modestobulldog

Mt Rushmore & Crazy Horse

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Ok but why did they have to be carved into a mountain in the Black Hills. I admire a lot of historic people doesn't mean we should destroy a mountain to honor them.

Mt. Rushmore is pretty great to see and quite an achievement but its pretty silly in my opinion and wasn't needed. Doesn't mean they should remove it or anything just probably should have been made in the first place but it was so oh well.

Pretty much my thoughts. But Rushmore actually serves as a pretty good monument to the hubris of the progressive era and to modernism in general. See that mountain over there? Yea it's nice but I can make it better! That's pretty much what modern, progressive-thinking people did in the late 19th and early 20th century... find ways to "improve" upon nature. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Ok but why did they have to be carved into a mountain in the Black Hills. I admire a lot of historic people doesn't mean we should destroy a mountain to honor them.

Mt. Rushmore is pretty great to see and quite an achievement but its pretty silly in my opinion and wasn't needed. Doesn't mean they should remove it or anything just probably should have been made in the first place but it was so oh well.

Its probably the single biggest economic money maker the state has.  As far as the Indian tribes go - most want to get any land back from hundreds of years ago, from Montana, Wyoming, Dakota's, NM, etc.  

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

When I thought for a few minutes about the prospect of taking dynamite to a mountain so we could mythologize the presidency... as someone who likes mountains and doesn't like executive power. So maybe about 15 years ago. 

I wouldn't do anything to it. What's done is done. The facilities are really nice, the black hills are cool and it's still a popular place. I just think it shouldn't have been done in the first place. 

Easy to say now but when the project was conceived in the early 1920’s  it was all about bringIng tourism and much needed revenue to the region.  With two million people annually visiting Mt. Rushmore I’d say mission accomplished.  The original idea was to sculpt people of regional importance including native Americans on the mountain but the sculptor convinced the powers that be otherwise.  Seeing a need for a more national appeal key founding fathers were decided upon in order to drive tourism.

• Like 1

Just now, NorthWestCowboy said:

Easy to say now but when the project was conceived in the early 1920’s  it was all about bringIng tourism and much needed revenue to the region.  With two million people annually visiting Mt. Rushmore I’d say mission accomplished.  The original idea was to sculpt people of regional importance including native Americans on the mountain but the sculptor convinced the powers that be otherwise.  Seeing a need for a more national appeal key founding fathers were decided upon in order to drive tourism.

Feeding bears in massive garbage pits was a huge draw for tourism too. But it doesn't mean it was a good idea. 

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

What happened a year ago?

You must have grown up on land not lived on by a native american tribe.

Okay, was Rushmore a great idea? Maybe, maybe not.

But come on with the destroying a mountain concern.  I'm not even sure it really qualifies as a "mountain" and we regularly destroy real mountains in the name of commerce, mining and, thank goodness, ski resorts :ph34r: