Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Byu discussion needs to be had

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

That is unfortunately where I think we're headed, no season.

Yeah, conference only talk seems like just stalling for time.

Bring on football in the spring and push the 2021 season out a few months.

Like it or not, BYU is better poised financially to weather a season without football revenue than the rest of us. The institution that backs them is extremely liquid. I have a massive package.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

That is unfortunately where I think we're headed, no season.

I hate that you are right. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

BYU would make a good replacement to play @Wyoming in place of Utah and @UNLV in place of Cal/ASU. Add Hawaii, Fresno, Nevada or SJSU with the first game of a new series in Provo and BYU would have 6 MWC games - 3 home, 3 road.

Like it or not, BYU @ Boise State, BYU @ Wyoming, and BYU @ UNLV would be some of the best MWC TV broadcasts of the redacted season. 

For a 9 or 10-game schedule, BYU could fill the remaining holes with UConn, Army, UMass, Liberty, or NMSU.

That's a very reasonable and realistic scenario and much better than no football.

41 minutes ago, YNot said:

BYU would make a good replacement to play @Wyoming in place of Utah and @UNLV in place of Cal/ASU. Add Hawaii, Fresno, Nevada or SJSU with the first game of a new series in Provo and BYU would have 6 MWC games - 3 home, 3 road.

Like it or not, BYU @ Boise State, BYU @ Wyoming, and BYU @ UNLV would be some of the best MWC TV broadcasts of the redacted season. 

For a 9 or 10-game schedule, BYU could fill the remaining holes with UConn, Army, UMass, Liberty, or NMSU.

That's a very reasonable and realistic scenario and much better than no football.

Except the point of a conference only season is not to add games.  It is to lose 4 games and that gives you scheduling space to deal with problems and keep travel and exposure down.

21 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Sorry @robe. You need to lay off the caffeine. There literally is no reason for anyone to help BYU, Liberty, Army, New Mexico State, UMa..... Oh no, poor NMSU. Anyway, BYU is in a tough spot. Does Pepperdine play football? 

Quite frankly NM may push for us to help NM State.   Not sure if we can help both.  

4 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Honestly I am not a fan of playing conference only games in football and basketball. Football I can understand but basketball?

See where SEC is giving conflicting reports? Alabama AD is saying they are playing USC the first game of the season. About the same time, Greg Sankey, the SEC commissioner said they are meeting in Birmingham Monday to discuss a conference only model. It's hilarious. I am gonna go look at the New Mexico State forums and see if they are aware.

Well Pac just announced playing Conference only say the USC Alabama game isn’t happening.  

A couple more weeks and who knows what happens by football season assuming there is one.? This might turn into an even worse cluster. At this point I don't see fans in many stadiums either by university social distancing requirements in stadiums or by fan choice.:shrug::surrender:

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

But the Mountain West already said no to BYU (And NMSU). The MWC is doing a 10 or 11 game season plus a championship game. Everyone will have a Bye week on the same week. If they play anyone else it's gonna be a P5 money game and it's gonna be the first game of the season or the last game of the season on the same week. Again, BYU was told no thanks. The MWC needs to be able to control their environment and make changes quickly. BYU would make things difficult. My guess is conferences don't wanna mess this up if they decide to play. Every conference is gonna come up with a strict protocol and follow it 💯%.

BYU isn't on any conferences radar. There is no reason for them to be.

When have the MWC schools ever followed the edicts of Hair Thompson?

I remember Hair got giddy and implemented a scheduling ban of BYU, and UNLV, Boise, and USU ignored it and promptly scheduled BYU.

Let's see what happens.

Guest #1Stunner
31 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

The only thing that will change in the MWC not playing football at all. Like I said in another thread. BYU needs to call the AAC before Army does.

The schools are worried about their TV Contract money.  

BYU will be calling ESPN first and foremost.

I don't think the MWC is an ESPN property anymore, so BYU calling the AAC makes more sense.   I can't recall what Boise is doing (they sued the MWC for breach of contract, when the MWC all voted to cancel Boise's TV payout)

We'll see how this plays out, if at all.

Lol...when was the last time Bama played a road non conference game?

That would be 2011.  Penn State.  A little ole pandemic wont change that.  But there have been discussions for weeks already about a replacement for USC against Alabama in the Advocare Classic in Arlington.  And its a Big 12 team.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
13 minutes ago, RSF said:

Lol...when was the last time Bama played a road non conference game?

That would be 2011.  Penn State.  A little ole pandemic wont change that.  But there have been discussions for weeks already about a replacement for USC against Alabama in the Advocare Classic in Arlington.  And its a Big 12 team.

Relax, BYU wants no part of Alabama!

Guest #1Stunner
18 hours ago, Billings said:

BYU will be lucky with 2 games left on its schedule.

Hoping Wyoming and BYU can work something out.

23 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Quite frankly NM may push for us to help NM State.   Not sure if we can help both.  

Why would we want to help NMSU out? If there is any pressure it would come from the Commie in the Governor’s office and her comrades in the legislature. Other than that, Lobo fans could give two shits about the Aggies.