Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

If college football goes "business as usual" and ignores COVID a total of 4-16 players would end up in the hospital

6 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Yeah I am a 30 something that is not just gonna stay home. The vast majority of 30 somethings (unless they have major pre existing conditions)  aren't just going to stay home. I mean I am willing to make some changes (like wearing a mask, not going on a cruise) but I will not just sit at home. It is far my likely I did of a car crash over the next year than of COVID. If I do get the short straw and have a terrible case of COVID well that is just life and crap happens. You have to look at probabilities and base your life off of that, not fear.  

if we all would wear masks, it would help dramatically, :cheers:.  I think we do need to be out and about, just smart about it.

On 6/30/2020 at 8:17 PM, thedude15 said:

So a bunch of 70-90 year olds got lung damage and that means 18-24 yo will also? That is not how it works... Just cause heart disease is the number one cause of death in the USA doesn't mean a bunch of 18-24 yo will have heart attacks...

Also keep in mind lung damage typical occurs in SEVERE cases. Thus the only people that would really even be at risk of lung damage are the very small few that need to go to the hospital plus in many cases the damage is reversible. 

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3AeoH26Z6OOCcJ%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fhealth%2F2020%2F07%2F01%2Fcoronavirus-autopsies-findings%2F+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1-d&fbclid=IwAR1JLiHdKN71NIpqPIv1yZz-VK9plliI7429_1BuGUgx98K8fgWDifsTjJo

Read something like that way earlier this morning.  Combined with some socialite in DC hosting a garden party huge benefit function in her backyard spreading IT on a dime. 

The macro point is this.  We are all now used to this.  Most of us know what to do and do it well. 

Sports in America is a must have. We do not need to let that go.  We maybe do not need restaurants or bars.  Or beaches or skiing.  (Phouck and poops re that). 

WE WILL DO FOOTBALL.  NFL and NCAA.

PGA, NBA, Hockey Junks, Soccer, the US Open Tennis Tourney working on it well and fine. 

screw MLB

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

On 6/29/2020 at 3:34 AM, thedude15 said:

Over a 4 month period (3/1 to 6/20) CDC says the hospitalization rate for 18-29 was 32.1 per 100,000 of population. 4 months is about the same time as a football season so we can translate those number to college football. There are roughly 12,500 D1 college football players. So if they are at the same risk of acquiring COVID as an "average" 18-29 yo you would expect 4 players to get sick enough to actually go to the hospital over the course of a football season. I do expect that number to creep up a bit because 18-29 yo (in general not just college football players) are more likely to go about their life and get tired of all the restriction than say a 65 yo with multiple medical conditions. Thus there will be more cases of COVID in that group which will lead to a higher high hospitalization per 100,000. But even it the rate jumps FOUR times higher (it will increase but it wont go that high) that still means you would expect 16 players to get sick enough to go to the hospital. And statistically speaking it is very probable that none of those 4-16 cases would die. For perspective over an average 4 month period using the all cause mortality rate you would expect 2 people out of 12,500 to die in this age group.  

You really have to look at the actual numbers when deciding how to approach the season. You can't just decide based off of fear.

My proposal 

-Let any player that wishes to sit out the season sit it out. They still get their full scholarship and can have a COVID redshirt year. 

-Just have the rest of the players go full steam ahead. If you test positive you have the option to quarantine or you can continue to  play/practice. You would be required to wear a mask and have your own COVID tent at practice/games (ie so you are not congregating with other players when you are not on the field also give you a safe area to drink as that obviously can't be done with a mask on). 

-Coaches wear mask and are given the option to telework if they want to. Even though it won't be as effective you could definitely coach practices via zoom. During the game most coaches could go in the press box and you could have a select few on the field.

-Refs/other personnel can wear mask during gameday  

Telework for coaches is laughable. How many coaches will die if they choose to coach on the field with players? 

Well I don’t think a player would play knowing the other team has a bunch of positives on the other side of the line. A lot of heavy breathing goes on during games. If I was an offensive lineman I wouldn’t want to go against a defensive line that are positive. Sack stats would rise. 

Other then that, it’s a good idea🤣

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:04 PM, Billings said:

Hmm japan and taiwan major cities have avoided any major hit. They dont see one coming if they are careful and are waiting a vaccine without a major disruption.

Wait, give them time and it will happen. Unless they plan on keeping everyone quarantined until a vaccine comes out which I doubt. Without a vaccine, any country that opens up now will feel the wrath,

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.