Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

broncsrock

Boise State cuts Baseball and Swimming/Diving

45 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Another tragedy...

MLB dropped a bunch of pioneer league teams.  Teams like Ogden and Orem had great fan support.

https://wtop.com/mlb/2019/11/42-teams-targeted-to-be-dropped-from-current-minor-leagues/

Ogden doesn't have a lot going for it, but Raptor games were fun and cheap. We'd go a couple of times a year, just to hang out with friends.

The good ole days :(

LindquistFieldOgden.jpg

Just now, RSF said:

Which is why so many kids transfer each year.  No incentive to stay somewhere if you're unhappy or not playing if you are only getting a 25% scholarship.

And paying out of state tuition. Hell, I know gets who are taking DI WCC offers with great grades and it’s going to cost their parents $40k per year. The entire baseball model is such a scam. 

3 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Ogden doesn't have a lot going for it, but Raptor games were fun and cheap. We'd go a couple of times a year, just to hang out with friends.

LindquistFieldOgden.jpg

Did the LDS Church fund that too? The downtown redevelopment was nice. 

2 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

And paying out of state tuition. Hell, I know gets who are taking DI WCC offers with great grades and it’s going to cost their parents $40k per year. The entire baseball model is such a scam. 

Or a private school where the costs are 50+.  Roster can be a revolving door.  

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, brillio said:

Are they at the minimum for men’s teams now?   The ncaa will either have to change minimum sports rules or watch teams drop to D2.  

Yup.  Minimum is 6 team sports for men and 8 women (or 7 & 7).

Boise is at 6 men sports and 10 women.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Welp. Didn't see this coming. Bring back wrestling. Shouldn't of been cut for baseball in the first place.

If they hadn’t brought back baseball it would have just meant it would have been wrestling that would have been cut today. 

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

LindquistFieldOgden.jpg

Ogden isn't too bad, really....

I agree, Raptors games are a lot of fun.  Having a downtown stadium makes for a fun environment.  Plus it's actually affordable for families.  Too many sporting events are overpriced nowadays. 

Then, of course Farr's is close by!

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I think a mortuary company funded it, which is fitting now, I guess 

Lindquist?  I think they are like the Salt Lake Eccles family, only in Ogden. 

Basically donate and build half the nice stuff in the area.

46 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Ogden isn't too bad, really....

I agree, Raptors games are a lot of fun.  Having a downtown stadium makes for a fun environment.  Plus it's actually affordable for families.  Too many sporting events are overpriced nowadays. 

Then, of course Farr's is close by!

The Raptors and Aggies. The hometown teams. 

54 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

I'll take the flip side on this.  Boise had a baseball team?  Who woudda knew.

However, total props to mens pool junks.  Who does that?

What’s a man pool junk 

6 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Welp. Didn't see this coming. Bring back wrestling. Shouldn't of been cut for baseball in the first place.

They won't be bringing it back. Sounds like Baseball and swimming may not be the only programs getting the boot.