Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Trump will sign EO giving DACA recipients a pathway to citizenship

40 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

We had a deal on the table in 2018. Trump reneged and changed the terms. This isn’t a brilliant move, this is unconstitutional political cowardice.

I don't know about the "political cowardice" but yes, there was a good deal on the table that Trump reneged on for purely political reasons.

Would love to see him do this but he won't.

However, if he does, doubtful he'll get any benefit politically and some of the exploding heads from the right would be glorious.

24 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I don't know about the "political cowardice" but yes, there was a good deal on the table that Trump reneged on for purely political reasons.

Would love to see him do this but he won't.

However, if he does, doubtful he'll get any benefit politically and some of the exploding heads from the right would be glorious.

Like everything else it was a negotiation. DACA for funding the wall. No wall, no DACA. 

5 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Like everything else it was a negotiation. DACA for funding the wall. No wall, no DACA. 

That was a masterful negotiation by your boy Trump.  No wall....so completely do a 180 and completely cave on DACA.  The master negotiator is trying a new tactic...completely wave the white flag and hope to confuse the opposing party.

Daca should be the third thing the democrats do after admitting Puerto Rico and DC as states on the first day when they eliminate the filibuster.

Posted Image

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

There was funding for the wall. It stalled out because Trump wanted less legal immigration than what was agreed to.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

He can’t cure your hoof and mouth disease. 

It's a thing of the past.  But then...

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

If Trump actually cared about DACA "kids", then he wouldn't have put that restriction on the deal. ;) That said, I'm pretty sure the Democrats were willing to do that as long as a DACA deal got done. They might have bloviated about it, but it seemed pretty clear that they'd accept the deal. 

I thought there already was a path to citizenship.  We get new citizens every day.  How in the hell did that happen without a procedure to become a citizen??

45 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I thought there already was a path to citizenship.  We get new citizens every day.  How in the hell did that happen without a procedure to become a citizen??

Not for DACA folks.

22 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Not for DACA folks.

Not true.  They have the same path as any other alien.

Look, I'm all for a complete overhaul of the immigration system that includes substantially more difficult access illegally, substantially easier access legally, substantially more severe punishments for smuggling (especially humans), a much, much more streamlined and expanded process for legal residency, and a uniform process for citizenship that applies to all potential applicants.

It'll never happen though until paid lobbyists are banned from contacting legislators.  Special interests are in the way, and will stay in the way.

3 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Look, I'm all for a complete overhaul of the immigration system that includes substantially more difficult access illegally, substantially easier access legally, substantially more severe punishments for smuggling (especially humans), a much, much more streamlined and expanded process for legal residency, and a uniform process for citizenship that applies to all potential applicants.

It'll never happen though until paid lobbyists are banned from contacting legislators.  Special interests are in the way, and will stay in the way.

If I'm not mistaken, if a DACA man/woman serves in the military they still aren't citizens when their duty is over.    

6 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Big difference, other aliens get to stay in their home country while they "wait in line". Since for many/most DACA folks the US is all they know, this is their own country. They would have to leave in order to apply. Are you saying that young adults, who were brought here illegally thru absolutely no fault of their own, should have to self deport in order to have a chance to come back?

That's bullshit, and isn't ever going to happen. So why don't we look for a realistic solution?

2 minutes ago, aztech said:

If I'm not mistaken, if a DACA man/woman serves in the military they still aren't citizens when their duty is over.    

Yeah.  The same path as every other alien.  You're example would be a part of the reform I'm talking about that I think about 99% of Americans would support. 

You can come up with example after example but it changes nothing.  Until congress addresses real and equitable immigration reform, nothing will change.  We'll just continue to debate things like DACA (which was an illegal EO) until we're blue in the face.  Congress will continue to kick it down the road because there is to much money falling into their pockets to do so.  Illegal immigration has too many benefits to too many people to change it and do it the right way.

I'm with you.  Serve in the military, become a citizen.  That's a no-brainer.

