Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

POLL: Should SJSU Change Their Mascot?

Should SJSU change its mascot?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should SJSU change its mascot?

• Yes, slave owners and pedophiles should not be romanticized
    • No, changing a mascot like this would be a symbolic gesture that wouldn’t help anything

Given all the scrutiny over mascots lately, I was curious if “Spartans” should be retained or removed by SJSU. As is well documented, the Spartans were cruel slave owners, subjecting the Helots to harsh conditions and horrific ritualistic slaughters. Not to mention, the Spartans were known to be pedophiles. 

Votr! 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Say adios to any mascot or team nickname that seems even remotely harmful.

Aztecs, Trojans, Gauchos even Banana Slugs are on the hit list. I wouldnt be surprised if Cowboys comes under fire. All those horrible things they did to cows, horses, Indians, and hookers. Some were even gay.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Say adios to any mascot or team nickname that seems even remotely harmful.

Aztecs, Trojans, Gauchos even Banana slugs are on the hit list. I wouldnt be surprised if Cowboys comes under fire. All those horrible things they did to cows, horses, Indians, and hookers. Some were even gay.

Can we please keep this specific to SJSU? I’m genuinely curious about this because of the way Spartan society operated. 

Also, need your votr.

7 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Can we please keep this specific to SJSU? I’m genuinely curious about this because of the way Spartan society operated. 

Also, need your votr.

With all the tree hugging overly sensitive Libs in the Bay Area, the nickname is toast.

Personally, I believe it's fine to honor an ancient Civilization for their accomplishments as long as you also point out the shortcomings. Removing the nickname from our lexicon does neither.

btw, if this flies, I'm guessing Mug will be forced to make me change my username because I am bullying, taunting, and poking fun at a group of people who engaged in human sacrifice.

Americans Mayor

2 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

With all the tree hugging overly sensitive Libs in the Bay Area, the nickname is toast.

Personally, I believe it's fine to honor an ancient Civilization for their accomplishments as long as you also point out the shortcomings. Removing the nickname from our lexicon does neither.

Thanks for your input. But please stop referring to those people as “liberal.” 

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Thanks for your input. But please stop referring to those people as “liberal.” 

Okay.

How about overly sensitive

Americans Mayor

2 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Okay.

How about overly sensitive

As long as it’s not “liberal.” 

3 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Didn't happen in America or to Americans.  No.

Is that the standard? So a mascot like the Fighting Khmer Rouge would be okay? Honest question.

Just make them the Grizzlies. This state already has the Bears and the Bruins. Why not one more?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Is that the standard? So a mascot like the Fighting Khmer Rouge would be okay? Honest question.

No, it wouldn't.  And it isn't the same, one is a historic civilization and the other a death squad.  Nazi's aren't good either, just to be clear.  But if they were called the Cambodians or the Germans, no issue.  Dumb name, but no issue.

4 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

No, it wouldn't.  And it isn't the same, one is a historic civilization and the other a death squad.  Nazi's aren't good either, just to be clear.  But if they were called the Cambodians or the Germans, no issue.  Dumb name, but no issue.

Okay, just wondering where all the lines are going to be drawn with this mascot stuff. I thought this was a fair question in particular because the Spartans were a militaristic state that was propped up and sustained on the backs of their slaves. That and the fact they were notorious pedophiles. Thanks for your input.

Just now, East Coast Aztec said:

I would agree. The timeframe matters. Are there still people that remember and/or are affected by the treatment of a the group. This is just my opinion and I'm sure there would be others with differing opinions. ALso you could probably find an example where I would look like a hypocrite. Its hard to have a hard rule for these things. 

Its easier to examine a culture as a whole and take the good and the bad together when many, many years have passed and there aren't victim or recent descendants of victims around.

9 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I would agree. The timeframe matters. Are there still people that remember and/or are affected by the treatment of a the group. This is just my opinion and I'm sure there would be others with differing opinions. ALso you could probably find an example where I would look like a hypocrite. Its hard to have a hard rule for these things. 

Its easier to examine a culture as a whole and take the good and the bad together when many, many years have passed and there aren't victim or recent descendants of victims around.

So sometime in the distant future mascots like Rebels and Indians will be okay again?

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

So sometime in the distant future mascots like Rebels and Indians will be okay again?

I would say so. Long after the united states exists and we all exist plugged into the matrix or something.

1 minute ago, tspoke said:

I would say so. Long after the united states exists and we all exist plugged into the matrix or something.

lhagUI.gif

33 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Are there descendants of the helots around and do they compromise the majority of revenue-generating athletes on campus?

After being freed by the Macedonians, most of them stayed in the Laconia area. A majority of Greeks in the Peloponnesus are descendants of Helots.

5 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Are there descendants of the helots around and do they compromise the majority of revenue-generating athletes on campus?

Revenue-generating? I’m not sure anyone like that exists in SJSU’s department :rimshot1:

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

21 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Just make them the Grizzlies. This state already has the Bears and the Bruins. Why not one more?

I think the Sun Bears would be more appropriate.