Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorthWestCowboy

After 123 meetings, the last 90 years of which referred to as the Civil War.........

On 6/28/2020 at 7:09 PM, DestinFlPackfan said:

The state of Oregon is gonna Oregon. ...it's what it is.  Portland destroyed the sane minded people in that state.

OK. Florida.

Just now, DestinFlPackfan said:

Not a fan of Florida teams ....but I don't seem to remember any of this state's rivalries called 'wars'.

Who cares? Just saying, if you’re going to call a state insane you shouldn’t live in Florida.

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Who cares? Just saying, if you’re going to call a state insane you shouldn’t live in Florida.

Sorry but as crazy as Florida can seem.....and it's in the south....they don't use the term Civil War for a football rivalry.  And....Portland is definitely the Seattle of Oregon. Some, like you may like the view points , that's you're prerogative.  I know lots of others who love both states but disagree with the ummmm...thinking coming out of Portland and Seattle.  It is ( as I said earlier) what it is...

3 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Sorry but as crazy as Florida can seem.....and it's in the south....they don't use the term Civil War for a football rivalry.  And....Portland is definitely the Seattle of Oregon. Some, like you may like the view points , that's you're prerogative.  I know lots of others who love both states but disagree with the ummmm...thinking coming out of Portland and Seattle.  It is ( as I said earlier) what it is...

Portland is a city. The rest of Oregon is not Portland. Pretty far from, actually. Conversely, all of Florida is crazy. Much nuttier than Portland even.

Beyond that, I don’t care what UO-OSU call their rivalry.

9 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Portland is a city. The rest of Oregon is not Portland. Pretty far from, actually. Conversely, all of Florida is crazy. Much nuttier than Portland even.

Beyond that, I don’t care what UO-OSU call their rivalry.

Thats your opinion and I respect it... even though you're wrong. 

I know Portland isn't like Bend , Coos Bay or Astoria. Been up and down the coast many times. But Portland drives the bus on Oregonian politics. 

How many times have you driven the coasts of Florida to experience their small towns?

Shoot,  I forgot to mention the three times I was in Ashland for the Shakespeare festival.

14 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Thats your opinion and I respect it... even though you're wrong. 

I know Portland isn't like Bend , Coos Bay or Astoria. Been up and down the coast many times. But Portland drives the bus on Oregonian politics. 

How many times have you driven the coasts of Florida to experience their small towns?

Shoot,  I forgot to mention the three times I was in Ashland for the Shakespeare festival.

I always find it interesting when a few visits to a place makes you more of an expert than a resident. I’m not an expert on Florida, but have been to Panama City a few times, and the area around it. And the Redneck Riviera is bananas. Also spent time from Jacksonville through Daytona, including St. Augustine many, many times. One thing about being in and around golf for a lot your adult life, you end up spending lots of time in that part of Florida as well as Orlando.

Portland’s politics are what they are. But they are a world away from the rest of the state. But as nutty as it can get there, there is a reason there is Florida Man, and not Oregon Man.

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I always find it interesting when a few visits to a place makes you more of an expert than a resident. I’m not an expert on Florida, but have been to Panama City a few times, and the area around it. And the Redneck Riviera is bananas. Also spent time from Jacksonville through Daytona, including St. Augustine many, many times. One thing about being in and around golf for a lot your adult life, you end up spending lots of time in that part of Florida as well as Orlando.

Portland’s politics are what they are. But they are a world away from the rest of the state. But as nutty as it can get there, there is a reason there is Florida Man, and not Oregon Man.

I'm glad to hear you're not an expert on Florida. Nor am I on Oregon. .so cheers. 

As far as the golf part I haven't had the opportunity to visit the southern part of the state.  Orlando south to Miami is not my cup of tea. Too many people. I just hired a lady away from the World Golf Village. Have you golfed there?  As a golfer myself, any recommendations in the St.Augustine area, my wife and I have talked about weekending there. ,  Bandon was one place in Oregon that I would  haved loved to play before we moved from Reno. If we ever get back on the west coast that's a must play for me. Your thoughts.

5 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I'm glad to hear you're not an expert on Florida. Nor am I on Oregon. .so cheers. 

As far as the golf part I haven't had the opportunity to visit the southern part of the state.  Orlando south to Miami is not my cup of tea. Too many people. I just hired a lady away from the World Golf Village. Have you golfed there?  As a golfer myself, any recommendations in the St.Augustine area, my wife and I have talked about weekending there. ,  Bandon was one place in Oregon that I would  haved loved to play before we moved from Reno. If we ever get back on the west coast that's a must play for me. Your thoughts.

It’s expensive. The Bend area has several nice courses. 

15 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Orlando sucks. sucks real bad. It’s one of my least favorite places. But I’ve never been to Miami or any of those places further south.

