Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smltwnrckr

John Roberts sides with liberals on Supreme Court to block controversial Louisiana abortion law

Conservatives... How pissed are all of you right now? I mean, all that work and not much to show for it. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Chief Justice John Roberts sided with the liberal justices on the Supreme Court on Monday to block a controversial Louisiana abortion law that critics said would have closed nearly every clinic in the state.

The 5-4 ruling is a win for supporters of abortion rights who argued that the law was not medically necessary and amounted to a veiled attempt to restrict abortion. The law barred doctors from performing the procedure unless they had admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.

The majority opinion was penned by Justice Stephen Breyer, who wrote that the majority "consequently hold that the Louisiana statute is unconstitutional."

Breyer added later: "The evidence also shows that opposition to abortion played a significant role in some hospitals' decisions to deny admitting privileges."

The ruling continues a trend of Roberts siding with liberals in major cases. He previously has upheld the program allowing undocumented immigrants who came into the US as children to remain and sided with opinion that extended anti-discrimination protections to LGBTQ workers.

Four years ago, when Justice Anthony Kennedy was still on the bench, the court struck down a similar law out of Texas.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/politics/abortion-louisiana-law-blocked-supreme-court/index.html

No shocker that Trump appointees Gorsuch and Kegstand tried to uphold the law. 

11 minutes ago, retrofade said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/politics/abortion-louisiana-law-blocked-supreme-court/index.html

@mugtang ... can you put my crappier version of this thread in this one?

I was wondering what Gorsuch would do here. The fact that they opted not to hear the challenges on local gun restrictions made me think they would uphold this law. But I wasnt expecting Roberts to pull the old switcheroo.

Whoever wins in 2020 will pick RBG's successor, almost certainly. That will decide whether abortion rights stick around for another generation or not. I wonder how much it will become an election issue, though.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Conservatives... How pissed are all of you right now? I mean, all that work and not much to show for it. 

So, do you believe the Supreme Court should be partisan? I don’t so I have no animosity towards Roberts. I may not agree with his decision, but I respect he looked at it from a constitutional view point and was not partisan. 

23 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

So, do you believe the Supreme Court should be partisan? I don’t so I have no animosity towards Roberts. I may not agree with his decision, but I respect he looked at it from a constitutional view point and was not partisan. 

When you expressed concern over black babies, and ONLY black babies, being aborted I asked if you were anti abortion and you said no; so why do you disagree with the decision? 

I believe abortions are murder, other than in a few exceptional circumstances. I’m also a pragmatist that understands abortions are going to occur whether legal or not. Better done in a clinic or hospital situation than a back alley. Abortions as a form of birth control are wrong.

There are thousands of couples that want to adopt that wait years to adopt a child. I’d prefer babies that aren’t wanted be given to those that do want them and will raise them in a loving environment. My wife and I have two adopted children because their birth mothers chose to give them life instead of aborting them. 

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I believe abortions are murder, other than in a few exceptional circumstances. I’m also a pragmatist that understands abortions are going to occur whether legal or not. Better done in a clinic or hospital situation than a back alley. Abortions as a form of birth control are wrong.

There are thousands of couples that want to adopt that wait years to adopt a child. I’d prefer babies that aren’t wanted be given to those that do want them and will raise them in a loving environment. My wife and I have two adopted children because their birth mothers chose to give them life instead of aborting them. 

Ah, ok. Anti abortion. Don’t know why you avoided the question last time, but thanks for clearing it up.

3 hours ago, retrofade said:

:lol: 

It's still hilarious how much he lied in that hearing. Yes, everyone's heard of Devil's Triangle... the drinking game. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Or I just don't want unborn babies murdered :shrug:

I talked to my wife about this and we’re both pretty liberal.  To us, there should be limits to abortion like a third trimester abortion (should’ve made up mind earlier).  That said, reason why we’re more similar than we think if you ask the right questions.  

Avoid words like never and always.

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

That’s the thing though, he didn’t say it was unconstitutional. He said it was constitutional in a previous ruling, but because he was on the losing end on that one, he opted to go with stare decisis. Roberts mostly cares about what rocks the boat the least, constitutional questions come second.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I wanted my judges to call balls and strikes to the best of their abilities. Period. Anyone that wants team and shit judges is against truth, justice and the American way and can F right off.

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Well spoken.

Pretty much sums up my views on the subject as well.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Roberts did not switch sides. He ruled based on precedence from the previous and similiar Texas case. Which he was in the minority on.

Saw a report on the PBS News hour where a top staffer from a Louisiana Heallth Clinic said the if the Law was upheld, that would have left one qualified and hospital licensed Doctor in the entire State to perform abortions.

I can easily see the next step in that process being all private hospitals refusing to have abortions performed in their facilities.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Roberts did not switch sides. He ruled based on precedence from the previous and similiar Texas case. Which he was in the minority on.

Saw a report on the PBS News hour where a top staffer from a Louisiana Heallth Clinic said the if the Law was upheld, that would have left one qualified and hospital licensed Doctor in the entire State to perform abortions.

I can easily see the next step in that process being all private hospitals refusing to have abortions performed in their facilities.

Of course, that's the point of those laws. They're not about health or safety they're about banning abortions.