Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Ivy League Cancels All Fall Sports (not postponed...cancelled)

Per Dana O'Neil there's hopes for a Spring Season

Going to Spring would be a bit easier for The Ivy's than most league because they kinda do their own thing. They don't participate in The FCS Playoffs so churning out 7 league games would be very doable if it's safe to do so by spring (which is no sure thing).

I do expect this to be the first domino though to no fall sports

16 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I don't think so.  Ivy league isn't dependent on TV money like the rest of us.

Per Forbes:

How much each conference gets for football from the networks.

Some if not all of the ivy’s individually have more money than our schools put together. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

23 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

Poops. Bad news for Self re Vegas betting Ivy League croquet fall green grass.  Go Yale re croquet.

Yale was replacing too many seniors this year.  It was a rebuild year for them anyway.  Everything I’ve read on ESPN says this was projected to be Dartmouth’s best team ever. 

Poops.  Dartmouth does something potentially grand in the croquet land of Ivy League and there's no ESPN for it.  The Ivy League is shut down for the fall.  Time to see Harry Potter movies and whatnot instead to get our fix. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

And do it starts.,,

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I don't think so.  Ivy league isn't dependent on TV money like the rest of us.

Per Forbes:

How much each conference gets for football from the networks.

Am I reading this right? The Big East is making more than the MW the entire contract we just inked? lol

I think its premature to say this is a harbinger. I think most schools are planning to go forward until the very moment (if and when) they are told they can't. There's too much money, too much pride, and too much desire to compete.

Ivy League has its historic rivalries and not much else. They don't need the TV money because they're already rich and the athletes are there for their degrees as a priority.

21 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Am I reading this right? The Big East is making more than the MW the entire contract we just inked? lol

Yeah.  Says football media rights on the graphic, but should be combined fb/bb as Big East doesn't have a football conference. $500 million divided by 12 years is about $42 million per year.  So yeah.

https://www.si.com/johnwallstreet/sports-business/uconn-big-east-media-rights

4 hours ago, CV147 said:

I think its premature to say this is a harbinger. I think most schools are planning to go forward until the very moment (if and when) they are told they can't. There's too much money, too much pride, and too much desire to compete.

Ivy League has its historic rivalries and not much else. They don't need the TV money because they're already rich and the athletes are there for their degrees as a priority.

You are probably correct regarding the P5 and G5 conferences, I was thinking more about some FCS conferences

32 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I’m not sure about all of them, but FCS conferences like the Big West and Big Sky sign TV contracts where they have to PAY the networks to do their games. That sucks. 

Yeah, you can get all the streamed Big Sky games on their Pluto TV channel. Pluto is free as long as you have a smart TV or Roku or whatever and an internet connection. Similar to Facebook doing some MW games basically for free. I’d honestly rather have that availability than just shown on the local channels in their region.