Sign in to follow this  
AztecSU

AAC Moves Headquarters to Las Colinas Texas

On 7/2/2020 at 8:57 PM, UofMTigers said:

and thanks for the 17 million...we appreciate it!

as for the location I was all for throwing UConn a bone and putting the AAC HQ in Hartford which is like 35 mins from our ESPN overlord's HQ

if not there then Dallas, next to the Big XII HQ and the CFP HQ makes sense as SMU is there.

HQ of AAC in same building as CFP HQ may be Aresco's attempt to get more favorable deal for said conference in next round. He worked with ESPN and I think one or two other TV networks in the past. I don't think it will work but would not be surprised if he tried it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So what exactly do AAC fans think is the endgame here? The P5 life raft isn’t coming, so is it just a matter of hoping the Big 12 falls apart so some of the western schools can bail and form a new conference with the Big 12 leftovers? 

What makes you so sure the Big 12 is gonna crumble and not the PAC-12?

If the SEC expands, I can guarantee you they are taking Virginia Tech. There were rumors when I lived in Knoxville about them eyeballing NC State before they went with Missouri. I think the Oklahoma schools would have to be a group deal. So some of those AAC schools have a point.

But some schools in the PAC-12 know they are losing viewers and money. They may try and leave  first. I know USC wants B1G type of money. They won't get it in the PAC-12.

30 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

If the SEC expands, I can guarantee you they are taking Virginia Tech. There were rumors when I lived in Knoxville about them eyeballing NC State before they went with Missouri. I Ithink the Oklahoma schools would have to be a group deal. So some of those AAC schools have a point.

But some schools in the PAC-12 know they are losing viewers and money. They may try and leave  first. I know USC wants B1G type of money. They won't get it in the PAC-12.

Well.... that’s an easy question. If the Pac 12 “crumbles” the AAC wouldn’t be the beneficiaries, the top schools of the MWC and BYU would be the ones joining with the Pac-12 leftovers to form a new western conference. The Big 12 collapsing would clearly be preferable to the AAC, which is why that would be the preferred “endgame”. 

50 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

If the SEC expands, I can guarantee you they are taking Virginia Tech. There were rumors when I lived in Knoxville about them eyeballing NC State before they went with Missouri. I Ithink the Oklahoma schools would have to be a group deal. So some of those AAC schools have a point.

VT not available until 2036.  Nor is anybody else in the ACC.

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Well.... that’s an easy question. If the Pac 12 “crumbles” the AAC wouldn’t be the beneficiaries, the top schools of the MWC and BYU would be the ones joining with the Pac-12 leftovers to form a new western conference. The Big 12 collapsing would clearly be preferable to the AAC, which is why that would be the preferred “endgame”. 

I think it will be very hard for BYU to get into the Pac-12 given the religious nature of the school, it is not right imho, but it is true.

1 minute ago, ole blu dude said:

I think it will be very hard for BYU to get into the Pac-12 given the religious nature of the school, it is not right imho, but it is true.

I think if the Pac-12 were to “collapse” then the 6-8 schools left just wouldn’t be in a position to thumb their noses up at the biggest fish in the western U.S. for any reason. 

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I think if the Pac-12 were to “collapse” then the 6-8 schools left just wouldn’t be in a position to thumb their noses up at the biggest fish in the western U.S. for any reason. 

I agree as well. If 6-8 schools are left they are gonna take the top 4-6 based off TV draws, recent success, and location. BYU is a given. SDSU is a given. After that I think they look at Boise State, Colorado State, SMU, Houston, UNLV, and Air Force.

But I think Covid has taught teams to keep conference at tight as possible. So The PAC-12 and MWC are probably what they are. The Big 12 is the conference that really needs blown up.

Texas and Kansas to the Big 12

West Virginia and Oklahoma to the SEC

TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, and BYU to the MWC.

Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State to the American.

Done. Move the MWC and American to join the other Power Conferences, move the playoff to eight teams and we are good. That's what should happen anyway...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Ibanez said:

TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, and BYU to the MWC.

Clearly, you don't understand Texas politics.  

The relo to DFW is a power move.  A new Texas epicenter of AAC far, far, far away from New England. No one needs to be physically next door to ESPN et al to get things done.  It's all done by markets, team branding and ratings. 

The Power 5 all have GOR locked-up matters through their signed-over honker marketing rights to termination with their broadcast partners. That will not change at all and it shouldn't. 

