Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokerider

California to promote active discrimination

They want to change the State Constitution to allow and actively promote discrimination based on race, ethnicity, etc.  Not equality, but forced inequality.  We are not individuals that are equal under the law, but different depending on our sex, color and ethnicity.  So a white person who shoplifts could be given jail time while the black person gets off.  Or you have to hire a black person regardless if they can even do the job, many tech companies can't find skilled people as it is.  A University would have to take a black C student over a straight A Asian student.  This has already been passed in the California legislature and will go up for vote in Nov.  

ACA 5 is a proposed constitutional amendment, recently passed by the state legislature, that would strike Proposition 209 from California’s Constitution. Proposition 209 currently reads as follows: “The State shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.” 

Asian Americans, who enjoy higher rates of college acceptance in a merit-based admission process, have been particularly outspoken against ACA 5.  

3 minutes ago, pokerider said:

They want to change the State Constitution to allow and actively promote discrimination based on race, ethnicity, etc.  Not equality, but forced inequality.  We are not individuals that are equal under the law, but different depending on our sex, color and ethnicity.  So a white person who shoplifts could be given jail time while the black person gets off.  Or you have to hire a black person regardless if they can even do the job, many tech companies can't find skilled people as it is.  A University would have to take a black C student over a straight A Asian student.  This has already been passed in the California legislature and will go up for vote in Nov.  

ACA 5 is a proposed constitutional amendment, recently passed by the state legislature, that would strike Proposition 209 from California’s Constitution. Proposition 209 currently reads as follows: “The State shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.” 

Asian Americans, who enjoy higher rates of college acceptance in a merit-based admission process, have been particularly outspoken against ACA 5.  

How do you feel about Affirmative Action?

34 minutes ago, pokerider said:

The good news is people can vote with their feet....unless you are in the ghetto....then moving is not even a remote possibility.  :banhammer:

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

This bill really hates Prop 209.  Asian groups are split in support/approve.  Besides asian groups, it looks like it is supported by pretty much everyone else.  Any Californians have an opinion on this?

Honestly I haven't heard much about it other than in the context of college admissions and Asian Americans. I don't know enough to have an opinion but it sure feels like the sort of Prop that is well meaning but will lead to all sorts of unforeseen consequences and maybe end up tossed out eventually. 

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

A lot of people opposing ACA5 are going to have to take a break from calling COVID Kung Flu while they briefly pretend to care about the plight of Asian Americans. 

Dude — I absolutely despise that fat +++++ Trump but I kinda laugh at kung flu. Does that make me evil or racist? Lol

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Dude — I absolutely despise that fat +++++ Trump but I kinda laugh at kung flu. Does that make me evil or racist? Lol

Kung Flu isn’t all that funny to me. Not because I’m offended, joke just didn’t land for me. But when Trump was ranting about the Redskins and he said Indians like Elizabeth Warren must be upset I literally LOLd. As disgusting of a person as I think he is, he can be pretty damn funny.

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Not evil, but a little racist and 13 years old.

My in-laws are Asian I know my niece and nephew had white kids kids do the slanty eye thing and ching chong talk to them and ask them if they know karate. It made them feel like outsiders and lonely.

19 minutes ago, toonkee said:

My in-laws are Asian I know my niece and nephew had white kids kids do the slanty eye thing and ching chong talk to them and ask them if they know karate. It made them feel like outsiders and lonely.

So educate me here — I laughed at kung flu because it reminded me of the old martial arts movies. I also largely blame the Chinese government for COVID escaping its borders. But does that make me racist and if so how? Honest question. Thanks.

BTW — I get why your in-laws children were hurt by the slant eye thing. That is hurtful and I’m sorry that happened to them.

