Jump to content
UNLV2001

Who's the highest

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not much to do past 10k feet.

I've caught some nice fish at 10k feet, albeit I'm maybe the only person that fishes these lakes.There's so little pressure that the fish can get big

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bob said:

I've caught some nice fish at 10k feet, albeit I'm maybe the only person that fishes these lakes.There's so little pressure that the fish can get big

Luls you fish Wyoming, I am sure you think 16 inches is a big trout. This is Idaho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Central NV has some over 11,000 ft but also the valley base elevations are 4500 to 6000 ft 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Central NV has some over 11,000 ft but also the valley base elevations are 4500 to 6000 ft 

Charleston is like 11992 or something. 

Fun fact... Nevada is actually the most mountainous state 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Charleston is like 11992 or something. 

Fun fact... Nevada is actually the most mountainous state 

No.

Nevada has 172 mountain summits with 2,000 feet (610 m) of prominence. Nevada ranks second in the United States by the number of mountains, behind Alaska, and ahead of California, Montana, and Washington. Nevada is the most mountainous state in the contiguous United States.

 

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Luls you fish Wyoming, I am sure you think 16 inches is a big trout. This is Idaho.

No. Try 24-26 inch cutthroat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Central NV has some over 11,000 ft but also the valley base elevations are 4500 to 6000 ft 

The tallest mountain in the world (from base to peak) is Mauna Kea and it is nearly 34,000 feet but we only measure from sea level and nearly 20,000 ft are under the ocean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mugtang said:

The tallest mountain in the world (from base to peak) is Mauna Kea and it is nearly 34,000 feet but we only measure from sea level and nearly 20,000 ft are under the ocean.

Yeah, any pacific Island is really a tall mountain even some that barely get above sea level 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Yeah, any pacific Island is really a tall mountain even some that barely get above sea level 

True.  I love geology.  If you're traveling along the floor of the pacific all you'd see (besides darkness) is the flat desert of the sea bed.  I say flat because it's the perspective of the person...not because the earth is flat.  Anyway you can be traveling along and all of the sudden there's a giant mountain literally coming out of nowhere.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mugtang said:

True.  I love geology.  If you're traveling along the floor of the pacific all you'd see (besides darkness) is the flat desert of the sea bed.  I say flat because it's the perspective of the person...not because the earth is flat.  Anyway you can be traveling along and all of the sudden there's a giant mountain literally coming out of nowhere.  

Weird when you think if it, if there was no water how earth would have this vast low plain with the odd mountains here & there that is the Pacific Ocean area - The land masses all started on one raised lump with everything else at a way lower elevation (now as sea floor) 

 

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The tallest mountain in the world (from base to peak) is Mauna Kea and it is nearly 34,000 feet but we only measure from sea level and nearly 20,000 ft are under the ocean.

Ya I belief it's higher than Everest. It's the main reason Maui hardly gets hurricanes, it just demolishes them as they try to fly over the big island.

It also gets snow quite often, saw a few locals bringing truckloads of it down to have a snowman for a day on the beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idaho has the two deepest canyons.  Yes, deeper than the Grand Canyon.  One is on the Salmon river by Riggins and the other on the Snake river.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bob said:

No. Try 24-26 inch cutthroat.

Just joking with ya.  High mountain lake fishing is great.  The trout hardly get pressure so are very easy to catch.  Huge insect hatches make them fat as +++++ as well.  In my experience though, once you get past 10 k and or the treeline of whatever area you are in, camping loses some appeal.  I prefer hiking along rivers as you just see more.  Fishing is usually a little better than in the higher up lakes, you cover more ground while fishing, see more wildlife.

Still, fishing a high mountain lake beats the hell out of anything I can do in Boise right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Just joking with ya.  High mountain lake fishing is great.  The trout hardly get pressure so are very easy to catch.  Huge insect hatches make them fat as +++++ as well.  In my experience though, once you get past 10 k and or the treeline of whatever area you are in, camping loses some appeal.  I prefer hiking along rivers as you just see more.  Fishing is usually a little better than in the higher up lakes, you cover more ground while fishing, see more wildlife.

Still, fishing a high mountain lake beats the hell out of anything I can do in Boise right now.  

I much, much prefer fishing in rivers, as well. Plant life thins out at 10k feet, that's for sure, but there's something about being close to those granite peaks and cliffs that tugs at my heart. It's almost like being in an ancient cathedral.

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×