Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorthWestCowboy

After 123 meetings, the last 90 years of which referred to as the Civil War.........

5 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Changing of the name is being done because of a request from players on both teams?? Did I read that correctly?

Two former players. But can you find any reference to this game that actually ties it to the Confederacy? Last time I checked my history, America isn’t the only country to have had a civil war. Making that connection is a serous stretch given that there has been no Confederate flags flown or any other type of symbolism connecting the game to the war fought in the 1860s. We’re losing our goddamn minds.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

35 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Two former players. But can you find any reference to this game that actually ties it to the Confederacy? Last time I checked my history, America isn’t the only country to have had a civil war. Making that connection is a serous stretch given that there has been no Confederate flags flown or any other type of symbolism connecting the game to the war fought in the 1860s. We’re losing our goddamn minds.

The state of Oregon is gonna Oregon. ...it's what it is.  Portland destroyed the sane minded people in that state.

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Look. I could give two chits what they call the game. I was just saying it was players who asked for the change not random people. And it’s gonna get harder as players, students etc. make these kinds of demands. What do you say to them? I do agree we’re losing our minds. 

Honestly, after reading that re Oregon internal, I thought it was all about Missouri Kansas conventional re football context.  Neither Oregon was invented at that time. Go figure.  No wait..Kansas and Mizzou are the Border War.  The two Oregons were never a part of macro matters that really mean diddly squat in the Before Times. 

The two Oregons just need to focus on Nike sponsorship and PAC matters. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

On 6/29/2020 at 12:25 AM, soupslam1 said:

Here is a list of college rivalry names. Gotta love “The Moonshine Throw Down”  between Marshall and Western Kentucky.

I love that the Golden Screwdriver is a "Wikipedia official" trophy for Hawaii-Fresno.

On 6/28/2020 at 2:36 PM, BSUTOP25 said:

It’s just a dumb dick move by these schools. As if “Civil War” is uniquely American or this game had any connection to the Confederacy or racism. It’s just getting stupid at this point. I’d venture to guess or assume most black people view this as a senseless gesture. 

I mean... it's Oregon so it's definitely connected to racism at some point

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

35 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I mean... it's Oregon so it's definitely connected to racism at some point

Oregon seems to perform okay according to Google and Twitter data.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/28/the-most-racist-places-in-america-according-to-google/%3foutputType=amp

https://awario.com/blog/most-racist-states-social-listening-study/

The American Civil War wasn't the only civil war to ever happen, IIRC.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Oregon was founded by people who were anti slavery because they were so racist that the idea of having any black people around was an abomination. Black people unconstitutional in the state until the '20s? '30s? Portland had segregation and jim crow laws into the '60s. 

It's definitely different today but the civil war has been going on for a long ass time

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just a few years ago I was wanting to go to Portland and check out all the breweries they have. 
I've spent time in Berkeley and San Francisco and wasn't bothered by stuff there but now I wouldn't step foot in Portland or Seattle.  
I have a friend who moved there about 2 years ago to work for Amazon and he's not happy now.  He was the first year but not now. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Oregon was founded by people who were anti slavery because they were so racist that the idea of having any black people around was an abomination. Black people unconstitutional in the state until the '20s? '30s? Portland had segregation and jim crow laws into the '60s. 

It's definitely different today but the civil war has been going on for a long ass time

Tell you what Happy, I promise to change my opinion if there are articles or valid linked resources that connect this football game to the Confederacy at any point in time that it has been referred to as the “Civil War.“ Anything with Confederate battle flags, bands playing Dixie, blue vs grey, UNLV mascots ... anything will do. 

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

Tell you what Happy, I promise to change my opinion if there are articles or valid linked resources that connect this football game to the Confederacy at any point in time that it has been referred to as the “Civil War.“ Anything with Confederate battle flags, bands playing Dixie, blue vs grey, UNLV mascots ... anything will do. 

I didn't say it had anything to do with the Confederacy. Just engaging in some light historical Oregon bashing

Just now, happycamper said:

I didn't say it had anything to do with the Confederacy. Just engaging in some light historical Oregon bashing

Okay, I can support that. Oregonians like @NVGiant are shallow people with poor taste in condiments. 

On 6/29/2020 at 1:17 AM, soupslam1 said:

Is the holy war still acceptable to the Quorum of Twelve in Utah? 

I think in light of the one-sided atrocities committed by the Christians..and the Christians alone against the peace-loving Muslims in the Crusades that it's only a matter of time before the "Holy War" moniker is dropped via complaints by the oppressed

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Okay, I can support that. Oregonians like @NVGiant are shallow people with poor taste in condiments. 

I’m an Oregonian-Nevadan, which brings up all kinds of issues: A preference for gambling, booze, and hookers ... so long as they are organic and/or environmentally friendly. It’s a tough pin to dance on.