Ibanez

The PAC-12 is falling apart. Multiple stories.

First there is this little nugget:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2020/07/canzano-pac-12-presidents-and-chancellors-put-the-squeeze-on-conference-headquarters.html%3foutputType=amp

Scott is gonna get fired one way or the other. As someone who lives near a PAC-12 college town, I can tell you every school that matters in that conference is unhappy with Scott.

Also, the PAC-12 are holding a presser the third week of this month. Their thinking is a late season or spring start won't work and while the other conferences are having a wait and see approach, The PAC-12 has decided that they are gonna cancel the season and hope the others follow. It was originally planned for this weekend.

And finally, USC are once again talking to  outside parties. All preliminary discussions. The Big 12 has reached out to Colorado and CU leaving is a point of concern. Mike Schill has vowed to keep the conference together and has had one on one talks with other conference Presidents. Even though the conclusion is no one will actually leave, as many as half the schools have had talks with other conferences over the last nine months. Schill is the President at Oregon.

So, looks like the MWC needs to find some opponents unless we get a miracle cure soon.

• Like 1

CU never should have joined.  Almost as stupid as BSU/SUDS to the AAC. 

U$C is the only PAC team who could make independence or a diff conf viable, but it would be silly for them to do it. Theyre fine as is

• Like 2
1 minute ago, godogsgo said:

CU never should have joined.  Almost as stupid as BSU/SUDS to the AAC. 

U$C is the only PAC team who could make independence or a diff conf viable, but it would be silly for them to do it. Theyre fine as is

Don't know why you say this :shrug:

As an alum, I'm very glad CU got the hell out of the B12 and joined the PAC.

3 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

Why?  Curious...

I think it's a better cultural fit and I get to see my team play more often on the west coast.

• Like 3
Just now, renoskier said:

I think it's a better cultural fit and I get to see my team play more often on the west coast.

I can see that.  Why might they be looking to leave / return?

CU going back to the B12 would be weird. 

I think the P12 is most likely of the P5 to be raided etc. But if I was the B12 I would be courting the two LA schools as well as the AZ schools and then Utah and BYU as a final worst case option. I bet the B12 wouldn't mind adding 4 if its USC/UCLA/ASU/AU. 

• Like 2

Talk is cheap, as they say.  And so are internet rumors.  everybody talks to everybody.

There are 2 key dates - July 2022 and July 2023.  The 1st one represents one year until the end of the Big 10 TV deal, the second one year before the end of the Pac 12 deal.  Until we hit those dates, anything heard is just stuff people say to make themselves sound wired in.  IF the Big 10 decides they want to expand - and given the TV numbers they can expect to see, the chances are pretty small - then any kind of serious talks with prospective members wont happen until then.  If they decide the answer is yes, then nobody in the Big 12 or Pac 12 is safe from being affected and the chess game will begin in earnest.  If they decide the answer is no, then we jump to July 2023.  And the question there will be 'which conference - the Pac 12 or Big 12 - will be in a better position to offer a school or schools a deal?'.  Right now, its arguably the Big 12.  They get more per school, with only 10 schools there's flexibility, and for once some stability internally.  But 3 years is a long time.  A lot can change.  And its also just as likely a whole lot of nothing happens, except the TV deals grow enough to make schools at least somewhat comfortable with the pecking order, which is unlikely to change no matter what happens.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

First there is this little nugget:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2020/07/canzano-pac-12-presidents-and-chancellors-put-the-squeeze-on-conference-headquarters.html%3foutputType=amp

Scott is gonna get fired one way or the other. As someone who lives near a PAC-12 college town, I can tell you every school that matters in that conference is unhappy with Scott.

Also, the PAC-12 are holding a presser the third week of this month. Their thinking is a late season or spring start won't work and while the other conferences are having a wait and see approach, The PAC-12 has decided that they are gonna cancel the season and hope the others follow. It was originally planned for this weekend.

And finally, USC are once again talking to  outside parties. All preliminary discussions. The Big 12 has reached out to Colorado and CU leaving is a point of concern. Mike Schill has vowed to keep the conference together and has had one on one talks with other conference Presidents. Even though the conclusion is no one will actually leave, as many as half the schools have had talks with other conferences over the last nine months. Schill is the President at Oregon.

So, looks like the MWC needs to find some opponents unless we get a miracle cure soon.

You've been ahead of the curve on all this...

Problem is that college sports are dying in the Western United States.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

CU going back to the B12 would be weird. 

I think the P12 is most likely of the P5 to be raided etc. But if I was the B12 I would be courting the two LA schools as well as the AZ schools and then Utah and BYU as a final worst case option. I bet the B12 wouldn't mind adding 4 if its USC/UCLA/ASU/AU. 

I live in the heart of Big 12 country and raiding those schools are not a popular choice.  Maybe 10 years ago.  But USC, UCLA are not the draw they used to be and wouldn't be cultural fit in a southern/midwestern league.  Also, that would be two time zones seperated from majority of Big 12 schools and make for some very late kickoffs and bad tv.  After living in Dallas for several years, I see the passion in the region for college football and it is not the same in west and only getting worse IMO. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RamDFW said:

I live in the heart of Big 12 country and raiding those schools are not a popular choice.  Maybe 10 years ago.  But USC, UCLA are not the draw they used to be and wouldn't be cultural fit in a southern/midwestern league.  Also, that would be two time zones seperated from majority of Big 12 schools and make for some very late kickoffs and bad tv.  After living in Dallas for several years, I see the passion in the region for college football and it is not the same in west and only getting worse IMO. 

The Arizona schools are a popular discussion point for B12 expansion.  BYU gets some support as well, but is extremely polarizing.

• Like 2

I think after the coronavirus pandemic passes the Pac-12 and Scott will part ways. The presidents that are allegedly unhappy with Scott will likely have the biggest say in who replaces him, so the replacement will take the conference in whatever direction the powerful presidents want. The B1G is going to control what happens regardless; if they want to expand, dominoes will fall, if they don’t, we probably get status quo. 

8 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Stanford drops 11 sports programs.

That leaves them with, what, 75 or 80?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
3 minutes ago, RSF said:

The Arizona schools are a popular discussion point for B12 expansion.  BYU gets some support as well, but is extremely polarizing.

If BYU was gonna happen it would've.  Big 12 doesn't seem to want to mess with no Sunday games and some of their religious views.  They are too far seperated culturally and geographically.  Also, since going indie, BYU has lost a lot of their influence.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, godogsgo said:

I can see that.  Why might they be looking to leave / return?

Exposure. Since CU went to the PAC-12 they have dropped out of national conversations and football nosedived. Attendence dropped, recruiting suffered, no rivalries aside from CSU which they don't even wanna play according to some. Buffalo's have found out that kickoff times in the central time zone has  a heck of a lot more benefits than the Pacific time zone. Plus, Buffs fans don't care about Oregon State, Cal, and Arizona. They care about Oklahoma State,  Kansas State, and Iowa State more. Nevermind travel for those fans. Also, do you think Colorado would rather play Oregon and USC or Oklahoma and Texas?

Stanford just cut about 100 sports. Jeez.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Stanford drops 11 sports programs.

When was that?