Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Listing of viewership of P5 conferences by slhNavy91

This is a listing, put together by slhNavy91 an AAC fan, of viewership of P5 conferences from 2015 to 2019.

The list shows a significant advantage to the AAC which is why I suspect he put the list together. I am both surprised by the AAC advantage and the advantage that the MWC holds over the MAC, Sunbelt and CUSA.  How significant is this for the future and how much will our new TV contract with FOX help us in the battle of the G5?

Please comment. Also how many bowl games will FOX broadcast for the MWC. I have heard nothing concerning this.

Note slhNavy91 is obviously very much an AAC fan however his stats are generally quite accurate.

Viewership - 2015-2019 - non-contract-bowl-conferences
2019 Big Viewer Games
2019 all games
Greater than three million viewers: AAC 4, MAC 1, mwc & CUSA & SunBelt 0
Greater than two million viewers: AAC 11, mwc 3, CUSA 2, MAC 2, SunBelt 0
Greater than one million viewers: AAC 22, mwc 10, CUSA 8, MAC 7, SunBelt 1

2019 non-bowl games
Greater than three million viewers: AAC 2, G4 0
Greater than two million viewers: AAC 8, mwc 0, CUSA 1, MAC 1, SunBelt 0
Greater than one million viewers: AAC 15, mwc 5, CUSA 3, MAC 2, SunBelt 0

2019 conference-controlled games
Greater than three million viewers: AAC 0, G4 0
Greater than two million viewers: AAC 5, G4 0
Greater than one million viewers: AAC 10, mwc 2, CUSA & MAC & Sunbelt 0

2019 intra-conference games
Greater than three million viewers: AAC 0, G4 0
Greater than two million viewers: AAC 3, G4 0
Greater than one million viewers: AAC 6, mwc 1, CUSA & MAC & SunBelt 0

2019 games greater than one million viewers (and bowls, CCGs below that)
AAC
Army-Navy 7.22 million
Cotton Bowl Memphis 6.22
Houston-Oklahoma 5.44
Liberty Bowl Navy 3.33
SMU-Memphis 2.95
Cincinnati-tOSU 2.94
Conf. Champ Game 2.88
UCF-Pitt 2.55
Cincinnati-Memphis 2.51
WSU- Houston 2.07
Military Bowl Temple 2.07
Boca Raton Bowl SMU 1.99
Mississippi-Memphis 1.88
Wisconsin-USF 1.80
USF-UCF 1.76
Armed Forces Bowl Tulane 1.74
UCLA-Cincinnati 1.63
Navy-ND 1.56
Birmingham Bowl Cincinnati 1.52
UCF-Cincinnati 1.44
Gasparilla Bowl UCF 1.15
Houston Tulane 1.03

mwc
Las Vegas Bowl Boise 2.64 million
Cactus Bowl AirForce 2.62 million
Hawaii Bowl Hawaii vs BYU 2.43 million
Fresno-USC 1.65
Marshall-Boise 1.38
Potato Bowl Nevada 1.36 million
CSU-Colorado 1.28
Frisco Bowl USU 1.25
Boise - Florida State 1.19
Wyoming - Boise 1.18
New Mexico Bowl 802k
Conf Champ Game 550k

CUSA
FAU- tOSU 2.62 million
Independence Bowl LaTech 2.37
Boca Raton Bowl FAU 1.99
Armed Forces Bowl SoMiss 1.74
Marshall-Boise 1.38
First Responders Bowl WKU 1.29
Gasparilla Bowl Marshall 1.15
MTSU - Michigan 1.11
New Orleans Bowl UAB 963k
Bahamas Bowl Charlotte 739k
Camellia Bowl FIU 692k
Conf Champ Game on CBSSN not rated

MAC
QuickLane Bowl EMU 3.05 million
Buffalo - Penn State 2.17
Mobile Bowl Miami 1.45
Potato Bowl Ohio 1.36
First Responders Bowl WMU 1.29
Bowling Green - ND 1.28
Frisco Bowl Kent State 1.25
New Mexico Bowl CMU 802k
Bahamas Bowl Buffalo 739k
Conf Champ Game 358k

SunBelt
Mobile Bowl - ULL 1.45 million
New Orleans Bowl Appalachian State - 963k
Ark State- UGA 951k
Conf Champ Game 726k
Camellia Bowl Ark State 692k

I think that games on CBS rather than on CBS Sports will get higher ratings.  A minimum of three games per year will be broadcast on CBS rather than on cable and I presume each of those broadcasts will have more than one million viewers as a result.

