Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Cali Bans Sports Teams From Traveling to Idaho

28 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The bathroom bill was bigoted.  Saying people who are assigned male at birth have an unfair advantage in athletic competitions is not.

You have to consider the current political environment. The NCAA even told Mississippi it needed to change its state flag.

Also the NCAA has had Transgender policies for a decade. They spell out the participation requirements.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Transgender_Handbook_2011_Final.pdf

If the law only applied to high school athletes in the state it would have a different impact.

But applying it to college athletes impacts Idaho colleges being members of a voluntary organization with its own policies. The NCAA may not be willing to look the other way.

6 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

You have to consider the current political environment. The NCAA even told Mississippi it needed to change its state flag.

Also the NCAA has had Transgender policies for a decade. They spell out the participation requirements.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Transgender_Handbook_2011_Final.pdf

If the law only applied to high school athletes in the state it would have a different impact.

But applying it to college athletes impacts Idaho colleges being members of a voluntary organization with its own policies. The NCAA may not be willing to look the other way.

Will they look the other way for Arizona?  

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/arizona-state-house-passes-bill-banning-transgender-female/story?id=69386064

19 minutes ago, PokeTransplant said:

I am very educated and have a really good weapons research job.  Thanks for the advice.

I thought so.  So there is no reason for me to spend an hour finding articles, reading/skimming them for you.  You can do that yourself.

1 hour ago, PokeTransplant said:

I just haven't seen evidence where there is some nefarious reason that trans-women/girls compete in sports to have some unfair advantage.  Regardless, aren't you just projecting that girls can't compete because they are girls?  

And there is no nefarious reason rules are made stating they can't.

110926run_defense710.jpg

31 minutes ago, PokeTransplant said:

I am very educated and have a really good weapons research job.  Thanks for the advice.

Your ignorance of science is astounding.

110926run_defense710.jpg

45 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yea, it’s easy to take a stand against Idaho when they are just hurting 3 CSUs and the MWC. But something tells me they won’t be so cavalier when it affects Berkeley, UCLA, and the Pac-12. 

43 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The Arizona bill has only passed 1/2 of the state legislature and has not been signed yet.

But I doubt they will let Arizona off the hook either. Idaho is up first and will tell us what will happen.

I just read the Idaho law. I am not a lawyer but I do see several things that just don't look right.

• It says a government entity cannot open an investigation, file a complaint or take adverse action against a school for banning transgenders from female teams. A state saying the Federal government can not investigate or file a complaint such as under Title IX?
  • It says an athletic association or organization cannot open an investigation, file a complaint or take adverse action against a school. But I think Nevada tried something similar in a law in the 1990s with a different situation and lost in Federal court to the NCAA under the Commerce Clause.
  • It says a school cannot take adverse action against a student who reports another student as violating that law. But high school kids are mean. A student could file a complaint against a biological female who looks more masculine or is lesbian and the school could not even punish if it felt there was bullying going on.

https://legislature.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/sessioninfo/2020/legislation/H0500.pdf

Any lawyers on the board might see some different legal issues.

But I just don't see it standing up in court, especially after last week's Supreme Court ruling.

17 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, it’s easy to take a stand against Idaho when they are just hurting 3 CSUs and the MWC. But something tells me they won’t be so cavalier when it affects Berkeley, UCLA, and the Pac-12. 

I don't know. Threatening Mississippi over its flag and North Carolina over the bathroom bill? The NCAA seems to be growing some.

2 hours ago, PokeTransplant said:

I just haven't seen evidence where there is some nefarious reason that trans-women/girls compete in sports to have some unfair advantage.  Regardless, aren't you just projecting that girls can't compete because they are girls?  

There is all kinds of evidence of that.  Don't be ridiculous.

I am all in 100% for LGBTQ 🏳️‍🌈 rights, without question. They have been mistreated and discriminated against for far too long in our society. Our laws should be modified to ensure they are treated equally and with dignity and respect. But competition in physical sports is another matter. As @East Coast Aztec mentioned earlier, there are physiological differences in size, both in muscle development and bone density. But even outside of those, this sort of thing opens up potential for competitive abuse by bad players who will eventually find ways to use this to their advantage. Transgenders would not be banned from sports under Idaho’s law, simply required to perform under the designation of their birth gender. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

40 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

There is all kinds of evidence of that.  Don't be ridiculous.

I do not know how many do it just so they can win sporting competitions.  I think most do it for validity.  Sports help a lot of people and this is a tough issue.  Competing in sports has a myriad of benefits, physically and mentally.  However there is no doubt that going through puberty as a male is a huge advantage over those who do not.  Athletes are losing out on experiences and attention when trans athletes take podium spots.  When they miss out on qualifying for competitions and are forced to watch from the sidelines.  It is simply not a fair playing field and there is nothing bigoted about acknowledging that.

8 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I am all in 100% for LGBTQ 🏳️‍🌈 rights, without question. They have been mistreated and discriminated against for far too long in our society. Our laws should be modified to ensure they are treated equally and with dignity and respect. But competition in physical sports is another matter. As @East Coast Aztec mentioned earlier, there are physiological differences in size, both in muscle development and bone density. But even outside of those, this sort of thing opens up potential for competitive abuse by bad players who will eventually find ways to use this to their advantage. Transgenders would not be banned from sports under Idaho’s law, simply required to perform under the designation of their birth gender. 

But then there is the hormone treatments.

A transgender female-to-male is taking testosterone which could bring an unfair advantage against others of their birth gender.

A transgender male-to-female is taking estrogen which would create a disadvantage against others of their birth gender.

1 minute ago, FresnoFacts said:

A transgender female-to-male is taking testosterone which could bring an unfair advantage against others of their birth gender.

A transgender male-to-female is taking estrogen which would create a disadvantage against others of their birth gender.

It is a tricky issue with no clean answer.  Maybe they could not use hormones and medically transition after their athletic careers?  I am not sure.  

3 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

That’s a good point. You can flip those arguments to use the other way around as well. Maybe there should be separate categories for transgenders? What I’m arguing for is trying to keep the playing field fair for girls sports so that you don’t have scenarios where transgender boys to girls start happening more for trophies rather than actual sexual identity.

8 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

The only answer is to create trans sports with at least 2 classifications, m2f and f2m. 

110926run_defense710.jpg

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It is a tricky issue with no clean answer.  Maybe they could not use hormones and medically transition after their athletic careers?  I am not sure.  

Very tricky and I don't know what the correct answer is either.

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

That’s a good point. You can flip those arguments to use the other way around as well. Maybe there should be separate categories for transgenders? What I’m arguing for is trying to keep the playing field fair for girls sports so that you don’t have scenarios where transgender boys to girls start happening more for trophies rather than actual sexual identity.

I don't know either. Maybe coed varsity sports where feasible instead of single gender?

3 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Very tricky and I don't know what the correct answer is either.

I don't know either. Maybe coed varsity sports where feasible instead of single gender?

I don’t know either. But I’m not in support of California trying to force their will on another state like this, especially with regard to this particular issue.