AAC has no GOR.  Neither does MWC. 

We're talking a stunning amount of bank for each unit in the Power 5 spread across many platforms. 

When the formal Separation comes in a few short years, We will Unify and create the Power 6 with coast to coast relative market share.  Eyes on San Diego State, Boise, BYU, either/both of AFA/Colorado State.

5 hours ago, RamDFW said:

Clearly, you don't understand Texas politics.  

I don't understand Texas period. But fill me in. (I'd argue American politics are a joke but that is a bag I don't wanna open.)

7 hours ago, Coog kev said:

When the formal Separation comes in a few short years, We will Unify and create the Power 6 with coast to coast relative market share.  Eyes on San Diego State, Boise, BYU, either/both of AFA/Colorado State.

There is no way the aac is taking that many schools unless they lose several schools to expansion/relegation.  They aren’t going over 12 unless if it means a new contract.  That contract isn’t coming any time soon.  The only way they go west is if they (stupidly) keep Tulsa and lose Cincy and UCF.  If they go west SDSU and BYU are the first two choices with ARMY next, even though they aren’t west.  If they say no, then you get into the second tier choices.  If ARMY is on board then Boise can’t happen because they will not take another fb only member and Boise is a fb only proposition.  

I would personally love to drop Tulsa and add Boise fb only and pickup Dayton or VCU for the opened basketball spot.  Only  if Tulsa is gone though.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

I don't understand Texas period. But fill me in. (I'd argue American politics are a joke but that is a bag I don't wanna open.)

Texas and Florida politics are elitist geared towards land grant schools.  If you aren’t attached to them then you aren’t getting picked up for the ride.

Texas and football politics are rife with power backers.  It's what we do in Texas (except for Rice).  UH is definitely elevating one way or another.  SMU may come along just for its triple popped collar legacy. 

image.jpeg.b5e8b82295c6d411186005b1fa9ee2e0.jpeg    

To boot, SMU is playing politics correctly these days.  They now are Dallas regarding sports junks.  Much to the surprise of UT-Dallas, UT-Arlington and probably not TCU.

image.jpeg.bc610993fabf82d185b353ef9cc57ede.jpeg      image.jpeg.4cc0b9682beb3f6b2c040e6abac5be90.jpeg   image.jpeg.30dd333dd4bde98d7a391d2343dc947b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

doesn't ole' W Bush regularly attend basketball/football games? I believe the play at Gerald Ford stadium, right?

On 7/5/2020 at 2:23 PM, RSF said:

VT not available until 2036.  Nor is anybody else in the ACC.

Both of the conferences are under contract with ESPN. So the SEC will get what they want. In case you haven't noticed, the SEC and B1G own college sports. The Big 12 is a G5 conference if they lose Texas or OU. After Clemson and Florida State, the ACC looks a tad week. Take away UCS, Oregon, UCLA, and Washington and the PAC-12 is nothing special. Only the SEC and B1G have half their conference on the top 25 ever year.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

There is no way the aac is taking that many schools unless they lose several schools to expansion/relegation.  They aren’t going over 12 unless if it means a new contract.  That contract isn’t coming any time soon.  The only way they go west is if they (stupidly) keep Tulsa and lose Cincy and UCF.  If they go west SDSU and BYU are the first two choices with ARMY next, even though they aren’t west.  If they say no, then you get into the second tier choices.  If ARMY is on board then Boise can’t happen because they will not take another fb only member and Boise is a fb only proposition.  

I would personally love to drop Tulsa and add Boise fb only and pickup Dayton or VCU for the opened basketball spot.  Only  if Tulsa is gone though.

I noticed Tulsa also picks up a lot of hate from a few UCF fans on the AAC board when I was over there. I didn't understand it, but then a Tulsa fan pointed out they have more AAC conference championships than UCF, have never lost to UCF football in Tulsa, have an 8-3 record against them in football overall, and apparently a winning record against UCF in every sport. 

Suddenly it all became clear :rotflmfao:

I don't think they're getting dropped so you might want to figure out how to beat them. 

1 hour ago, JoeBlo said:

I noticed Tulsa also picks up a lot of hate from a few UCF fans on the AAC board when I was over there. I didn't understand it, but then a Tulsa fan pointed out they have more AAC conference championships than UCF, have never lost to UCF football in Tulsa, have an 8-3 record against them in football overall, and apparently a winning record against UCF in every sport. 