28 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I did one year in public school, 7th grade at West Jr High.  We had a these portable units out in a field that the kids would fight behind.  A lot of us would gather around as we watched kids settle this or that beef.  Small Korean boy, Peter, was bullied all semester by the group of popular kids.  His parents were first generation immigrants.  They did the slanty eyed thing, and made all those jokes.  Pushed him into lockers.  Followed him around hitting him with binders and crap.  Kids can be cruel.  The largest of the guys Ethan, crossed the line one day, I forget exactly what it was that happened.  Anyways little tiny Peter challenged him to a fight behind the portables.  Everybody gathered to watch this small kid get his butt kicked, a few of us were planning to step in and create a group fight.  Not necessary.  Fight was over in 5 seconds.  Kid landed a kick right to Ethan's jaw and knocked him out cold.  Mouth bloody as hell as he bit his tongue.  Turns out his dad ran the ATA center and he had been practicing  taekwondo since he was old enough to walk.  For the last few weeks of the school year, he could not walk down a hallway without people yelling "Peeeeeteeeeeer!".  One of my favorite memories.  

25 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Kung Flu isn’t all that funny to me. Not because I’m offended, joke just didn’t land for me. But when Trump was ranting about the Redskins and he said Indians like Elizabeth Warren must be upset I literally LOLd. As disgusting of a person as I think he is, he can be pretty damn funny.

I think he’s largely not funny but this was a rare exception. 

9 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I think he’s largely not funny but this was a rare exception. 

Trump says things that are pretty funny from time to time.  If he could just stick to that, and cut down everything else he says by 95%, he would be really well liked.  Too bad for him he is mentally ill with narcissistic personality disorder.

33 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

So educate me here — I laughed at kung flu because it reminded me of the old martial arts movies. I also largely blame the Chinese government for COVID escaping its borders. But does that make me racist and if so how? Honest question. Thanks.

BTW — I get why your in-laws children were hurt by the slant eye thing. That is hurtful and I’m sorry that happened to them.

I'd say reducing a race of people to a stereotype for laughs is racist.  It's like a chicken and watermelon joke. Not very enlightened. Not very...liberal. 

11 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I'd say reducing a race of people to a stereotype for laughs is racist.  It's like a chicken and watermelon joke. Not very enlightened. Not very...liberal. 

Okay, I understand that’s your point of view. Would you believe me if I said that I don’t “reduce all Asians to a stereotype” based on a reference to an series of movies that was popular when I was a kid? Because honestly, I don’t view Asians as inferior to Caucasians in anyway whatsoever. 

48 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Okay, I understand that’s your point of view. Would you believe me if I said that I don’t “reduce all Asians to a stereotype” based on a reference to an series of movies that was popular when I was a kid? Because honestly, I don’t view Asians as inferior to Caucasians in anyway whatsoever. 

You better not because my niece and nephew know karate and will chop that ass.

13 hours ago, renoskier said:

How do you feel about Affirmative Action?

Affirmative action has a huge scope, so you’ll have to be more specific than that. It can consist of hard quotas to just encouraging minorities to apply. Encouraging minorities to apply is still appropriate and fine in my book because the best person for the job can still be hired. Quotas are a dinosaur that needs to completely die, though. If a large company of 1,000 people has no minorities, then that’s obviously a big problem that could be addressed with a class action lawsuit and whatever pressure the government can do short of requiring hard number quotas. That’s my opinion. 

Hard quotas of Affirmative action in school don’t work either. Example, when I was going to UNLV in the mid-90’s, a lot of black kids out of HS were sent to HBCU’s back East for their first two years, and then were transferred in to UNLV for upper division Engineering. I got to know a couple of my prof’s pretty well, and they both told me that they were being forced to pass these transferred in black students, even if it meant a D-. They got all the cushy internships such as with the Dept. of Energy where they could do some school work on the clock. But this didn’t do anything for them because they mostly struggled to stay employed after they graduated. The only thing that saved some is simply the company didn’t want any EEOC complaints on discrimination. So the learning has to happen, and they have to compete like everyone else for a job. I certainly don’t have problems with tutors being paid to help them learn and things like that. The tragic thing in all that was the smart and disciplined black kids that did well had to separate themselves and deal with the stereotype of the transferred in black kids. In other words, when an employer was reviewing resumes to select interviews, would the employer think the high grades were really earned, or were they there because the school was easy on them? 

kat.jpg