I have played at World Golf Village. The King & Bear a couple times and the Slammer & Squire once. Both good, but overdone, overpriced resort courses, in my opinion. St. Augustine as a town is really neat. The Spanish architecture makes you feel like you’re in Europe. I do have a favorite restaurant in that area. But I can’t remember the name. I’m going to find it for you, amazing low-key, real-deal Florida-style Southern food out in the country a bit. 

I bagged on the “Redneck Riviera“, but I will say that your area has some of he most beautiful beaches around. I liked it there the couple times I went. There is a really nasty course in Panama City. Just brutally difficult. Hombre I think its name was. Not sure I liked it, but I sure as hell remember it.

25 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Missed the Bandon part. It’s a truly special place. I go at least once a year. It’s expensive, particularly in the summer. The off-season isn’t that bad. And if you are willing to play 36 holes in a day it becomes reasonable because the replay rates are reasonable. If you love golf, it’s a truly special experience.

6 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Expensive as in Edgewood Tahoe $275 a round or Pebble Beach $575 a round?

Much closer to Edgewood. The off-season is less though. And unlike Pebble, the hotel and restaurants on property are relatively affordable

Speaking of Oregon my first trip there gave me a new perspective. My wife and I decided to go camping in Oregon from the Bay Area as I had always heard how green and beautiful it was. Having never been there we just picked an area in the middle of the state La Pine. So we head up there and as we enter Oregon it looks kind of dry. The pine trees all looked dead. Three or four hours later we are driving and I ask my wife when does it get green? We finally get to a very dry La Pine and find a camp ground. We set up camp and get attacked by hundreds of mosquitos.

About this time I’m very disappointed. Later in the afternoon a young couple arrives and sets up camp next to ours. I notice they have Oregon plates so I wander over and strike up a conversation. I let them know we had never been to Oregon and thought it was supposed to be green. They both started laughing and let me know we picked the wrong area. They told us to head west over the top of the Cascades. So, the next morning we pack up and drive about an hour to the peak of the Cascades and viola everything turned lush and green. 

We drove down the west side found a great campground called Paradise and spent a week there. Since then we’ve been over to the coast from Boise numerous times and always had a great time. 

My neighbor and I went to the Boise State-Oregon game in Autzen about a decade ago. I thought we would get smoked, but we had this Opie looking freshman QB who was playing his first college road game that wasn't intimidated by Autzen in the least, picked apart the Ducks defense, and we won. That kid destroyed a lot of defenses for the rest of his career at Boise State. 

6 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Speaking of Oregon my first trip there gave me a new perspective. My wife and I decided to go camping in Oregon from the Bay Area as I had always heard how green and beautiful it was. Having never been there we just picked an area in the middle of the state La Pine. So we head up there and as we enter Oregon it looks kind of dry. The pine trees all looked dead. Three or four hours later we are driving and I ask my wife when does it get green? We finally get to a very dry La Pine and find a camp ground. We set up camp and get attacked by hundreds of mosquitos.

About this time I’m very disappointed. Later in the afternoon a young couple arrives and sets up camp next to ours. I notice they have Oregon plates so I wander over and strike up a conversation. I let them know we had never been to Oregon and thought it was supposed to be green. They both started laughing and let me know we picked the wrong area. They told us to head west over the top of the Cascades. So, the next morning we pack up and drive about an hour to the peak of the Cascades and viola everything turned lush and green. 

We drove down the west side found a great campground called Paradise and spent a week there. Since then we’ve been over to the coast from Boise numerous times and always had a great time. 

My neighbor and I went to the Boise State-Oregon game in Autzen about a decade ago. I thought we would get smoked, but we had this Opie looking freshman QB who was playing his first college road game that wasn't intimidated by Autzen in the least, picked apart the Ducks defense, and we won. That kid destroyed a lot of defenses for the rest of his career at Boise State. 

You just ruined a great camping story.:banhammer:

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I’m an Oregonian-Nevadan, which brings up all kinds of issues: A preference for gambling, booze, and hookers ... so long as they are organic and/or environmentally friendly. It’s a tough pin to dance on.

How about pumping your own gas?

1 hour ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Expensive as in Edgewood Tahoe $275 a round or Pebble Beach $575 a round?

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Missed the Bandon part. It’s a truly special place. I go at least once a year. It’s expensive, particularly in the summer. The off-season isn’t that bad. And if you are willing to play 36 holes in a day it becomes reasonable because the replay rates are reasonable. If you love golf, it’s a truly special experience.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:
1 hour ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Expensive as in Edgewood Tahoe $275 a round or Pebble Beach $575 

I love Bandon Dunes.

I really like links golf.

I don't know if Giant mentioned it but there are no carts at Bandon, everybody walks. That makes it pricier because most folks take a caddy.

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I love Bandon Dunes.

I really like links golf.

I don't know if Giant mentioned it but there are no carts at Bandon, everybody walks. That makes it pricier because most folks take a caddy.

I don’t usually. But I recommend a caddy if you can manage the expense.