Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Car vs Protesters

If protesters are breaking your window, climbing on your car, and trying to open your door,  and fearing for your life. are you legally justified in trying to drive through the crowd if you injure protesters? I’ve seen this in a number of instances and wonder how the law would interpret the situation.

OTOH I’ve seen cars deliberately run down protesters where I assume the driver will be charged. 

13 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

If protesters are breaking your window, climbing on your car, and trying to open your door,  and fearing for your life. are you legally justified in trying to drive through the crowd if you injure protesters? I’ve seen this in a number of instances and wonder how the law would interpret the situation.

OTOH I’ve seen cars deliberately run down protesters where I assume the driver will be charged. 

I'd never intentionally run over some one just cause they were being assholes,  I've wanted to on the highways maaaaaannnnnyyyy times. (but didn't obviously )....but in your scenario if a mob of people were damaging my Jeep intent on harming me just because I happened to be on the same street as them ...well..it's four wheel Rubicon time. Let's lawyer up.

People have the right to defend themselves. 

The picture of Reginald Denny being dragged out of his truck and nearly killed by a mob arises whenever I see mobs surrounding cars and breaking windows. Recently the driver was shot by a protester in Provo of all places. He drove through the mob knocking protesters out of the way. 

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Nobody is breaking windows, climbing on your car, and trying to open your door, unless you are trying to drive through (even slowly) the protest.  Or if you roll down your window and shout obscenities or whatever. 

In Seattle a day or two ago, protesters shut down a section of the interstate (with help of police to control on ramps) in the middle of the night so they could protest.  Some asshole in a Jaguar drove up the exit ramp, around a barricade and hit two people going pretty fast.  One died and another is in critical condition.  The driver there is definitely going to face homicide charges.  There is video of that but I won't share here because it's pretty horrific.

I have truck-driving friends that are pretty loyal Trump supporters that "joke" about running over protestors in a situation like this.  Completely dehumanizing the BLM movement calling them terrorists or whatever.  I think that is a pretty dangerous line of thinking that if carried out would get you locked up in an 8x8 cell for the rest of your life.

Anyway, I think you'd have to be pretty damn dumb to get a peaceful protest to turn into a mob that wants to kill you.

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Nobody is breaking windows, climbing on your car, and trying to open your door, unless you are trying to drive through (even slowly) the protest.  Or if you roll down your window and shout obscenities or whatever. 

In Seattle a day or two ago, protesters shut down a section of the interstate (with help of police to control on ramps) in the middle of the night so they could protest.  Some asshole in a Jaguar drove up the exit ramp, around a barricade and hit two people going pretty fast.  One died and another is in critical condition.  The driver there is definitely going to face homicide charges.  There is video of that but I won't share here because it's pretty horrific.

I have truck-driving friends that are pretty loyal Trump supporters that "joke" about running over protestors in a situation like this.  Completely dehumanizing the BLM movement calling them terrorists or whatever.  I think that is a pretty dangerous line of thinking that if carried out would get you locked up in an 8x8 cell for the rest of your life.

Anyway, I think you'd have to be pretty damn dumb to get a peaceful protest to turn into a mob that wants to kill you.

It's ironic in this Seattle case, the driver was black and the two protestors were white women.   I don't think that will go unnoticed.

14 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I have never understood the stand in the middle of the road and block traffic strategy to protest. All it does is piss people off and make them hate you. 

Should one's right to protest have the right to prevent you from using the road?   If your downtown in a big city, it may be difficult to not block some streets.  But going out on freeways and busy highways and deliberately trying to stop traffic or prevent others is not ok and I have no sympathy at all if they get run over. 

On 7/5/2020 at 8:49 PM, soupslam1 said:

Blow the horn non-stop, turn on the emergency flashers and then move at 5 mph then gradually pick up to 10 mph. Ideally you’d have a padded V shaped snow plow blade on the front of your truck that would push everyone off to one side or the other. 

kat.jpg

On 7/5/2020 at 8:49 PM, soupslam1 said:

But what works best is to think ahead and install a horn speaker on the front bumper of your car, and have it connected to your car stereo so you can blast Nickelback tunes at ear splitting levels. That shit works way better than pepper spray, and in just seconds you’ll have them running away like little biitches. The problem with this approach is you actually have to buy Nickelback tunes to do it, and that is like selling your soul to the God of Shit. 

kat.jpg