Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

What MWC school has the best other major sports programs?

I know the question is specific to MW schools, but it got me wondering.  BYU claims 11 national championships in its history, five of which have been in the last twenty years (https://byucougars.com/story/athletics/80005/national-champions):

2019 - Men's Cross Country

2004 - Men's Volleyball

2002 - Women's Cross Country

2001 - Women's Cross Country

2001 - Men's Volleyball

1999 - Women's Cross Country

1999 - Men's Volleyball

1997 -  Women's Cross Country

1984 - Football

1981 - Men's Golf

1970 - Men's Track & Field

Just looking at the Learfield Cup rankings for last fall, the women finished 2nd in cross country, 5th in soccer, and 17th in volleyball.  The men's volleyball team had a great shot at another national title this past season before coronavirus took over and the men's basketball team was looking like it could advance in March Madness.

The prior year, the women were 21st in women's gymnastics, 17th in women's basketball, 14th in track & field, 7th in cross country, and 3rd in volleyball while the men were 2nd in cross country.

Before that, the Learfield Cup links aren't working, so I'm not going to worry about it.

So, apart from the most important collegiate sport, BYU has been doing pretty well.

On 7/8/2020 at 6:21 PM, Warbow said:

We all know what the Boise st football team has done. No need for another I love Boise st thread.

now answer the question, how many NCAA tournament wins for men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, volleyball and softball in the last 20 years?

I'm too lazy to read through the rest of this long ass thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned, BSU won their first round series against Stanford in the NCAA softball tourney two years ago and beat Western Kentucky in the first round of the NCAA volleyball tourney 5 or 6 years ago.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:44 AM, NVGiant said:

I don't know what school is the best in the "other" sports. But I know it's not us. Not to say anything nice about baby brother, but UNLV men's golf might be the best Mountain West program in any NCAA-sponsored sport.

If we are using conference dominance and results on the national level...then UNM's women's x-country team is the best. That's also including the major sports. And its not even close.

26 minutes ago, coalman29 said:

If we are using conference dominance and results on the national level...then UNM's women's x-country team is the best. That's also including the major sports. And its not even close.

Could be. Don’t care enough to check, but I’m sure you’re right.