Suddenly it all became clear :rotflmfao:

I don't think they're getting dropped so you might want to figure out how to beat them. 

Yes we’ve had trouble beating them in Tulsa in football.  They’ve won nothing in aac so  your other statements are false though.  That’s irrelevant to the conversation.  Their lack of dedication to improving their program is the sole reason why they should be booted.  They don’t even use the athletic revenue to reinvest, it all goes to the school, which doesn’t need it.  They are also on an island, a barren dead island that serves no purpose.  They are a dredge in the big three sports and only manage to play spoiler once every couple years; there’s not even an adequate comparison in the MWC to them.

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Yes we’ve had trouble beating them in Tulsa in football.  They’ve won nothing in aac so  your other statements are false though.  That’s irrelevant to the conversation.  Their lack of dedication to improving their program is the sole reason why they should be booted.  They don’t even use the athletic revenue to reinvest, it all goes to the school, which doesn’t need it.  They are also on an island, a barren dead island that serves no purpose.  They are a dredge in the big three sports and only manage to play spoiler once every couple years; there’s not even an adequate comparison in the MWC to them.

Hmmm

Total AAC conference championships since Tulsa joined in 2014-2015:

Houston 21

Tulsa 18

UCF 16

UConn 12

USF 11

SMU 11

Cincinnati 10

ECU 6

Memphis 4

Temple 1

Tulane 1

Tulsa has a conference championship in basketball this past season and is like 3rd in basketball conference wins. 

They have performed better or equal to UConn who left, ECU, and Tulane in football with a couple bowls and a ten win season. They've been better than those schools in basketball (excluding UConn's NC year when Tulsa wasn't part of the conference) as well. In fact they are probably the fourth or fifth best team in the conference since Memphis hasn't been to the dance in a while. I would guess it goes Cincinnati, Houston then a toss up with SMU/Tulsa/Temple who all have a championship and some NCAA games. Wichita is a good program but have only been in conference for a few seasons so not sure where they would go.

Apparently they beat you for championships not so long ago in football. . .You know google exists right?

54 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

Hmmm

Total AAC conference championships since Tulsa joined in 2014-2015:

Houston 21

Tulsa 18

UCF 16

UConn 12

USF 11

SMU 11

Cincinnati 10

ECU 6

Memphis 4

Temple 1

Tulane 1

Tulsa has a conference championship in basketball this past season and is like 3rd in basketball conference wins. 

They have performed better or equal to UConn who left, ECU, and Tulane in football with a couple bowls and a ten win season. They've been better than those schools in basketball (excluding UConn's NC year when Tulsa wasn't part of the conference) as well. In fact they are probably the fourth or fifth best team in the conference since Memphis hasn't been to the dance in a while. I would guess it goes Cincinnati, Houston then a toss up with SMU/Tulsa/Temple who all have a championship and some NCAA games. Wichita is a good program but have only been in conference for a few seasons so not sure where they would go.

Apparently they beat you for championships not so long ago in football. . .You know google exists right?

They last came first in conference for basketball in 2013-14.  They have one other championship, in women’s tennis.  Let’s call them middle of the pack performers but they should be better considering their resources.  They are too content and that’s a problem.  They have no following and don’t bring in any viewership relative to other aac teams.  There’s really no discussion whose at the bottom except maybe Tulane to some.  But they’re on a better trajectory and have more interest, investment, and culture.  ECU is fine.

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

They last came first in conference for basketball in 2013-14.  They have one other championship, in women’s tennis.  Let’s call them middle of the pack performers but they should be better considering their resources.  They are too content and that’s a problem.  They have no following and don’t bring in any viewership relative to other aac teams.  There’s really no discussion whose at the bottom except maybe Tulane to some.  But they’re on a better trajectory and have more interest, investment, and culture.  ECU is fine.

Ahhh what?

I don't understand that they have one other championship in women's tennis?

Anyway, wasn't there a Tulsa poster here a while back who put up viewership numbers? Tulsa was like 3 of the top 10 games or something. I can't be bothered to google it after already proving you full of chit.

Like I said it doesn't seem like they are getting dropped. UCF should probably spend more time trying to beat them, than pretend fantasies about them not having to compete with, apparently the smallest school in FBS?