Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

ACC Conference Only

5 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

---

Florida State going to pony up $2m for the buyout of the Boise game?  Maybe we could use the funds to get baseball and swimming back?

depends - many contracts have force majeure clauses.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

33 minutes ago, RSF said:

depends - many contracts have force majeure clauses.

I've wondered about this and if a pandemic would meet the definition since the conf's are deciding on their own to stop OOC play. It's not the same as a storm or another "act of god" is it?

8 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I've wondered about this and if a pandemic would meet the definition since the conf's are deciding on their own to stop OOC play. It's not the same as a storm or another "act of god" is it?

Force majeure is a common clause in contracts that essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as a war, strike, riot, crime, epidemic or an event described by the legal term act of God, prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract. In practice, most force majeure clauses do not excuse a party's non-performance entirely, but only suspend it for the duration of the force majeure.[1]

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, RSF said:

Force majeure is a common clause in contracts that essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as a war, strike, riot, crime, epidemic or an event described by the legal term act of God, prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract. In practice, most force majeure clauses do not excuse a party's non-performance entirely, but only suspend it for the duration of the force majeure.[1]

Right, but in this specific case there is no order preventing these conf's from playing OOC other than their own decisions currently. That could change with special orders from Governor's etc, but currently this does feel optional to me.

I suspect continuing to play their conf schedule will provide plaintiffs with an opening...but then I am not a lawyer. 

7 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Right, but in this specific case there is no order preventing these conf's from playing OOC other than their own decisions currently. That could change with special orders from Governor's etc, but currently this does feel optional to me.

I suspect continuing to play their conf schedule will provide plaintiffs with an opening...but then I am not a lawyer. 

nobody's going to fight a force majeure call now.  They'll reschedule it and that'll be it.

2 minutes ago, RSF said:

nobody's going to fight a force majeure call now.  They'll reschedule it and that'll be it.

Why? Is this in anyway similar to Miami cancelling their Arkansas State game due to Hurricane fears?

Oy. One is comparing the pandemic to a one-off weather phenom easily seen and predicted.  Oy, I dig ya, dude..but we're in funky times right now.  We're all hoping for the best esp re sports in America.  MLB is still too screwed up (but who cares about them overpaid lard asses).  NBA, MLS, PGA, NASCAR, the Horsies, Tennis, and NHL are trying to regenerate. As is NFL.

Gotta have faith, brother in whatever form it presents itself in sports land (abstain re Euro futbol, Asian baseball and weird ping pong tournaments in Russia).

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

4 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I hate to be that guy, but if G5 starts filing lawsuits against P5, why would the P5 play a G5 after this?  I wouldn't.  The trend is already happening, this could push it past the point of no return.

Bowl eligibility and extra home games.  Same reason they do now.

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Bowl eligibility and extra home games.  Same reason they do now.

Maybe this pushes the CFP to expand to all conference champions....no padding schedules. Periphery bowl games reduced. 

18 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I hate to be that guy, but if G5 starts filing lawsuits against P5, why would the P5 play a G5 after this?  I wouldn't.  The trend is already happening, this could push it past the point of no return.

Yup. I don't think you go about it by suing your partners that you hope to continue doing business with in upcoming years.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg