Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Makur Maker Passes on Kentucky, UCLA, and Memphis for...

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

He obviously doesn’t care about making the NBA.  The MEAC is either the worst or second worst conference in D1 along with the SWAC.  Both are comprised solely of HBCUs.

He can still easily be drafted.  He will just have an easier time to make a highlight reel.

good for him. While I have not heard of him I'm sure the Howard fans are excited as he should dominate that conference that lead the stat sheet every game. Memphis is pretty much waiting on Moussa Cisse to make a decision for 2020.

our current roster looks like:

C - Malcolm Dandridge (So)
F - DJ Jeffries (So)
G/F - Lester Quinones (So)
G - Boogie Ellis (So)
G - Landers Nolley III (Jr) {sitting out/waiting on waiver}
----bench----
C/F - Isaiah Stokes (So)
F - DeAndre Williams (Jr) {sitting out/waiting on waiver}
F - Lance Thomas (Jr)
F - Ahmad Rand (Jr)
G - Alex Lomax (Jr)
G - Damion Baugh (So)
----walk on?----
G - Jayden Hardaway (Jr)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

He obviously doesn’t care about making the NBA.  The MEAC is either the worst or second worst conference in D1 along with the SWAC.  Both are comprised solely of HBCUs.

I think that’s exactly why he chose to go there. He wants to be a trend setter and see more elite black athletes go to HBCUs. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

23 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I think that’s exactly why he chose to go there. He wants to be a trend setter and see more elite black athletes go to HBCUs. 

Howard is in the heart of DC.  He'll be seen by scouts.  Kinda hard to miss a 6'11, top 25 prep prospect even if he goes to a HBCU.

10 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Howard is in the heart of DC.  He'll be seen by scouts.  Kinda hard to miss a 6'11, top 25 prep prospect even if he goes to a HBCU.

If he’s talented he’s going to be scouted. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

23 minutes ago, mugtang said:

If he’s talented he’s going to be scouted. 

As a bonus, Howard is hosting Notre Dame this year.  If hoops is played that should be a lock for an ESPN or ESPN2 broadcast.

They'll get a couple national broadcasts with Maker coming.  Count on it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/06/19/howard-notre-dame-basketball/

2 minutes ago, CV147 said:

He won't compete for a national championship, but he's following his heart. I respect that.

There’s only ten conferences at most who can produce a team capable of winning a national championship.  The MW is one.

10 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Good for him! who are you to judge, and he will probably play one year or has aspirations of actually getting an education

Honestly I have been saying for a while it makes sense for top basketball recruits (like top 15) to go to "lesser" basketball schools. That could be a Howard, a local state school, ect. Why?

-top 15 recruits, baring absolute catastrophe, will get drafted to the NBA after a year in college. Thus they are only committing to school for what 8 months? They can pretty much arrive in July and be out by April of the next year. 8 months is not that long of a commitment. In football you are making a 3 year commitment before you can jump to the pros.

-You can be a legend at Howard (or where ever you pick) compared to just another player at Kansas, Duke, UNC, ect. Attendance will skyrocket for a year, the school might get a couple of ESPN primetime games, you are almost a lock for the schools hall of fame, ect

-The ENTIRE offensive/defensive schemes can be run through you/your strengths.  

-You will get a few chances to play any the top teams (maybe a couple in the OOC and one in the NCAAT). So it is not like you are 100% shut of from playing the best schools.

-The NBA is more sophisticated with evaluations. They will find talent where ever it is. 30 years ago it might have been harder to get noticed at a small school but that is no longer the case. 

13 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

He a one and done and on to the NBA. Kind of nice to see the blue bloods get snubbed. I wonder how much some of the blue bloods offered him under the table. 

Honestly that the ONLY thing he is really losing. Howard (or any other small school) might be less likely to offer a payment than a blue blood with a lot more money. But then again if they high school kids want the money they can just go to the G league like Green and a couple of other high prospects did. 

1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

Honestly I have been saying for a while it makes sense for top basketball recruits (like top 15) to go to "lesser" basketball schools. That could be a Howard, a local state school, ect. Why?

-top 15 recruits, baring absolute catastrophe, will get drafted to the NBA after a year in college. Thus they are only committing to school for what 8 months? They can pretty much arrive in July and be out by April of the next year. 8 months is not that long of a commitment. In football you are making a 3 year commitment before you can jump to the pros.

-You can be a legend at Howard (or where ever you pick) compared to just another player at Kansas, Duke, UNC, ect. Attendance will skyrocket for a year, the school might get a couple of ESPN primetime games, you are almost a lock for the schools hall of fame, ect

-The ENTIRE offensive/defensive schemes can be run through you/your strengths.  

-You will get a few chances to play any the top teams (maybe a couple in the OOC and one in the NCAAT). So it is not like you are 100% shut of from playing the best schools.

-The NBA is more sophisticated with evaluations. They will find talent where ever it is. 30 years ago it might have been harder to get noticed at a small school but that is no longer the case. 

That’s what Trae Young did but at P5 Oklahoma.