Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

broncsrock

Boise State cuts Baseball and Swimming/Diving

50 minutes ago, renoskier said:

IMO, "Pay for Play" isn't really accurate. At minimum, recruited players get 1/4 scholly and most probably get closer to 1/2. Not exactly chicken feed. 

I am making the assumption that most of these kids would be paying to attend college somewhere.

Under NCAA rules, a Division 1 baseball team's 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players on a 35-player roster, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25 percent scholarship. That leaves room for eight walk-ons.

Simple math. How do you get “most get 50 percent” when you can award only 11.7 ships in 25 percent to 27 players - plus 8 walk ons?  Factor in the fact that the best pitchers get the bulk of the scholarship money, and like I said, it’s pay for play. The BEST thing an offer does is help you get into a school like a UC. But the reality is that if this is your son, they better have great grades because the academic side is way more lucrative when playing college baseball because it IS going to cost a lot of money.

The JC side is a huge racket. They have rosters of 50+ kids. 

4 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Under NCAA rules, a Division 1 baseball team's 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players on a 35-player roster, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25 percent scholarship. That leaves room for eight walk-ons.

Simple math. How do you get “most get 50 percent” when you can award only 11.7 ships in 25 percent to 27 players - plus 8 walk ons?  Factor in the fact that the best pitchers get the bulk of the scholarship money, and like I said, it’s pay for play. The BEST thing an offer does is help you get into a school like a UC. But the reality is that if this is your son, they better have great grades because the academic side is way more lucrative when playing college baseball because it IS going to cost a lot of money.

The JC route is a great option IMO. Cheaper for the students, and gives top prospects a chance to play against a higher level of competition with another chance to get drafted before having to go the NCAA route. What do you mean by “racket” though? It’s not like JC baseball is a revenue generator. 

5 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Easy. You have 23-24 players on 1/2 scholarship and the rest walk on. What are the walk-ons really there for anyway? Easy to play a college season with 24 players.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Easy. You have 23-24 players on 1/2 scholarship and the rest walk on. What are the walk-ons really there for anyway? Easy to play a college season with 24 players.

Skier. I’ve spent the last three years of my life on this. You’re wrong. 

7 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The JC route is a great option IMO. Cheaper for the students, and gives top prospects a chance to play against a higher level of competition with another chance to get drafted before having to go the NCAA route. What do you mean by “racket” though? It’s not like JC baseball is a revenue generator. 

It’s a great option if you’re kid wants to play baseball. It’s not cheap. Especially out of state and depending on where the juco is located.  

It’s a revenue generator for the school. It’s why they look the other way when a coach recruits 25 kids they have no intention of playing. 

14 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Skier. I’ve spent the last three years of my life on this. You’re wrong. 

What part? Does a college team need more than 24?

Do freshman walk-ons often earn a partial scholrship?

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

What part? Does a college team need more than 24?

Do freshman walk-ons often earn a partial scholrship?

All MWC programs are fully funded, meaning all programs use all 11.7 scholarships. Any player on scholarship receives a 25 percent scholarship. Most teams carry 32-34 players which is 15-17 pitchers and 15-17 inf/of/c/u. Pitching wins games.

Lets say you play at Reno High and are heading to California to play D1 baseball. You’re looking at a $50k per year price tag. You simply can’t go there unless you’re getting help. Or have both money and grades.

When I say pay for play, I am telling you many kids are pulling a lot of strings to make playing baseball in college pencil. Most kids can play after high school. It just depends on how much you want to spend and how far you’re willing to travel to play. 

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

It’s a great option if you’re kid wants to play baseball. It’s not cheap. Especially out of state and depending on where the juco is located.  

It’s a revenue generator for the school. It’s why they look the other way when a coach recruits 25 kids they have no intention of playing. 

I meant it’s a great option for kids that have a legitimate shot to get drafted, as it gives them another opportunity to get drafted before having to go the NCAA route. Obviously this is easier for kids that have in-state options; but don’t most of the states that produce a lot of talent have those? 

