Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

The Demand for Racism to Fight Against is far outstripping Supply

Guest #1Stunner

It's clear, that there is a huge, pent up demand for racism to fight against.   Many people are searching to have their "I marched with Dr. King" moment....  Huge demand for racism in the country right now.

Problem is, that in 2020, there is simply not enough racism to go around.   So, we have a huge demand, and not enough supply.

Result?  Micro-analysis of everything, including historical figures or monuments, searching for racism.  People vandalizing and tearing down Lincoln and Fredrick Douglas statues, being offended by Mt. Rushmore, being offended by the 4th of July.... Even people offended by the National Anthem???  People worried about things like the Spanish Conquistadors (400 years ago)

Who would have guessed?

Personally, I think that people respond better to "coming together" messages,.... Lay down your prejudices, and come together....   But maybe that is out of fashion . 

https://komonews.com/news/local/police-7-wash-state-men-arrested-after-harassing-black-family-at-ore-beach

Seven men from Washington state were arrested at an Oregon beach Saturday after police say they harassed and intimidated a Black family during a Fourth of July event.

The incident unfolded at about 9:30 p.m. at the ocean beach area in front of the Inn at Spanish Head in Lincoln City, Ore., when officers responded to a report of a disturbance.

According to police, officers learned that a group of white men were taunting a Black family at the beach, allegedly insulting them, performing Nazi salutes and shouting racial slurs at them.

Police said the men were “highly intoxicated” and lit illegal fireworks and challenged the officers to fight.

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

That sucks!   Why are people jerks like this?!?!

Wear a BYU shirt in Laramie / State of Wyoming, and you will probably experience similar results!!!   ( @Bob, @pokerider how many times have you drunkenly harassed BYU fans...be honest!!!!)

It sounds like this unfortunate incident was appropriately dealt with...

Police were called, and the racist drunkards were dealt with.  But, I'm not sure that this is evidence of a massive racism problem in the State of Oregon.

You posted this response in this topic.   Were you trying to make a point you forgot to articulate? 

Guest #1Stunner
16 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

You said there is not enough racism to go around.  I think you are wrong.

A few thoughts.

(1) Nutpicking.... It is tempting to find a random incident / nut job, and then extrapolate, and act like that nut is the norm, and that, based on the actions of a nut, we have a massive problem.  But, nut picking is not reality, and is a logical fallacy.  

Look, there will always be a few nuts, that we can't do anything about.   But seriously, do you honestly think that this guy in the levi jacket vest you posted is indicative of the population as a whole, or that the other guy is indicative of the Boise Police.Department?   I highly doubt it.... Maybe I am naive, and the Boise Police Department is fully staffed by Nazis...???   Regarding his actions, the Boise Police Department should investigate him, and his actions, on a case by case basis.  Maybe fire this one guy if he is racist.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nutpicking

(2) Please reread my post.  I stated that it appears that we have a massive overreaction (over demand, not enough supply) for racism, which is evident by people micro-analyzing things, and calling them racist (4th of July, National Anthem, Abraham Lincoln, Fredrick Douglas, Teddy Roosevelt).   Not much good comes from that, in my opinion, and it is finding racism in symbols or institutions, where none exists.  I get that some people are struggling to find a supply of racism to fight against where they live, (or that they personally don't get to experience racism), but the overreaction, isn't helping battle real racism.   What good is calling things racist, that aren't really racist?  Who is that going to help?

(3) Shouting racism, or labeling things as guilty (white privilege), or racist, doesn't really bring people together (which might be the goal of some).  The better message is to bring people together through shared values and experiences.   Focus on the positive.  (See Ray Charles' approach)..    

29 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Just to clarify - the 7 men were all from Russia as well.  Yes, from Russia.  

The men arrested were: Gennadiy Kachankov, 30, Antoliy Kachankov, 28, Andrey Zaytsev, 28, Oleg Saranchuk, 45, Ruslan Tkachenko, 22, and Yuriy Kachankov, 30. A seventh man refused to identify himself, police said. All were from Clark County in Washington state.

@#1Stunner I wish this were true. Sadly it looks like there are still a percentage of people in this country who are racist (mostly underground). Plus the fact that @Bob agrees with you, you already know you're on the wrong side of the argument. :)

Just a couple of sad observations from the good ole Beehive State: 

SALT LAKE CITY — Representatives from Utah’s minority communities shared stories this week addressing the injustices they’ve faced because of their race, providing Utah Gov. Gary Herbert and other policymakers with suggestions of how they can address racism in Utah.

The emergency meeting, which Herbert and Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox asked to attend in light of the ongoing protests across the nation, was held by the state’s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Human Rights and Multicultural Affairs commissions. Speakers shared stories for more than two hours, prompting Herbert to become openly emotional at the end.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46761603/black-utahns-meet-with-governor-to-share-stories-offer-suggestions-to-address-racism

The Utah Jazz have reportedly banned another fan for life from Vivint Smart Home Arena. 

