×