And again, how is it a revenue generator? I’m not being a smart ass, I am not aware of how they generate revenue. JCs don’t attract large crowds, so it’s not like they generate much revenue in the form of ticket sales and concessions. They still have to travel, which is not free. Ok they get 25 kids they don’t plan on playing.... so what? That’s a drop in the bucket in terms of the total enrollment of a JC. 

6 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I meant it’s a great option for kids that have a legitimate shot to get drafted, as it gives them another opportunity to get drafted before having to go the NCAA route. Obviously this is easier for kids that have in-state options; but don’t most of the states that produce a lot of talent have those? 

And again, how is it a revenue generator? I’m not being a smart ass, I am not aware of how they generate revenue. JCs don’t attract large crowds, so it’s not like they generate much revenue in the form of ticket sales and concessions. They still have to travel, which is not free. Ok they get 25 kids they don’t plan on playing.... so what? That’s a drop in the bucket in terms of the total enrollment of a JC. 

I’m just saying because of the baseball program a school like feather river in Quincy or even Lassen in Susanville has a roster of 50+ kids. Many of those kids are from northern Nevada. Those students are only there because of baseball. Most get zero money. I don’t think it’s by accident. Now don’t get me wrong. There’s nothing wrong with this per se as both parties are going in with eyes wide open.  Look up the cost of out of state tuition for a cal jc and start doing the math. 

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

Those students are only there because of baseball. Most get zero money. I don’t think it’s by accident. Now don’t get me wrong. There’s nothing wrong with this per se as both parties are going in with eyes wide open.  Look up the cost of out of state tuition for a cal jc and start doing the math. 

About $8000 per year.  About the same as in-state tuition to UNR.  So really not that terrible of an investment if the kid can transfer to a good school the last 2 years.

My bro played NAIA baseball at a private Christian school - he should have went the JC route.

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

I’m just saying because of the baseball program a school like feather river in Quincy or even Lassen in Susanville has a roster of 50+ kids. Many of those kids are from northern Nevada. Those students are only there because of baseball. Most get zero money. I don’t think it’s by accident. Now don’t get me wrong. There’s nothing wrong with this per se as both parties are going in with eyes wide open.  Look up the cost of out of state tuition for a cal jc and start doing the math. 

Won’t their Pel Grants still cover most of their tuition? And Lassen’s roster online only has 28 guys on it, Feather River 33. Not trying to be argumentative, I’m just not seeing a racket here.

34 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Won’t their Pel Grants still cover most of their tuition? And Lassen’s roster online only has 28 guys on it, Feather River 33. Not trying to be argumentative, I’m just not seeing a racket here.

No. That’s what they can report. It’s a racket. Like I’ve said, I’ve spent the last 10 years of my life in travel baseball and the last 3 attending tournaments all over the west coast. Obviously if you’re in state Cal then it’s a great situation. I think the best situation is DII baseball in Colorado. Solid schools and programs with decent facilities. But you gonna pay to play. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

No. That’s what they can report. It’s a racket. Like I’ve said, I’ve spent the last 10 years of my life in travel baseball and the last 3 attending tournaments all over the west coast. Obviously if you’re in state Cal then it’s a great situation. I think the best situation is DII baseball in Colorado. Solid schools and programs with decent facilities. But you gonna pay to play. 

I played tennis for several years at a D3 school back east and then played as a walk-on for a season at Colorado. I never considered what I was doing as "pay for play". I was going to go to school regardless and I loved playing competitive tennis. The school wasn't making any additional money from my exploits and they paid for my travel, lodging, and food when we traveled. I don't see how this is a "racket". Are you saying you, or your child, wouldn't have gone to school if it weren't to play ball?

55 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

About $8000 per year.  About the same as in-state tuition to UNR.  So really not that terrible of an investment if the kid can transfer to a good school the last 2 years.

My bro played NAIA baseball at a private Christian school - he should have went the JC route.

