Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NevadaFan

School choice

6 hours ago, alum93 said:

That's fine.  You are part of society and you pay taxes.  If you pay taxes, which support the public school system,  and want to send your kid to a private school have at it.  I have no problem with that.  But why use taxes to support private schools?  That's what i am getting out of the ruling.

Because if you don’t school choice is only available to the well off. If your kid is struggling at the public school or getting bullied, as was happening in Ms. Espinoza’s case, you’d be shit out of luck otherwise and so would your kids. It’s not state government’s deciding which schools to award money, its the parents that do.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

9 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

I get why the left does this but never agreed with it. School choice is a hot topic on many fronts in most states. This is a good thing, IMO.

https://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-makes-religious-school-142202394.html?soc_src=newsroom&soc_trk=com.apple.UIKit.activity.Mail&.tsrc=newsroom

Am I reading this right?  It's about scholarships, not tuition for every student at the religious schools.  

1 minute ago, aztech said:

Am I reading this right?  It's about scholarships, not tuition for every student at the religious schools.  

Yes.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Because if you don’t school choice is only available to the well off. If your kid is struggling at the public school or getting bullied, as was happening in Ms. Espinoza’s case, you’d be shit out of luck otherwise and so would your kids. It’s not state government’s deciding which schools to award money, its the parents that do.

Yep.  Our school district's version of distance/hybrid learning sucks balls, so we are planning on having our two oldest go to private school next year.  But we make north of 250k a year, so we have that option, working class dont.

We dont have that option for our youngest, who is special ed, but thats a separate issue.

If you think a non-profit is being mismanaged, well, stop donating to them. 

If the priests live in, by far, the biggest and fanciest house in the development, like they did in the neighborhood I grew up in, I suppose the good parishioners of St. Christopher's could have taken their salvation dollars elsewhere if they didn't like it. 

12 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I don’t have time to get into it right now, but of course there are plenty of areas that need to be fixed in the school choice, school voucher arena. When done properly, I totally support it. 

I was just tagging to show you the thread where the decision was discussed, if you were looking for that sort of thing.