Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecSU

Stanford Cutting 11 Sports

8 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

This is a very bad sign. 

This should not be a surprise to anyone.  I suspect a few schools may even drop FB.  That would be the clear sign of the ship ready to go down for those schools.  

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

Guest #1Stunner

Basketball and Football are the sacred cows.

Expect schools to start by cutting Baseball, Softball, Gymnastics, Soccer.... that sort of stuff. 

It's too bad.

39 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Basketball and Football are the sacred cows.

Expect schools to start by cutting Baseball, Softball, Gymnastics, Soccer.... that sort of stuff. 

It's too bad.

I expect football teams to be cut too.  The operating and staff expenses are so high for football and schools won't be keeping everyone on payroll for a sport that might not even be played in the fall at certain schools.

29 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

That’s crazy since Stanford has a $28 billion endowment, one of the largest of any college. It’s not like they can’t easily afford to fund the dropped sports for a year. 

You can't just take endowment funds (or the income on such funds) and use them for non-dedicated purposes.

I didn't see that in any presser yet, but wow.  The formal write-up will follow. Ouch. 

My squad announced athletic budget cuts yesterday...salary reductions and elimination of staff.  No programs cut; that's just not gonna happen at UH.  We're too lean as it is.  We do not do men's tennis or men's soccer or men's swimming & diving.  We stick to the basics for our ladies and gentlemen. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Stanford before the cuts has 36 teams in the athletic department.

The university says even if donations arrive they will not reverse the decision and restore these teams. The only option for the cut teams are to switch to club sport status.

The list of teams cut are:

• wrestling
  • men’s volleyball
  • field hockey
  • men’s and women’s fencing
  • lightweight rowing
  • men’s rowing
  • co-ed and women’s sailing
  • squash
  • synchronized swimming

https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Facing-25-million-deficit-Stanford-cuts-11-15394522.php

Stanford had a men’s vb club.

I guess there club team will be getting some better talent.  In fact, the club sports may be getting higher talent and more competitive as more schools cut varsity sports.

3 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Stanford had a men’s vb club.

I guess there club team will be getting some better talent.  In fact, the club sports may be getting higher talent and more competitive as more schools cut varsity sports.

Look for their Quidditch team to upgrade their talent: https://orgsync.com/45248/chapter.  Their current seeker can't even fly his broom.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

That’s crazy since Stanford has a $28 billion endowment, one of the largest of any college. It’s not like they can’t easily afford to fund the dropped sports for a year. 

Schools are legally bound to use the money in the ways stipulated by the donors. Generally, University endowments cannot be used for athletics. Many large universities also have Athletic endowments which are separate. Stanford does have a huge Athletic endowment but apparently doesn't think keeping these sports is a worthwhile investment.:shrug: