Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Devin Nunes can’t sue Twitter over statements by fake cow, judge rules

A judge has ruled that Rep. Devin Nunes has no right to sue Twitter over statements made by a fake Internet cow, someone parodying his mother and a Republican strategist.

Judge John Marshall said in a decision Friday that Twitter was “immune from the defamation claims of” Nunes, R-Tulare, due to federal law that says social media companies are not liable for what people post on their platforms.

Nunes “seeks to have the court treat Twitter as the publisher or speaker of the content provided by others based on its allowing or not allowing certain content to be on its internet platform,” Marshall wrote. “The court refuses to do so.”

Nunes sued Twitter, the two parody accounts known as Devin Nunes’ Cow and Devin Nunes’ Mom and strategist Liz Mair in March 2019. He alleged the latter three had defamed him online, ruining his reputation and causing him to win his 2018 election by a narrower margin than normal. He accused Twitter of being negligent for allowing the alleged defamation.

Twitter’s lawyers, in their motion to dismiss the suit, argued that Twitter was immune from the lawsuit due to federal law. The law, known as Section 230, says that social media companies like Twitter are not liable for what third parties post on their platform. The only exception is if Twitter personally helped develop or create the content. Both Twitter and Nunes agreed the company did not do that in this case.

Nunes’ lawyer, Steven Biss, argued that Twitter’s actions in allegedly favoring more liberal content over conservative content and allegedly promoting tweets that made fun of Nunes meant that Section 230 protections should not apply.

Judge Marshall disagreed with Nunes and Biss’ arguments, saying previous court cases had already settled that Section 230 applies even if the company does show bias in what content it allows people to post.

Marshall’s ruling does not mean this case has been dismissed. Rather, Marshall is removing Twitter as a defendant on the case, leaving the case pending against the two parody Twitter accounts and Mair. But it’s a blow to Nunes nonetheless, as he was trying to push Twitter into revealing the identities of the two accounts, who have been mocking him online anonymously.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/nation-world/national/article243664982.html

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I wonder how an ass clown like Nunes can be elected, but then I read posts from a handful of Fresno posters on this board and it all makes sense. 😂 

Nevada gave us Sharron Angle....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:22 PM, retrofade said:

Is that Fresno Bee story about Nunes secretly moving his dairy farm to Iowa so he could have illegals work it?  He's suing the writer for divulging it so it's probably true.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:12 AM, NevadaFan said:

I wonder how an ass clown like Nunes can be elected, but then I read posts from a handful of Fresno posters on this board and it all makes sense. 😂 

I'm looking to move to Visalia in a few months and all the neighborhoods I've been looking at is filled with Nunes yard signs. I know he's from Tulare but yeeeesh.  

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

2 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

I'm looking to move to Visalia in a few months and all the neighborhoods I've been looking at is filled with Nunes yard signs. I know he's from Tulare but yeeeesh.  

It's understandable that everyone in Tulare County loves Nunes. After all, his work in Congress has helped raise the standard of living there to a momentous level.

1 hour ago, azgreg said:

"Parler" was a typo. Devin was actually thinking of this wonderful metropolis in his Congressional district: 

Parlier.jpg

(I couldn't find a single photo of the modern downtown, which is presumed to be to the right of the sign. Wonder why not.)

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

"Parler" was a typo. Devin was actually thinking of this wonderful metropolis in his Congressional district: 

Parlier.jpg

(I couldn't find a single photo of the modern downtown, which is presumed to be to the right of the sign. Wonder why not.)

Gerrymandering keeps Parlier outside of Nunes' 22nd district.

Parlier is located in Democrat TJ Cox's 21st district. That district stretches from Arvin and the Grapevine south of Bakersfield up I-5 to Mendota and shifts east to pick up Parlier and a couple of other farm towns. It ranges over 150 miles north to south.

Cox defeated Republican David Valadao in 2018 to represent the 21st.

Nunes' 22nd district is 46% Hispanic. Cox's 21st district is 72% Hispanic.

IIRC, it wasn't that long ago that Nunes was a moderate in the GOP. Has he just been drunk on power because he got to be the president's stoolie for a couple years? Or did he actually think the Trump Administration was gonna build another dam in CA to give more free water paid for by the American taxpayers to his friends?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

21 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

IIRC, it wasn't that long ago that Nunes was a moderate in the GOP. Has he just been drunk on power because he got to be the president's stoolie for a couple years? Or did he actually think the Trump Administration was gonna build another dam in CA to give more free water paid for by the American taxpayers to his friends?

Nunes' voting record on some issues seemed to shift starting in 2012.

5 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Nunes' voting record on some issues seemed to shift starting in 2012.

Interesting. I feel like even then, he wasn't a conservative bulldog. Could be wrong tho.