Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

POLL: Should The Union Peacefully Dissolve?

Would it be better to dissolve the Union?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be better to dissolve the Union?

• Yes, let's slice this +++++er up and live the way we want to live
    • No, we are better as a whole through compromise and constitutional federalism

I've posed this question before but given recent events I'm going to test the temperature again. With the drastic and start urban/rural, blue/red divide, have we gotten to the point where we might consider peacefully dissolving the Union and creating several smaller regionalized countries with free trade and common currency ... such as these rough and imperfect examples:

Cascadia - California, Western Oregon, Western Washington

Cibola - Arizona, Colorado, Western and Southern Nevada, New Mexico

Greater Idaho (aka Fry Sauce Republic) - Idaho, Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Middle and Northeastern Nevada 

Mid America - North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma

Great Lakes - Northern Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin 

Meh - Ohio, Indiana, Southern Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Western Pennsylvania, West Virginia 

Metro - New York, Eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, Western Connecticut, New Jersey 

New England - Eastern Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont 

Mid Atlantic - Maryland, DC, Virginia, North Carolina 

South - Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina 

With this model, the Calexit people can create the local laws and utopia they so desire. No more worry about that constitutional thingy holding them back from banning and confiscating firearms, prohibiting "offensive" expression, and regulating the +++++ out of everything. The South can remain as obese, backwooded, and racist as they so choose. Metro can slick their hair back and refer to everyone as "buddy" or "guy" and use a lot of hand gestures when they talk. People can migrate to the regional country that they're ideologically aligned to. 

I'm personally conflicted on the issue. I see positives and negatives to both. 

Votr!

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I don't see how that will help much. It's not the states that are divided from each other it's the urban/rural counties. Living in Denver I feel Chicago, NOLA, and LA are much more familiar than Greeley and Grand Junction.

I got dogged and severely judged for wearing a mask in Grand Junction last week, and it's required and accepted in regularly in urban areas. Different types of people with different values.

Well maybe we should correct the mistake and let the southern states follow their heritage into a confederacy.  They can become the 4th largest power in North America and beg Mexico for a free trade deal.  Instead of BREXIT we can call it REXIT or Red Neck Exit.

Posted Image

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I've posed this question before but given recent events I'm going to test the temperature again. With the drastic and start urban/rural, blue/red divide, have we gotten to the point where we might consider peacefully dissolving the Union and creating several smaller regionalized countries with free trade and common currency ... such as these rough and imperfect examples:

Greater Idaho (aka Fry Sauce Republic) - Idaho, Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Middle and Northeastern Nevada 

Meh - Ohio, Indiana, Southern Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Western Pennsylvania, West Virginia 

Metro - New York, Eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, Western Connecticut, New Jersey 

New England - Eastern Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont 

South - Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina 

With this model, the Calexit people can create the local laws and utopia they so desire. No more worry about that constitutional thingy holding them back from banning and confiscating firearms, prohibiting "offensive" expression, and regulating the +++++ out of everything. The South can remain as obese, backwooded, and racist as they so choose. Metro can slick their hair back and refer to everyone as "buddy" or "guy" and use a lot of hand gestures when they talk. People can migrate to the regional country that they're ideologically aligned to. 

Votr!

There is no peaceful dissolution. Even if there was, it wouldn’t be long before Idaho is clamoring for war when Cascadia cuts off potato and fry sauce exports to Japan.

1 hour ago, Stealthlobo said:

I don't see how that will help much. It's not the states that are divided from each other it's the urban/rural counties. Living in Denver I feel Chicago, NOLA, and LA are much more familiar than Greeley and Grand Junction.

I got dogged and severely judged for wearing a mask in Grand Junction last week, and it's required and accepted in regularly in urban areas. Different types of people with different values.

I was in San Jose during the first part of the pandemic and then came back up here to Guanacaste.  I went into a small convenience store with a mask on up here before mask wearing became "a thing."  I remember one of the customers making a comment to the clerk like I looked like a robber or I was going to rob the place....kind of a rude comment.  I think some of the anti mask sentiment is also similar to the machismo where people refuse to wear helmets, seat belts, face shields in hockey, sitting out after a concussion in football, etc.  

Trump has taken this to another level...

Posted Image

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

There is no peaceful dissolution. Even if there was, it wouldn’t be long before Idaho is clamoring for war when Cascadia cuts off potato and fry sauce exports to Japan.

