Jump to content
smltwnrckr

John Roberts sides with liberals on Supreme Court to block controversial Louisiana abortion law

Recommended Posts

Conservatives... How pissed are all of you right now? I mean, all that work and not much to show for it. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Chief Justice John Roberts sided with the liberal justices on the Supreme Court on Monday to block a controversial Louisiana abortion law that critics said would have closed nearly every clinic in the state.

The 5-4 ruling is a win for supporters of abortion rights who argued that the law was not medically necessary and amounted to a veiled attempt to restrict abortion. The law barred doctors from performing the procedure unless they had admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.

The majority opinion was penned by Justice Stephen Breyer, who wrote that the majority "consequently hold that the Louisiana statute is unconstitutional."

Breyer added later: "The evidence also shows that opposition to abortion played a significant role in some hospitals' decisions to deny admitting privileges."

The ruling continues a trend of Roberts siding with liberals in major cases. He previously has upheld the program allowing undocumented immigrants who came into the US as children to remain and sided with opinion that extended anti-discrimination protections to LGBTQ workers.

Four years ago, when Justice Anthony Kennedy was still on the bench, the court struck down a similar law out of Texas.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/politics/abortion-louisiana-law-blocked-supreme-court/index.html

 

No shocker that Trump appointees Gorsuch and Kegstand tried to uphold the law. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, retrofade said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/politics/abortion-louisiana-law-blocked-supreme-court/index.html

 

No shocker that Trump appointees Gorsuch and Kegstand tried to uphold the law. 

@mugtang ... can you put my crappier version of this thread in this one?

I was wondering what Gorsuch would do here. The fact that they opted not to hear the challenges on local gun restrictions made me think they would uphold this law. But I wasnt expecting Roberts to pull the old switcheroo.

Whoever wins in 2020 will pick RBG's successor, almost certainly. That will decide whether abortion rights stick around for another generation or not. I wonder how much it will become an election issue, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really starting to dislike Roberts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bob said:

I'm really starting to dislike Roberts

You dislike anyone who doesn't want to institute the far right Christianity version of sharia law. 

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, retrofade said:

You dislike anyone who doesn't want to institute the far right Christianity version of sharia law. 

Or I just don't want unborn babies murdered :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Conservatives... How pissed are all of you right now? I mean, all that work and not much to show for it. 

So, do you believe the Supreme Court should be partisan? I don’t so I have no animosity towards Roberts. I may not agree with his decision, but I respect he looked at it from a constitutional view point and was not partisan. 

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

So, do you believe the Supreme Court should be partisan? I don’t so I have no animosity towards Roberts. I may not agree with his decision, but I respect he looked at it from a constitutional view point and was not partisan. 

When you expressed concern over black babies, and ONLY black babies, being aborted I asked if you were anti abortion and you said no; so why do you disagree with the decision? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe abortions are murder, other than in a few exceptional circumstances. I’m also a pragmatist that understands abortions are going to occur whether legal or not. Better done in a clinic or hospital situation than a back alley. Abortions as a form of birth control are wrong.

There are thousands of couples that want to adopt that wait years to adopt a child. I’d prefer babies that aren’t wanted be given to those that do want them and will raise them in a loving environment. My wife and I have two adopted children because their birth mothers chose to give them life instead of aborting them. 

  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I believe abortions are murder, other than in a few exceptional circumstances. I’m also a pragmatist that understands abortions are going to occur whether legal or not. Better done in a clinic or hospital situation than a back alley. Abortions as a form of birth control are wrong.

There are thousands of couples that want to adopt that wait years to adopt a child. I’d prefer babies that aren’t wanted be given to those that do want them and will raise them in a loving environment. My wife and I have two adopted children because their birth mothers chose to give them life instead of aborting them. 

Ah, ok. Anti abortion. Don’t know why you avoided the question last time, but thanks for clearing it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, retrofade said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/politics/abortion-louisiana-law-blocked-supreme-court/index.html

 

No shocker that Trump appointees Gorsuch and Kegstand tried to uphold the law. 

:lol: 

 

It's still hilarious how much he lied in that hearing. Yes, everyone's heard of Devil's Triangle... the drinking game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bob said:

Or I just don't want unborn babies murdered :shrug:

I talked to my wife about this and we’re both pretty liberal.  To us, there should be limits to abortion like a third trimester abortion (should’ve made up mind earlier).  That said, reason why we’re more similar than we think if you ask the right questions.  

Avoid words like never and always.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This means Louisiana will still produce a steady supply of stem cells to keep Biden alive for two terms and RBG until 2021
family guy cockroach GIF

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

So, do you believe the Supreme Court should be partisan? I don’t so I have no animosity towards Roberts. I may not agree with his decision, but I respect he looked at it from a constitutional view point and was not partisan. 

That’s the thing though, he didn’t say it was unconstitutional. He said it was constitutional in a previous ruling, but because he was on the losing end on that one, he opted to go with stare decisis. Roberts mostly cares about what rocks the boat the least, constitutional questions come second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted my judges to call balls and strikes to the best of their abilities. Period. Anyone that wants team and shit judges is against truth, justice and the American way and can F right off.

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I believe abortions are murder, other than in a few exceptional circumstances. I’m also a pragmatist that understands abortions are going to occur whether legal or not. Better done in a clinic or hospital situation than a back alley. Abortions as a form of birth control are wrong.

There are thousands of couples that want to adopt that wait years to adopt a child. I’d prefer babies that aren’t wanted be given to those that do want them and will raise them in a loving environment. My wife and I have two adopted children because their birth mothers chose to give them life instead of aborting them. 

Well spoken.

Pretty much sums up my views on the subject as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roberts did not switch sides. He ruled based on precedence from the previous and similiar Texas case. Which he was in the minority on.

Saw a report on the PBS News hour where a top staffer from a Louisiana Heallth Clinic said the if the Law was upheld, that would have left one qualified and hospital licensed Doctor in the entire State to perform abortions.

I can easily see the next step in that process being all private hospitals refusing to have abortions performed in their facilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Roberts did not switch sides. He ruled based on precedence from the previous and similiar Texas case. Which he was in the minority on.

Saw a report on the PBS News hour where a top staffer from a Louisiana Heallth Clinic said the if the Law was upheld, that would have left one qualified and hospital licensed Doctor in the entire State to perform abortions.

I can easily see the next step in that process being all private hospitals refusing to have abortions performed in their facilities.

Of course, that's the point of those laws. They're not about health or safety they're about banning abortions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×