Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Time to go after universities

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Cool.

Are you working on a graduate degree in History currently?

Its multidisciplinary, but for the most part yes. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

44 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I graduated from BYU, and never had any professors that don't believe in evolution.

I think they did a Symposium honoring Darwin on his Birthday.

https://www.deseret.com/2009/2/9/20378097/byu-celebrates-darwin-with-week-of-lectures

But you are correct, I don't think BYU would hire Professors that wanted to bash the Church or challenge students' religious beliefs in class.  BYU is mostly an undergraduate teaching institution, which you already know.

Byu has produced some good scholarship on history of the american west.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Byu has produced some good scholarship on history of the american west.

I had some very good history professors when I was there (I'm not a history major, but took a few classes).  A lot of decent history professors because many have lived abroad and speak foreign languages...

One guy was a dick, though.  I filled up 3 blue books (essays) and was literally in a test for 4-1/2 hours.  This was an undergraduate class.  Yikes!!  The guy way overtested

There was also weeder course for history majors called Historian's Craft that supposedly was extremely hard.

https://catalog.byu.edu/family-home-and-social-sciences/history/historians-craft

8 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

It is not a crazed right wing talking point that university faculty are overwhelmingly left.  Just not sure why he thinks this is the way to tackle it.

Yes, it is.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

7 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

LOL, speak for yourself. I didn’t come across a single conservative prof. in my time at SDSU. One semester I needed a GE class really bad, and the only one open was “A Historical Analysis of the New Testament“ and it was taught by a liberal Jewish guy (he talked about himself and his personal life waaay to much). That is not a joke. 

Notably liberal Gonzaga was full of religion classes that were "historical analysis of x", from the testaments to the idea of marriage to the Vietnam war. Our old testament class professor taught us about all of the dirty puns that got missed in translation. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

What perspectives, exactly, are students not exposed to that they should be exposed to?

A lot.

JFC, at university diversity is defined as radical left to center left.

8 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

A lot.

such as...

8 hours ago, CPslograd said:

A lot.

JFC, at university diversity is defined as radical left to center left.

Yet somehow I have evolved into a conservative :hmmm:

19 hours ago, renoskier said:

Sorry to jump back in here, maybe it's already been discussed. I know your just using Darwin as an example but would you consider Darwin's theory "liberal" or "conservative"? It doesn't really seem like either to me. Are the other perspectives you mention in this case considered more "conservative"? Why?

Not teach about Noah's ark in biology class and not putting every half baked first year undergraduate opinion on the same level as Socrates is one of the greatest examples of how universities have a liberal bias.

Posted Image

I haven't read through all of these posts, but page 1 has gone about how I thought it would when I first saw it posted. Trump flapping his gums about going after universities is nonsense. People here arguing that college campuses aren't overwhelmingly left is also nonsense. 

3 hours ago, Slapdad said:

I haven't read through all of these posts, but page 1 has gone about how I thought it would when I first saw it posted. Trump flapping his gums about going after universities is nonsense. People here arguing that college campuses aren't overwhelmingly left is also nonsense. 

Show us one post where someone argued this.

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Show us one post where someone argued this.

Was gonna say this.