Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

POLL: Should The Union Peacefully Dissolve?

Would it be better to dissolve the Union?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be better to dissolve the Union?

• Yes, let's slice this +++++er up and live the way we want to live
    • No, we are better as a whole through compromise and constitutional federalism

19 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yes and no. In an almost entirely rural state like Wyoming, I admit this makes perfect sense. But this isn't just a fight over federalism. @Bob is right. This is a divide between rural and urban, and in states like Oregon, it is painfully obvious. 

But why?

21 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yes and no. In an almost entirely rural state like Wyoming, I admit this makes perfect sense. But this isn't just a fight over federalism. @Bob is right. This is a divide between rural and urban, and in states like Oregon, it is painfully obvious. 

It still would be a problem for the state govt......but one at least the federal govt wouldnt be a part of

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I'm asking for specifics. What federal laws have been thrust upon you? How do they impact you directly?

I just don’t believe the president should have such wide sweeping authority to attack other countries, ban certain products, create travel and migration restrictions, etc without approval from Congress. You think the Trump Administration should have more authority? 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

But why?

You could say the divide has always existed in America. But has become more profound recently with the new industrial revolution — automation — manifesting itself in a new era of urban and rural populism.

8 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

It still would be a problem for the state govt......but one at least the federal govt wouldnt be a part of

I think it's a fair argument, and one I am increasingly coming around on as each year goes by. So there you go, we agree on something. :cheers:

If we ended social media, nobody in Idaho or Wyoming would give two poops about California laws and nobody in California would be freaking out over statues in Virgina.

Everybody wants the USA to be more isolationist on a global scale yet internally we have visceral reaction to stuff 2k miles away everyday.

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I just don’t believe the president should have such wide sweeping authority to attack other countries, ban certain products, create travel and migration restrictions, etc without approval from Congress. You think the Trump Administration should have more authority? 

I thought jackrabbit was talking more about federalism, not executive authority. 

Anyway, I agree with your point but does it have anything to do with the urban/rural divide? 

17 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

A huge part of it is economic, right? Rural America is falling apart and nobody is talking about it. The only person why even obliquely addressed it was Trump.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

35 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

The reason the 2 political sides are so divided....they are trying to divide up federal powers that shouldn't be there to start with.

I agree.  As a resident of a very liberal state, seeing the democrats trying to push what we already have nationally seems dumb.  Let Alabama be Alabama. In Washington State we have $15 minimum wage, 80% renewable energy (sorry about the fish, Idaho), universal paid sick leave, paid family leave, universal mail-in voting, legal marijuana, etc.

I like it here, but agree that it is dumb to force all of those things on the likes of Idaho and Mississippi. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

A huge part of it is economic, right? Rural America is falling apart and nobody is talking about it. The only person why even obliquely addressed it was Trump.

Absolutely. Automation, freer trade, shifting energy sources, inequity built into the system, etc. have all put enormous pressure on the middle class and below.

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I thought jackrabbit was talking more about federalism, not executive authority. 

Anyway, I agree with your point but does it have anything to do with the urban/rural divide? 

This was his post...

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit said:

If we get back to the 10th amendment and let federalism work....we would be fine.

It is very wrong that a president can make such a difference in our personal lives.   He has way too much power over things he shouldn't and congress has legislated away most of its power to govt.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I agree.  As a resident of a very liberal state, seeing the democrats trying to push what we already have nationally seems dumb.  Let Alabama be Alabama. In Washington State we have $15 minimum wage, 80% renewable energy (sorry about the fish, Idaho), universal paid sick leave, paid family leave, universal mail-in voting, legal marijuana, etc.

I like it here, but agree that it is dumb to force all of those things on the likes of Idaho and Mississippi. 

Yep. When I came to this conclusion it helped motivate me to relocate to Oregon. I've been thrilled with the decision, but it's not for everybody.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

You could say the divide has always existed in America. But has become more profound recently with the new industrial revolution — automation — manifesting itself in a new era of urban and rural populism.

I think there was always a divide between urban and rural based upon the specifics needs/wants of the communities. But the divide didn't always manifest politically.

GOP vs Dem used to be more split north to south.

I'm hoping we can start talking about specifics and how laws pushed and passed by more urban based lawmakers have had negative impacts on rural communities.

Honestly, I don't see it. I think it's mostly ideological bullshit. The only difference now, thanks to the internet, is that we can anonymously discuss it continuously and unfortunately, not always very civilly. 

7 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

This was his post...

I was more focused on his first statement regarding the 10th. Don't really understand how he moves from his first sentence to executive authority in his second.

Anyway, I'm still wondering what federal law or "executive action" has negatively impacted anyone here personally.

The sooner the better

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit said:

If we get back to the 10th amendment and let federalism work....we would be fine.

It is very wrong that a president can make such a difference in our personal lives.   He has way too much power over things he shouldn't and congress has legislated away most of its power to govt.

Well put.

Having given it some thought over the weekend, it occurs to me I was too harsh in criticizing pokerider's support of Trump solely on an economic basis last week. Our family has been fortunate to have plenty of money over the last 20 years but I'd forgotten how much we struggled financially during the nineties and I'm sure that had to be true of many people who voted for the guy in 2016. Hopefully their lot has now improved so they won't again be one-issue voters and after seeing what a rudderless ship the country has had during his tenure they will cast their ballot for Biden, the Libertarian candidate or nobody this November.