Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

It’s V Shaped

1 minute ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Lost 20 million and unemployment still above 11%. Still a long ways to go.

Way better than the last recovery  that was a very wide U shaped  that bounced along the bottom for 7 years. 

6 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Way better than the last recovery  that was a very wide U shaped  that bounced along the bottom for 7 years. 

Depends on your geography 

Especially if your area is made up of a lot of FIRE jobs (finance, insurnace and real estate) and other late cycle bloomers such as in the sunbelt and secondary markets. 

San Francisco Bay Area was recovering early.

6 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

what? it didn't "bounce along the bottom" at all. it was a swoosh recovery. I'm guessing this one will be too. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

29 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

You don't think you're a little premature on this? First, this is a far different animal than the last recession. Comparing the two is a fool's errand. Second, the job numbers released today, while good news, don't show the effects of the recent spike. Closures in California, Texas, and Arizona are just beginning to trickle into the data. In fact, buried in the good news was the weekly jobs report that showed 1.4 million new unemployment filings last week. Also, those reporting permanent job losses also ticked up, "rising by 588,000 to 2.883 million, the highest level in more than six years." That is not a good sign for the coming weeks.  There are positive signs. But there are some ominous ones as well. The bottom line is that the virus is driving the economy now.

And finally, government intervention has been incredibly helpful and the single most important reason why we haven't fallen off a cliff. And while I was worried that we were going to be done with that intervention at the end of July, causing all sorts of problems, it appears that another round of stimulus is in the cards. So that has me hopeful. (It also makes me wonder if both parties had accepted the need for government intervention in 2009, rather than having one go all in on austerity, that perhaps "bouncing along the bottom," which is debatable in the first place, was unnecessary.)

36 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Bounced along bottom for 7 years huh?  Take a look at graphs for unemployment, stock market for last 15 years and basically draw a line on the 8 years of Obama.  Pretty simple.  We've done this many times on this forum so i am not going to bother.    

48 minutes ago, happycamper said:

what? it didn't "bounce along the bottom" at all. it was a swoosh recovery. I'm guessing this one will be too. 

The last two months jobs reports have been outstanding. Best in the history of our economy. Its a definite V shaped recovery. I know you don't like good news for the Orange man, but this is good news for all of us and should be celebrated. 

59 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

We're still at the bottom...unemployment rate (11.1%) is still higher than any time in the last 75 years before Covid.

image.png.099ea6b3f81af561c2f32ff722955c5d.png

Just now, bornontheblue said:

The last two months jobs reports have been outstanding. Best in the history of our economy. Its a definite V shaped recovery. I know you don't like good news for the Orange man, but this is good news for all of us and should be celebrated. 

Utah Touchdown Celebration Fail Turns Into 100-Yard TD For Oregon ...

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

Also, the recovery was broad based through the service and manufacturing sector. Most notably there were massive job gains on the lower end for those with only a high school diploma or less. It is definitely V shaped. 

3 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

You realize they look that good because of the crash in March right?  Trend lines my friend.  Do a plot of last 15 years and take your pick - DOW,  unemployment, etc...  Otherwise you wouldn't even realize we are down 10% on DOW since January.

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

Cheerleading the economy down. You are an ass because you don't want the orange man to get credit. 

Are you giving him credit for the collapse in March and April?  Makes about as much sense.  Also, I wouldn't recommend day trading.  You might get too excited at today's headlines and lose your shirt tomorrow.

Just now, bornontheblue said:

Cheerleading the economy down. You are an ass because you don't want the orange man to get credit. 

jesus christ you're dumber than the obama fanboys

5 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

We're still at the bottom...unemployment rate (11.1%) is still higher than any time in the last 75 years before Covid.

image.png.099ea6b3f81af561c2f32ff722955c5d.png

It took Obama his whole presidency to recover from the recession he inherited, and he never quite got there.  We will be back in economic expansion by the end of the 3rd quarter of 2020. That is the trend line I look at. 

2 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

You’re the only one to bring the orange man up so far. TDS in it’s truest form, I’m afraid. But with so much confidence, I think you should put your money where your mouth is and pour some money into the markets. I recommend a portfolio heavy on airlines and cruise lines. 

This thread isnt about what I thought it was going to be about...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.