The ban comes three days after issuing their first such ban to a fan for similar actions. According to the The Deseret News' Eric Woodyard and The Salt Lake Tribune's Eric Walden and Andy Larsen, the fan being banned is one who used a derogatory term in talking to Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook during the 2018 playoffs.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/03/15/reports-utah-jazz-lifetime-ban-second-fan

On Thursday, one day after Scalley was reinstated as defensive coordinator and issued an emotional apology, Lacy tweeted that he received threats to his family, tagging Utah's official Twitter account as he wrote, "I am sickened by this! My mother is in fear after her address was exposed. No phone call, no care, but you had enough time to rewrite a contract for a coach that has blatantly proven misconduct."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29401660/ex-utah-cb-ryan-lacy-got-death-threats-alleging-coach-used-slur

I hope that racism is dying, but its dying an awfully damn slow death

55 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Just to clarify - the 7 men were all from Russia as well.  Yes, from Russia.  

The men arrested were: Gennadiy Kachankov, 30, Antoliy Kachankov, 28, Andrey Zaytsev, 28, Oleg Saranchuk, 45, Ruslan Tkachenko, 22, and Yuriy Kachankov, 30. A seventh man refused to identify himself, police said.

All were from Clark County in Washington state.

Which is it?  One of them has been convicted of stabbing someone in America too.  Would he not have been deported if he was from Russia?

12 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Which is it?  One of them has been convicted of stabbing someone in America too.  Would he not have been deported if he was from Russia?

Not picking a side in this, just stating some geographic facts.  Clark County is mainly the city of Vancouver, Washington, which just so happens to have a very large contingent of Russian Immigrants.  Can't speak to whether they are citizens or not, just know that there is a large Russian community there.

4 minutes ago, dogpound14228 said:

Not picking a side in this, just stating some geographic facts.  Clark County is mainly the city of Vancouver, Washington, which just so happens to have a very large contingent of Russian Immigrants.  Can't speak to whether they are citizens or not, just know that there is a large Russian community there.

We have a ton in Minneapolis too.  The guy that accidentally drove through the protest was one.  Most under 30 are American-born, so it is confusing to say with absolute certainty where they are from.  Really, does it matter, if they are here practicing their stupidity, then it is stupidity in America, period.

47 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

@#1Stunner I wish this were true. Sadly it looks like there are still a percentage of people in this country who are racist (mostly underground). Plus the fact that @Bob agrees with you, you already know you're on the wrong side of the argument. :)

Sad to say I don’t think we’ll ever get to a 100% non-racist society. I believe there will always be a fringe group of bigots out there. And I don’t think you’ll find any country that has completely eradicated racism or bigotry.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

59 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Don't need to look for racism anymore, just call everything and everyone who doesn't agree racist and makes it easier.  

2 hours ago, Bob said:

We need a war to unite us

You know, I was just thinking, you know what this country needs right now?  A new war.  Yes, with everything going on, sending a bunch of young punks to die overseas while and putting it all on the credit card will fix EVERYTHING.

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

We have a ton in Minneapolis too.  The guy that accidentally drove through the protest was one.  Most under 30 are American-born, so it is confusing to say with absolute certainty where they are from.  Really, does it matter, if they are here practicing their stupidity, then it is stupidity in America, period.

100% agree with the above.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You know, I was just thinking, you know what this country needs right now?  A new war.  Yes, with everything going on, sending a bunch of young punks to die overseas while and putting it all on the credit card will fix EVERYTHING.

it's gonna be a war on space. +++++ you space. You know what we're gonna do? we're gonna put bubbles of air in you. +++++ you that's right. Then we're gonna take your shit. Your osmium? ours. Palladium? ours. We get good enough- your iron? ours. Your helium 3? ours. We're gonna put bubbles of air on the moon and mars and probably jovian and cronian moons. we're gonna ejaculate money at beating space cause +++++ YOU SPACE

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, happycamper said:

it's gonna be a war on space. +++++ you space. You know what we're gonna do? we're gonna put bubbles of air in you. +++++ you that's right. Then we're gonna take your shit. Your osmium? ours. Palladium? ours. We get good enough- your iron? ours. Your helium 3? ours. We're gonna put bubbles of air on the moon and mars and probably jovian and cronian moons. we're gonna ejaculate money at beating space cause +++++ YOU SPACE

How very Caligulian. 

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

But also yes please.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I definitely agree there is still racism, don't get me wrong.   Not sure it is as wide-spread as the narrative we are hearing.  Also, ignorance is not the same as racism.

Also, the Morgan Scalley incident, and the Jazz incident are hardly representative, and, the only parties that can claim that affected them were the 4 individuals involved.  I can't claim Morgan Scalley did something against me, right?   We can judge, and resolve not to act like those two random nuts. 

But back to my original comment.... it's not that there aren't some incidents of racism out there (there are)....its just that there aren't enough of them for everyone to claim their personal ownership of a racism event... Like I said, demand is far outstripping supply.   

So, now we have some woke (maybe well-intentioned?) people desperately searching for their personal ownership claim of a racism event, and are digging a bit deep, latching on to stuff like Mount Rushmore, the 4th of July, statues, etc.   4th of July is racist?!?!  It's getting kind of silly.   

Some people need to find their "I marched with Dr. King" ownership stake, and there isn't enough racism to go around, so I guess they are finding stuff...