Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Where does climate change rate on your priority list of issues?

On 7/10/2020 at 10:28 PM, Naggsty Butler said:

I don't know where I'd rank climate change on my list, it isn't the most important thing, but I will say that when I do get around to building a house it will have solar and geothermal. If they would stop making decent EVs into luxury cars, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

There are options. Nissan leaf leaf, mini has a new one and vw will have a golf type car soon I think.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

you know you gotta pay for the gas right? And that wind is not continuous?

Darling I was hoping to settle in and watch some television but the wind isn't blowing tonight...

58 minutes ago, happycamper said:

you know you gotta pay for the gas right? And that wind is not continuous?

Still cheaper though.

image.png.8e2c77c448f9e26f51e1e3f539a80fa5.png

Right now Nuclear is about 20% of US electricity generation.  We would need nuclear energy production to quadruple in order to cover coal and natural gas (and that's just for current energy production not including a massive shift to electric vehicles).

US currently has about 98 GW installed net capacity.  At roughly $4.5B per 1000 MW capacity (1 GW) - it will cost about $1.5 trillion in today's dollars to get to 80% Nuclear.  The government subsidizes nuclear at about $8B per year.  So we aren't going to get there without a nuclear new deal of some kind.

Global warming... my take. All I got to say about it is this... just admit that it’s humankind that is causing it. Then any argument made for regulation or against are on the table. There are reasonable changes we can make to combat global warming. There are others that are stretch goals at best. But the level of stupidity it takes to discount science to make this futile point impacts all aspects of society down the line.

It’s sorta like calling all news fake. Not all news is fake. And news isn’t untrue if you don’t believe it. But there is fake news.