Fox should be able to get better ratings for its Boise package with Fox broadcasts.  Three games are also the minimum number of national broadcasts for Fox.

I presume both CBS and Fox will broadcast more Mountain West games if the money benefits them.  If the broadcasts are profitable then the networks should exceed the contract minimum and that is going to be the most important way to evaluate the strength or weakness of the Mountain West as a media product.

I don't think that bowl games should be on the list for comparison purposes. It's really only relevant to count the ratings for home games to determining the media contract value because home teams control broadcast rights.

The AAC games on the list actually relevant to the conference's media value are:

Army-Navy 7.22 million
SMU-Memphis 2.95
Conf. Champ Game 2.88
Cincinnati-Memphis 2.51
WSU- Houston 2.07
Mississippi-Memphis 1.88
Wisconsin-USF 1.80
USF-UCF 1.76
UCLA-Cincinnati 1.63
UCF-Cincinnati 1.44
Houston Tulane 1.03

It's still a good list but demonstrates how much Navy's appeal as nothing to do with the American conference because it is clearly such an outlier.

The only Mountain West games that are on the list which are Boise home games because none of the data is available for CBS Sports.  The 2020 list should not get worse and hopefully will improve with at least six broadcasts of Mountain West home games.

Hardly a slap to the Mtn West in general. This has been debated a hundred times.  The AAC has a huge population base to attract viewers.  They are second tier games but they should attract decent numbers based solely on population.  Then, there’s the time zone.  Most of BSU’s home games are shown after 7:00p.  Conversely, AAC have better time slots to show their games.  For example a noon game in Gainesville is on at 9:00a Pacific.  Certainly not prime time but the game is watchable.  Conversely,  BSU games that start at 8:00p Mtn. Time is on at 10:00p in the east.  Our games finish up anywhere from 11:00p to midnight local which is 1:00a to 2:00a eastern.  Which are more watchable?  It’s no surprise that they would have better ratings.  On their own, there’s not much Mtn. West teams can do to counter AAC’s advantages.

3 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

I think that games on CBS rather than on CBS Sports will get higher ratings.  A minimum of three games per year will be broadcast on CBS rather than on cable and I presume each of those broadcasts will have more than one million viewers as a result.

Fox should be able to get better ratings for its Boise package with Fox broadcasts.  Three games are also the minimum number of national broadcasts for Fox.

I presume both CBS and Fox will broadcast more Mountain West games if the money benefits them.  If the broadcasts are profitable then the networks should exceed the contract minimum and that is going to be the most important way to evaluate the strength or weakness of the Mountain West as a media product.

I don't think that bowl games should be on the list for comparison purposes. It's really only relevant to count the ratings for home games to determining the media contract value because home teams control broadcast rights.

The AAC games on the list actually relevant to the conference's media value are:

Army-Navy 7.22 million
SMU-Memphis 2.95
Conf. Champ Game 2.88
Cincinnati-Memphis 2.51
WSU- Houston 2.07
Mississippi-Memphis 1.88
Wisconsin-USF 1.80
USF-UCF 1.76
UCLA-Cincinnati 1.63
UCF-Cincinnati 1.44
Houston Tulane 1.03

It's still a good list but demonstrates how much Navy's appeal as nothing to do with the American conference because it is clearly such an outlier.

The only Mountain West games that are on the list which are Boise home games because none of the data is available for CBS Sports.  The 2020 list should not get worse and hopefully will improve with at least six broadcasts of Mountain West home games.

Are you saying that road games aren’t  important for determining how well a team’s viewership should be judged? Just because the road game might not be on contracted network? That seems like a stretch.

Bowl games absolutely matter as well, but carry on.