Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Mt Rushmore & Crazy Horse

When we went to crazy horse about 4 years ago, they said that they intentionally refuse government help. That's why it's going to take a really long time for them to raise the money to complete it.

110926run_defense710.jpg

11 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I've had a fascination with the Black Hills since I was kid. History aside I'd love to see the area...hope to some day.

If you ever get there make sure you also visit Badlands NP just to the East of the Black Hills.  In my opinion the more unique of the two.

https://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm

On 6/28/2020 at 5:22 PM, Bob said:

The Colosseum, Parthenon, Pyramids, etc.. should all be ABOLISHED! Tear them down!!!! NOW! The politics of the builders of these monuments and the institutions they represented were absolutely reprehensible. The gender inequality, the sexism, racism, slavery. How can we bear to have these monuments still standing???? Disgusting! Can you imagine the gender wage gap in these civilizations?? Outrageous.

Dont forget the pyramids......they enslaved the Jews and gave us Moses. 

On 6/28/2020 at 4:22 PM, Bob said:

The Colosseum, Parthenon, Pyramids, etc.. should all be ABOLISHED! Tear them down!!!! NOW! The politics of the builders of these monuments and the institutions they represented were absolutely reprehensible. The gender inequality, the sexism, racism, slavery. How can we bear to have these monuments still standing???? Disgusting! Can you imagine the gender wage gap in these civilizations?? Outrageous.

bob hasn't seen pictures of the colosseum or the parthenon has he

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

13 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

If you ever get there make sure you also visit Badlands NP just to the East of the Black Hills.  In my opinion the more unique of the two.

https://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm

13 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The Badlands is a very eerie place. 

One of the few places that left me speechless when I visited.  I would very much like to spend more time there. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:04 PM, smltwnrckr said:

Rushmore had some of the nicest facilities of any in the nps system when I visited. It's too bad that place is an abomination. 

When did you realize that Mt Rushmore was an abomination?

What would you do to the monument to make it acceptable in your eyes?

2 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

When did you realize that Mt Rushmore was an abomination?

When I thought for a few minutes about the prospect of taking dynamite to a mountain so we could mythologize the presidency... as someone who likes mountains and doesn't like executive power. So maybe about 15 years ago. 

What would you do to the monument to make it acceptable in your eyes?

I wouldn't do anything to it. What's done is done. The facilities are really nice, the black hills are cool and it's still a popular place. I just think it shouldn't have been done in the first place. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

17 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

When I thought for a few minutes about the prospect of taking dynamite to a mountain so we could mythologize the presidency... as someone who likes mountains and doesn't like executive power. So maybe about 15 years ago. 

Were you OK with it a year ago?

9 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

Were you OK with it a year ago?

What happened a year ago?

Mt Rushmore is a great symbol of America and this country wouldn't even be free without those four presidents and several others as well.  
Washington and founding fathers could have just let the colonies be ruled by England, and Jefferson not wrote the Declaration of Independence or done the Louisiana purchase.  Would have been much easier wouldn't it?  
Lincoln could have just said oh let the southern states do as they please and slavery among other things would have persisted for many more years.  
Roosevelt could have not created nat'l parks, not broken up monopolies like the railroad and Standard Oil company and not had Booker Washington to dinner in WH.  

I would really like to hear how the country would be better off without those four on Mt. Rushmore?  

Of course though, there seems to be several here who don't believe in actual freedom and are demanding the gov't to control everyone's actions and thought to only adhere to their personal views. 

It was before George Floyd.

Oh... well yea, I've found Mt Rushmore to be dumb for more than a decade. 

51 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

It was before George Floyd.

What does Mt. Rushmore have to do with George Floyd. Plus he said he didn't like Mt. Rushmore 15 years ago. Not sure what sort of point you are trying to make but you aren't doing it.

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

Mt Rushmore is a great symbol of America and this country wouldn't even be free without those four presidents and several others as well.  
Washington and founding fathers could have just let the colonies be ruled by England, and Jefferson not wrote the Declaration of Independence or done the Louisiana purchase.  Would have been much easier wouldn't it?  
Lincoln could have just said oh let the southern states do as they please and slavery among other things would have persisted for many more years.  
Roosevelt could have not created nat'l parks, not broken up monopolies like the railroad and Standard Oil company and not had Booker Washington to dinner in WH.  

I would really like to hear how the country would be better off without those four on Mt. Rushmore?  

Of course though, there seems to be several here who don't believe in actual freedom and are demanding the gov't to control everyone's actions and thought to only adhere to their personal views. 

Ok but why did they have to be carved into a mountain in the Black Hills. I admire a lot of historic people doesn't mean we should destroy a mountain to honor them.

Mt. Rushmore is pretty great to see and quite an achievement but its pretty silly in my opinion and wasn't needed. Doesn't mean they should remove it or anything just probably should have been made in the first place but it was so oh well.

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Ok but why did they have to be carved into a mountain in the Black Hills. I admire a lot of historic people doesn't mean we should destroy a mountain to honor them.

Mt. Rushmore is pretty great to see and quite an achievement but its pretty silly in my opinion and wasn't needed. Doesn't mean they should remove it or anything just probably should have been made in the first place but it was so oh well.

Pretty much my thoughts. But Rushmore actually serves as a pretty good monument to the hubris of the progressive era and to modernism in general. See that mountain over there? Yea it's nice but I can make it better! That's pretty much what modern, progressive-thinking people did in the late 19th and early 20th century... find ways to "improve" upon nature.