Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

Boomer Esiason: Covid Herd Immunity and SEC Teams

If this has been posted before, my apologies, and admins, merge if needed, but this is very interesting, and quite possible, what's going on...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/boomer-esiason-are-sec-teams-clemson-seeking-covid-19-herd-immunity-before-cfb-season/ar-BB167EsY

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

This is what a Maryland education gets you.  What an idiot.  Many ramifications of getting coved.  Do you want to be the kid on your team that has maybe lifetime I’ll effects from getting it?   Stupid things for sports

What does his education have to do with it?  He didn't say it was a good idea, he said he wouldn't put it past them.

It's the SEC.  Highly unlikely this is indeed a strategy, but it's not unbelievable that it's considered an acceptable side effect of necessary off season conditioning by some.  In fact their is some merit in the school of thought that they are not going to be able to prevent these kids from catching the virus, one way or the other, so just go about your business and let the chips fall.

I know of at least two cases where people have gotten it twice, one in the USA the other in S. Korea, in a 4 month period.  If so, that means the antibodies specific to the Coronavirus may not be long lasting and herd immunity would be short term at best.  I believe China also stated that many seem to get it again..  

20 minutes ago, madeinhawaii said:

I know of at least two cases where people have gotten it twice, one in the USA the other in S. Korea, in a 4 month period.  If so, that means the antibodies specific to the Coronavirus may not be long lasting and herd immunity would be short term at best.  I believe China also stated that many seem to get it again..  

A very minimal number.  What are the odds those are inconsistencies with the accuracy of the testing?

And now there’s this... permanent  lung damage? Herd Immunity game changer if true!

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/covid-19-damages-lungs-of-asymptomatic-and-most-severe-patients-alike-scientists-believe

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 7/2/2020 at 6:37 PM, BSC said:

This is what a Maryland education gets you.  What an idiot.  Many ramifications of getting coved.  Do you want to be the kid on your team that has maybe lifetime I’ll effects from getting it?   Stupid things for sports

Sure. We need to stop sports because there are too many athletes that get permanent brain damage or permanently disabled.

Perhaps the weirdest thing to come out of this nonsense is how many people refuse to accept the OBJECTIVE in favor of reports that confirm their fears.

OBJECTIVELY-  For normal, healthy people under the age of 65, COVID-19 is a non-issue.  This is what all of the statistics from all over the world verify.  Everything else is made up bullshit

OBJECTIVELY-  For normal, healthy people OVER 65, COVID-19  is slightly more problematic but by no means represents some sort of death sentence or even the possibility of having long term effects.  Everything else is bullshit.

230,000 people die every month, month after month, year after year in the  United States.  That means that since we started this counting nonsense, roughly 1.25 million Americans have passed away. if you were to plot the age curve for all deaths in a similar fashion as we do for COVID, they would look nearly identical, particularly if you only plot "natural" causes.

The virus is the virus.  It will run its course. Some people will die. Most, the VAST majority will not.   All the human  intervention in the world will not change this.  Do what you can to protect those we now KNOW are vulnerable and let the rest of us get on with our lives. Wear a mask if it makes you feel better.

In fact, just found this.  Blue line represents median death age in the US.  This curve shape should look very familiar. Median death age = 77

image.png.a4165db8170595c33237a3b15a4530bf.png

San Diego Death curve COVID-19

image.png.7f24fc22079dc294ec9ed55051d671b2.png

Even median death age lines up.

image.png.2beaca72b68b3c9f44941589c20bd233.png

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

8 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Perhaps the weirdest thing to come out of this nonsense is how many people refuse to accept the OBJECTIVE in favor of reports that confirm their fears.

OBJECTIVELY-  For normal, healthy people under the age of 65, COVID-19 is a non-issue.  This is what all of the statistics from all over the world verify.  Everything else is made up bullshit

This is "objectively" wrong.

My advice to anyone who wants to know how much risk is posed to them personally by COVID-19 is to go to the website below, put in their own data and find out the results.  The Sanford Health calculator is based on the latest statistical data on how the disease impacts people of all ages and health conditions.

https://go2.profileplan.com/covid-calc/

I did this and I can tell you that as a healthy person under the age of 65 the results did not convince me that COVID-19 is a "non-issue."  According to the calculator my odds of dying if I contract the disease are only 1 in 200, but my odds of being hospitalized are 1 in 15 and my odds of being admitted to the ICU are 1 in 40.  None of those odds give me comfort that I should just go out and get on with my life and feel comfortable with everyone else doing the same.

Moreover "what all of the statistics from all over the world verify" is that the U.S. is doing a far poorer job of controlling the pandemic than any other first-world country on the planet.  Our infection rates compared to the E.U., Japan, Korea, and elsewhere are ridiculous, and the main reason is that too many Americans can't let go of the stubborn notion that someone should only have wear a mask "if it makes them feel better".

Someday historians will look back on this era and shake their heads in wonder at our collective insanity. 

11 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

This is "objectively" wrong.

My advice to anyone who wants to know how much risk is posed to them personally by COVID-19 is to go to the website below, put in their own data and find out the results.  The Sanford Health calculator is based on the latest statistical data on how the disease impacts people of all ages and health conditions.

https://go2.profileplan.com/covid-calc/

I did this and I can tell you that as a healthy person under the age of 65 the results did not convince me that COVID-19 is a "non-issue."  According to the calculator my odds of dying if I contract the disease are only 1 in 200, but my odds of being hospitalized are 1 in 15 and my odds of being admitted to the ICU are 1 in 40.  None of those odds give me comfort that I should just go out and get on with my life and feel comfortable with everyone else doing the same.

Moreover "what all of the statistics from all over the world verify" is that the U.S. is doing a far poorer job of controlling the pandemic than any other first-world country on the planet.  Our infection rates compared to the E.U., Japan, Korea, and elsewhere are ridiculous, and the main reason is that too many Americans can't let go of the stubborn notion that someone should only have wear a mask "if it makes them feel better".

Someday historians will look back on this era and shake their heads in wonder at our collective insanity. 

LOL....just.....LOL

These folks a pimping "Healthy Lifestyle" plans, which I'm sure are reasonably priced and in NO WAY are they trying to convince you with their "calculator" that you too should invest in  a  reasonably priced "Healthy Lifestyle" plan, customized to you to make sure you are ready to fight off dat mean ol' COVID.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

230,000 people die every month, month after month, year after year in the  United States.  That means that since we started this counting nonsense, roughly 1.25 million Americans have passed away. if you were to plot the age curve for all deaths in a similar fashion as we do for COVID, they would look nearly identical, particularly if you only plot "natural" causes.

Are you talking about Excess Mortality?  We are tracking those numbers ( as well as we can track it) and the last numbers I saw, the death rate was about 28% higher than what it would normally be expected to be at this time.

In any case, I think students (and coaches) want to win at all costs, and they feel invincible so I totally can see a group of the team getting together and deciding to give themselves herd immunity thinking it will be an advantage during the regular season.   From a community standpoint, I know why herd immunity won't work quite the way people think it will (mainly because the demographics of the herd is always changing), but in a really short term scenario (like just getting through the football season)--it might work for the students that don't die or get long term repercussions.