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Big difference, other aliens get to stay in their home country while they "wait in line". Since for many/most DACA folks the US is all they know, this is their own country. They would have to leave in order to apply. Are you saying that young adults, who were brought here illegally thru absolutely no fault of their own, should have to self deport in order to have a chance to come back?

That's bullshit, and isn't ever going to happen. So why don't we look for a realistic solution?

I already gave you a realistic solution.  It's called "immigration reform".  I'm all for taking DACA individuals on a case by case basis and finding a way to make many of them citizens.  If you're here illegally and running with MS13, then get the hell out.  If you're running the local tire shop, or own the pizza joint down the road then we need to make you a citizen, or at least create that opportunity.  Right now there is only one path however.  I'm not interested in special rules for special people.  I'm interested in complete reform as opposed to enacting selective legislation that can be abused down the road.  I'm really, really opposed to activist state governments making up different rules than other states depending on what benefits their politics.  It's a US border.  Let's put together some US laws that benefit the US.  The US needs immigration.  This stupid circle jerk we're playing with benefits nobody.

TBH, I do blame Obama.  If he hadn't put out an illegal executive order to create a band-aid, congress would have been forced to address this already instead of just kicking the can down the road and pointing fingers at everybody else.

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Would that be the same path the attending physician at my DIL hospital who has been waiting since 2011?

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Would that be the same path the attending physician at my DIL hospital who has been waiting since 2011?

Yeah, same path. 

Read the thread.  You're preaching to the choir.  We need to overhaul this thing.  I've been saying that since the O'bummer days.

37 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I already gave you a realistic solution.  It's called "immigration reform".  I'm all for taking DACA individuals on a case by case basis and finding a way to make many of them citizens.  If you're here illegally and running with MS13, then get the hell out.  If you're running the local tire shop, or own the pizza joint down the road then we need to make you a citizen, or at least create that opportunity.  Right now there is only one path however.  I'm not interested in special rules for special people.  I'm interested in complete reform as opposed to enacting selective legislation that can be abused down the road.  I'm really, really opposed to activist state governments making up different rules than other states depending on what benefits their politics.  It's a US border.  Let's put together some US laws that benefit the US.  The US needs immigration.  This stupid circle jerk we're playing with benefits nobody.

TBH, I do blame Obama.  If he hadn't put out an illegal executive order to create a band-aid, congress would have been forced to address this already instead of just kicking the can down the road and pointing fingers at everybody else.

To be honest if you hate Obama than you ought to be opposed to the bolded part above.   Obama did create part of the problem but not because of the DACA band-aid.   He waited 6 years for the Republicans to do something and hard liners like Sessions never would.   

What Obama did do was deport criminal aliens in massive numbers compared to Bush.  Unfortunately places like El Salvador weren’t ready to deal with the MS-13 gang members (MS-13 originated in the US).  The large flux of Salvadorean refugees fleeing gang violence was a direct result of Obama’s actions.  

Guest #1Stunner

Not sure how anyone can be upset at this.   It's the right thing to do.

Kudos to Trump at signing an Executive Order and making it happen.

My guess is that Republicans will get mad at him for this.  Democrats have to be thrilled.

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

Yeah.  The same path as every other alien.  You're example would be a part of the reform I'm talking about that I think about 99% of Americans would support. 

You can come up with example after example but it changes nothing.  Until congress addresses real and equitable immigration reform, nothing will change.  We'll just continue to debate things like DACA (which was an illegal EO) until we're blue in the face.  Congress will continue to kick it down the road because there is to much money falling into their pockets to do so.  Illegal immigration has too many benefits to too many people to change it and do it the right way.

I'm with you.  Serve in the military, become a citizen.  That's a no-brainer.

Actually given the recent Supreme Court decisions which grant the President wide discretion in immigration policy, I don’t think the EO would be considered illegal.   

Now granting citizenship is another matter....