Jump to content
Ibanez

The PAC-12 is falling apart. Multiple stories.

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

They have a right to form a union. However, the NLRB decided about 15 years ago that college players don't come under its jurisdiction. Therefore the players have no legal right to force individual schools or the conference to recognize any "union" they might organize so it would effectively be just a lobbying group. Before the National Labor Relations Act became law in 1935 many unions effectively lobbied companies to bargain with them. However, there is one immense difference between these athletes and their predecessors of a century ago: How many of those pre-NLRB workers knew their job couldn't possibly last more than five years?

 

 

Actually the players at Northwestern won a federal court ruling that says they are indeed employees and therefore they will fall under the NLRB.

 

And revenue would include media money, bowl money, perhaps student fees, and donations to the program as well as tickets sales and merchandise, parking, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

Actually the players at Northwestern won a federal court ruling that says they are indeed employees and therefore they will fall under the NLRB.

The local NLRB regional director found the Northwestern players to be employees but that decision was overturned by the presidential appointees to the board.

Here's an excellent article: https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/nlrb-ruling-on-northwestern-football-30541/

The article refreshes my recollection that public entities are exempt from NLRB jurisdiction and that creates a potential dichotomy for the P12. I'm pretty sure that California, Oregon and Washington state all have analogues to the NLRB but that isn't true of the right to work states of Arizona and Utah and I'm unsure of Colorado. To me it would be hilarious if football players at UW, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Cal and UCLA were all granted collective bargaining rights under state law whereas football players at CU, Utah, USC, Stanford and the Arizona schools were not. What an absolute mess that would create!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The local NLRB regional director found the Northwestern players to be employees but that decision was overturned by the presidential appointees to the board.

Here's an excellent article: https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/nlrb-ruling-on-northwestern-football-30541/

The article refreshes my recollection that public entities are exempt from NLRB jurisdiction and that creates a potential dichotomy for the P12. I'm pretty sure that California, Oregon and Washington state all have analogues to the NLRB but that isn't true of the right to work states of Arizona and Utah and I'm unsure of Colorado. To me it would be hilarious if football players at UW, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Cal and UCLA were all granted collective bargaining rights under state law whereas football players at CU, Utah, USC, Stanford and the Arizona schools were not. What an absolute mess that would create!

 

They took that to court, they sued, they won. The ruling is not national. The ruling is on strong legal ground and the result in other lower courts will likely find similarly.

 

You tell them when to show up and what to do, you discipline them, enter into agreements with them, and even pay them now with the stipends. That's an employee.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

 

They took that to court, they sued, they won. The ruling is not national. The ruling is on strong legal ground and the result in other lower courts will likely find similarly.

 

You tell them when to show up and what to do, you discipline them, enter into agreements with them, and even pay them now with the stipends. That's an employee.

Do the student athletes get taxed federally on the value of their scholarship and other benefits?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fowl said:

Do the student athletes get taxed federally on the value of their scholarship and other benefits?

 

Hmmm, if the company pays your taxes does that mean you're not an employee? 

 

One is about the government and you, one is about who is paying you and what they require of you for that payment, which isn't always money, like say room and board.

 

One is government regulation/procedure, one is a legal question about what an employee is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

 

They took that to court, they sued, they won. 

No, they didnt.  Didnt even take it to court.  After the NLRB ruling, the impounded unionize ballots remain sealed, and with it the effective end of the Northwestern case.  CAPA - the 'union' Kain Colter founded - stopped posting updates after the ruling.  No further attempts to unionize CFB players have been attempted.

 

https://www.collegeathletespa.org/news

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/02/college-football-needs-a-union-now-more-than-ever

In August 2015, the NLRB declined jurisdiction on the case, in part because of the complications of having only one school in the NCAA unionized. In effect, the plan fell apart, though the door was left slightly ajar for a group of athletes to repeat the process in the future with a larger coalition. While the result of the ballot remains sealed because the NLRB bowed out, Colter believes to this day that his teammates, under pressure from the school’s union-busting campaign, voted no. (In the days leading up to the vote, a Northwestern spokesman said the school had acted within NLRB parameters.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

 

Hmmm, if the company pays your taxes does that mean you're not an employee? 

 

One is about the government and you, one is about who is paying you and what they require of you for that payment, which isn't always money, like say room and board.

 

One is government regulation/procedure, one is a legal question about what an employee is.

And that one went right on by you...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, Ibanez said:

I had never heard of anyone who had heard of it and I'd go to SLC Comic-Con every year. And Logan is usually the one Boise State away game I go too. Then my wife's sister got a job there right outside of SLC. The things you here down there at business parties. My goodness.

My wife and I go to SLC Comic-Con (FanX now, I guess) every year, as well. Except this year, of course...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 10:46 AM, AztecSU said:

Here's my solution. Revenue share with the players but get rid of D1A football scholarships. Deduct tuition and fees from their share and then provide them whats left. I'm not saying these kids shouldn't get a share of the wealth but lets not pretend their degrees are free either. 

NCAA-side or by school, because could the G5 even compete for talent with the difference of 60-180M (depending on the schools being compared) in revenues?

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

NCAA-side or by school, because could the G5 even compete for talent with the difference of 60-180M (depending on the schools being compared) in revenues?

I think we would need to detail which revenues are shared and how much. (TV/Tickets/Merchandise) x (X% of Net Revenue) / Roster. All funds would be placed in a trust and released to players at the end of each school year. If their tuition, fees, housing, are then deducted I don't think it will be quite as lucrative as everyone thinks. Sure there are 10-15 schools who are way up there, but the costs of the programs are so high there isn't a bunch of extra money lying around to throw at everyone once ops are covered. When these college players see part of their share being shaved to cover stadium depreciation and the like I really think they'll all get a good financial education in the process that many otherwise wouldn't. 

Here's another piece of this...the football revenues in excess tend to fund other sports programs...and then require women's programs to match (title IV). Is Title IV compatible with paying CFB players the extra revenue FB creates? Seems like there is something missing in all that?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RSF said:

No, they didnt.  Didnt even take it to court.  After the NLRB ruling, the impounded unionize ballots remain sealed, and with it the effective end of the Northwestern case.  CAPA - the 'union' Kain Colter founded - stopped posting updates after the ruling.  No further attempts to unionize CFB players have been attempted.

 

https://www.collegeathletespa.org/news

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/02/college-football-needs-a-union-now-more-than-ever

In August 2015, the NLRB declined jurisdiction on the case, in part because of the complications of having only one school in the NCAA unionized. In effect, the plan fell apart, though the door was left slightly ajar for a group of athletes to repeat the process in the future with a larger coalition. While the result of the ballot remains sealed because the NLRB bowed out, Colter believes to this day that his teammates, under pressure from the school’s union-busting campaign, voted no. (In the days leading up to the vote, a Northwestern spokesman said the school had acted within NLRB parameters.)

 

 

My bad, it was the NLRB lawyer who two years later told them they were right. Some legal action was considered then, but the O'Bannon case had overtaken the players right movement and I believe some of the most likely NW students were involved in another lawsuit for injuries/concussions as well as having moved on from being NW players.

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeleef/2017/02/22/federal-official-again-declares-that-college-football-players-can-unionize/#7f34c14d42e7

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...