$8k per semester. Factor in the cost of living in Cal into that equation. But you’re not getting an education at a university — you’re at a juco w 2k students in some of these cases. And if you have a difficult major like engineering most of these schools can’t accommodate you, they just don’t offer the classes. If you want to be a police officer or a fire fighter it’s a decent option if you’re will to pay 5xs as much as you would getting that same degree at a Nevada juco.

I do think the private NAIA model can be good. There’s a really tiny program in Roseville that as it grows will be a decent option for northern Nevada kids. There’s Embry-Riddle in Prescott that has great academics. Some of those programs can offer way more academic money. 

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

I played tennis for several years at a D3 school back east and then played as a walk-on for a season at Colorado. I never considered what I was doing as "pay for play". I was going to go to school regardless and I loved playing competitive tennis. The school wasn't making any additional money from my exploits and they paid for my travel, lodging, and food when we traveled. I don't see how this is a "racket". Are you saying you, or your child, wouldn't have gone to school if it weren't to play ball?

What I am saying is that they offer 15-20 kids per year knowing that most of them are going to wash out. It’s a money maker for the school.

I was hoping my kid would play D3 somewhere or D2 in Colorado. He has great grades and we’ve said so I didn’t feel like I am throwing money at a chit degree in BFE to play baseball. Which is basically what it boils down to.

The COVID thingy threw a wrench into the process. Looks like civil engineering at Nevada for two years. And then Spain or Italy for Nevada study abroad program. 👍

Still hope for my younger one. He’s only a sophomore. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Eh, whatever. If their families “have no money” their pel grant will cover most of the expenses, so I’m just not seeing what I am supposed to be outraged at here. 

edit: non resident tuition for a California JUCO is $225 per unit (vs $46 per unit for in state). Meaning a roster stocked with 50 out of state kids brings in a whopping.... 107.4k extra in tuition then if all the kids were in state. When you factor in whatever they are paying the coaches and travel costs, I’m not seeing a big revenue generator here.

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Eh, whatever. If their families “have no money” their pel grant will cover most of the expenses, so I’m just not seeing what I am supposed to be outraged at here. 

edit: non resident tuition for a California JUCO is $225 per unit (vs $46 per unit for in state). Meaning a roster stocked with 50 out of state kids brings in a whopping.... 107.4k extra in tuition then if all the kids were in state. When you factor in whatever they are paying the coaches and travel costs, I’m not seeing a big revenue generator here.

That’s cause you have no skin the game. And I’m not sure where you’re getting cost for out of state tuition??? If you don’t see the absurdity of the situation you haven’t been mired in it. Now, I’m not blaming anyone but myself for spending money for my kid to position himself to play college baseball only to find out that COVID and common sense prevailed. But that’s a fools errand. Taking a step back and looking at it, it’s  part of what’s f’ed up about sports these days.

Another story for another day? Travel sports. The best business model on the planet. 

4 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

That’s cause you have no skin the game. And I’m not sure where you’re getting cost for out of state tuition??? If you don’t see the absurdity of the situation you haven’t been mired in it. Now, I’m not blaming anyone but myself for spending money for my kid to position himself to play college baseball only to find out that COVID and common sense prevailed. But that’s a fools errand. Taking a step back and looking at it, it’s  part of what’s f’ed up about sports these days.

Another story for another day? Travel sports. The best business model on the planet. 

I googled California JUCO out of state cost per unit, clicked on a link for Glendale CC and they list non resident tuition at $225 per unit. Last I heard tuition is the same at every California JUCO. There are other fees associated, but those don’t appear to be any different wether the student is a resident or not. 

As far as not being mired in it, you are right, I haven’t as a parent. But as a student I did play JUCO football, so I like to think I know a little more then your average joe blow off the street. 

On 7/2/2020 at 11:07 AM, soupslam1 said:

Tell the kids that lost their last chance to play the sport they love to lighten up. 

Transfer to LC if good enough  Best baseball program in North west.