Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Who's the highest

32 minutes ago, Bob said:

I've caught some nice fish at 10k feet, albeit I'm maybe the only person that fishes these lakes.There's so little pressure that the fish can get big

Luls you fish Wyoming, I am sure you think 16 inches is a big trout. This is Idaho.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Central NV has some over 11,000 ft but also the valley base elevations are 4500 to 6000 ft 

Charleston is like 11992 or something. 

Fun fact... Nevada is actually the most mountainous state 

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Charleston is like 11992 or something. 

Fun fact... Nevada is actually the most mountainous state 

No.

Nevada has 172 mountain summits with 2,000 feet (610 m) of prominence. Nevada ranks second in the United States by the number of mountains, behind Alaska, and ahead of California, Montana, and Washington. Nevada is the most mountainous state in the contiguous United States.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

16 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Central NV has some over 11,000 ft but also the valley base elevations are 4500 to 6000 ft 

The tallest mountain in the world (from base to peak) is Mauna Kea and it is nearly 34,000 feet but we only measure from sea level and nearly 20,000 ft are under the ocean.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

The tallest mountain in the world (from base to peak) is Mauna Kea and it is nearly 34,000 feet but we only measure from sea level and nearly 20,000 ft are under the ocean.

Yeah, any pacific Island is really a tall mountain even some that barely get above sea level 

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Yeah, any pacific Island is really a tall mountain even some that barely get above sea level 

True.  I love geology.  If you're traveling along the floor of the pacific all you'd see (besides darkness) is the flat desert of the sea bed.  I say flat because it's the perspective of the person...not because the earth is flat.  Anyway you can be traveling along and all of the sudden there's a giant mountain literally coming out of nowhere.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

6 minutes ago, mugtang said:

True.  I love geology.  If you're traveling along the floor of the pacific all you'd see (besides darkness) is the flat desert of the sea bed.  I say flat because it's the perspective of the person...not because the earth is flat.  Anyway you can be traveling along and all of the sudden there's a giant mountain literally coming out of nowhere.  

Weird when you think if it, if there was no water how earth would have this vast low plain with the odd mountains here & there that is the Pacific Ocean area - The land masses all started on one raised lump with everything else at a way lower elevation (now as sea floor) 

21 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Ya I belief it's higher than Everest. It's the main reason Maui hardly gets hurricanes, it just demolishes them as they try to fly over the big island.

It also gets snow quite often, saw a few locals bringing truckloads of it down to have a snowman for a day on the beach.

Idaho has the two deepest canyons.  Yes, deeper than the Grand Canyon.  One is on the Salmon river by Riggins and the other on the Snake river.

down in a hole.jpg

6 hours ago, Bob said:

No. Try 24-26 inch cutthroat.

Just joking with ya.  High mountain lake fishing is great.  The trout hardly get pressure so are very easy to catch.  Huge insect hatches make them fat as +++++ as well.  In my experience though, once you get past 10 k and or the treeline of whatever area you are in, camping loses some appeal.  I prefer hiking along rivers as you just see more.  Fishing is usually a little better than in the higher up lakes, you cover more ground while fishing, see more wildlife.

Still, fishing a high mountain lake beats the hell out of anything I can do in Boise right now.  

20 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Luls you fish Wyoming, I am sure you think 16 inches is a big trout. This is Idaho.

6 hours ago, Bob said:

No. Try 24-26 inch cutthroat.

Quality, not quantity. One day I'm gon' get me a golden trout. Then, I believe, I'll have hit the cycle. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, Bob said:

I've caught goldens, or at least golden-cutthroat hybrids. There are many lakes in Wyoming's Wind River Range that have them. You should come catch one. The Wind River Range is one of the greatest still water alpine fisheries in the world.

I mean native golden in a native stream. They're not real big, but maybe the most beautiful trout you can find. The Golden Trout Wilderness is really not that far from me, but I haven't had the chance to take a fishing trip out there since moving back to CA.

However, the Wind River Range sounds amazing. I'm putting it on my list.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

16 minutes ago, Bob said:

I've caught goldens, or at least golden-cutthroat hybrids. There are many lakes in Wyoming's Wind River Range that have them. You should come catch one. The Wind River Range is one of the greatest still water alpine fisheries in the world.

Also, not to brag, but in my "home" creek I've caught rainbow, brown, brook, cutthroat, hybrid of brook-brown, walleye and creek chub.

My "home" creek (ecosystem really) has 4 protected fish and two not protected fish.  Chinook Salmon, Steelhead, Bull rout (Dolly Varden) and Westslope Cutthroat make up the endangered/protected fish and the ecosystem is just filled with them.  Non protected fish include Brook trout and Mountain White fish.  I have had several days where I have caught all 6.  There is a Summer Stealhead run that coincides with the Salmon run.  Nothing like landing two species of fish over 35 inches in scenic mountain river in one day.  The Bull Trout get into that 32-38 inch range as well.  You are not supposed to target the Stealhead in the Salmon river drainages or the Salmon out of season but it sure is a hoot to get them on a tiny trout outfit!