Greedy +++++s can’t hoard all our potato and fry sauce exports. Don’t be selfish.

Anyway, not looking good for the Calexit folk so far.

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Greedy +++++s can’t hoard all our potato and fry sauce exports. Don’t be selfish.

Anyway, not looking good for the Calexit folk so far.

Oh, we don’t want to hoard them. We just want well-funded public schools and free health care, and those are expensive!

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Oh, we don’t want to hoard them. We just want well-funded public schools and free health care, and those are expensive!

I agree, free healthcare is deathly expensive!

22 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I agree, free healthcare is deathly expensive!

Definitely, so a little tribute from Idaho should help. And since we don‘t really need much from Idaho, Cascadia will be in pretty good shape to add a little taste on everything.

I’m joking a bit here, but there is a larger point to be made. This will be among the issues that will make nonviolence a virtual impossibility. It’s easy to say “+++++ those libtard states” but most of this country’s major ports are in blue states, especially in the West, where Cibola and Greater Idaho would be completely cut off from Asian markets. Leaving the gateways for all your imports and exports to another country doesn’t seem tenable. The only way it would work in a way that fosters long-term peace is to have some sort of EU-like arrangement. Some way to unite the different states. ... We should probably figure out a way to do that.

24 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I want hawaii

I left Hawaii and Alaska out as I figured they could establish their own autonomy. @kalua pig can start up his Haole internment camps. 

10 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Definitely, so a little tribute from Idaho should help. And since we don‘t really need much from Idaho, Cascadia will be in pretty good shape to add a little taste on everything.

I’m joking a bit here, but there is a larger point to be made. This will be among the issues that will make nonviolence a virtual impossibility. It’s easy to say “+++++ those libtard states” but most of this country’s major ports are in blue states, especially in the West, where Cibola and Greater Idaho would be completely cut off from Asian markets. Leaving the gateways for all your imports and exports to another country doesn’t seem tenable. The only way it would work in a way that fosters long-term peace is to have some sort of EU-like arrangement. Some way to unite the different states. ... We should probably figure out a way to do that.

I think it’s an interesting question. My preference would be to keep the Union intact but part of me wonders if the extreme fractions will become the majority in the future. 

The intent of this POLL is just to gain a sense of how our fellow MWCBoarders feel. I’m a little surprised that @bornontheblue is the only “yes” votr. @818SUDSFan seemed all fired up about Calexit a few months ago. 

12 minutes ago, Bob said:

'Cibola' sounds like a disease

Its the virus 2 generations before Ebola....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

No.  Destroying the most powerful country on Earth because of political differences would be the stupidest mistake in all of history.  And we would be ceding the future of the planet to China. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Votr!

It would be interesting to see how people would want to break things up.   

Changes I would bet.   Nevada would not want to be a small landlocked country and would chose to align with Cascadia.   I would expect New England, New York and Mid-Atlantic would become a single state.  Kentucky, Missouri, West Virginia would go south.

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I think it’s an interesting question. My preference would be to keep the Union intact but part of me wonders if the extreme fractions will become the majority in the future. 

The intent of this POLL is just to gain a sense of how our fellow MWCBoarders feel. I’m a little surprised that @bornontheblue is the only “yes” votr. @818SUDSFan seemed all fired up about Calexit a few months ago. 

Can I change my vote to no. The question is should we. We should not dissolve, however we are headed towards dissolution whether we want it ore not 

It would take longer and cost more to split, than to actually act like adults and work together.  Plus I don't want the entire western coast to be beholden to SF, LA, Portland and Seattle opinion.  Diversity in thought comes from diversity in lifestyle and economy.  It works pretty well, just the howler monkeys on both extreme ends have folks thinking that it isn't.

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I'm absolutely against the idea, but it is indeed an interesting exercise. I have certainly wondered whether Oregon, Washington, and California, together would have the resources they would need to make a go of it. I think they would. But that is assuming Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon, and Central California — or at least Central California, which is in Cascadia in your scenario — remain in the fold. Regardless, any bloodless separation would be highly unlikely and should be factored in, too. And I don't really like the idea of shooting at Idahoans,  and them shooting back at me, even if they want to strip away my right to treat ketchup as a self-sustaining condiment.

12 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Can I change my vote to no. The question is should we. We should not dissolve, however we are headed towards dissolution whether we want it ore not 

Not really. We're not even close right now.