modestobulldog

Museum to remove statue of Theodore Roosevelt

They may as well take all statues down as just about all have some checkered past that offended someone. Let’s start looking at the art museums next. I’m sure there is a lot of art that depicts blacks subservient to whites. How about changing all the school and street names regarding Washington, Jefferson, and Roosevelt. 

If anything, the old southern plantation mansions all need to be burned down. That was where slavery actually took place. Replace them with Walmart’s and Costco’s. 

Apparently neither of you actually read it.  No one is complaining about Roosevelt.  They are complaining about the depiction of the two men next to him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bitteraztec said:

Did either of you read the article?

If anything, the old southern plantation mansions all need to be burned down. That was where slavery actually took place. They are worse than confederate statues. Let BLM burn those suckers down. 

Muh stachoos!

6 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Teddy Roosevelt was no angel.

None of us are.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

None of us are.

So, maybe none of us should have statues dedicated to us. :shrug:

• Cheers 1

I’m gonna go topple the first MLK statue I can find...  wonder how that would be perceived by the blm crowd...

11 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

They may as well take all statues down as just about all have some checkered past that offended someone. Let’s start looking at the art museums next. I’m sure there is a lot of art that depicts blacks subservient to whites. How about changing all the school and street names regarding Washington, Jefferson, and Roosevelt. 

If anything, the old southern plantation mansions all need to be burned down. That was where slavery actually took place. Replace them with Walmart’s and Costco’s. 

Maybe you should like look at the statue first. I like TDR, a lot. I'm fine with this statue being removed. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

I’m gonna go topple the first MLK statue I can find...  wonder how that would be perceived by the blm crowd...

He was no angel either; however, I have tremendous respect for him.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, renoskier said:

So, maybe none of us should have statues dedicated to us. :shrug:

I was suggesting (in jest), we should destroy and ban all art. Art is bullshit, it either embellish or distorts.  We shouldn't name anything after any person.  We need to rename buildings, schools, parks, freeways, bases, etc.

Per the article, Roosevelt's great-grandson also says it should be removed.

“The composition of the Equestrian Statue does not reflect Theodore Roosevelt’s legacy,” Theodore Roosevelt IV, a great-grandson of the president, said in a statement to the Times. “It is time to move the statue and move forward.”

• Like 2

So it matters not what having the black and indigenous men standing next to him was meant to depict? C'mon, people.

• Like 2

I mean, Teddy was an imperialist and racist, but he did enough historically significant stuff (like being the godfather of Christian masculinity) to warrant a statue at a museum. It’s a museum.

14 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

I mean, Teddy was an imperialist and racist, but he did enough historically significant stuff (like being the godfather of Christian masculinity) to warrant a statue at a museum. It’s a museum.

He also did a lot of heavy lifting to reduce the power of industrialists and improved the lot of the working man.  Let's just throw the baby out with the bathwater because he does not live up to how we think 100 years later.

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

So it matters not what having the black and indigenous men standing next to him was meant to depict? C'mon, people.

Yeah I feel the people getting outraged by this are ignoring the actual reasons for this being removed. Its not really TR himself but the depiction of natives and African americans in the statue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Yeah I feel the people getting outraged by this are ignoring the actual reasons for this being removed. Its not really TR himself but the depiction of natives and African americans in the statue.

Then chisel them off his statue.